My dream!!

Thanks everybody! It means so much to a nubie to read these uplifting comments:lol:. I am really starting to enjoy my tank. In the end the most important thing to me is that my livestock are happy and enjoy their home! And its starting to seem that way....:biggrin:

Getting a small outbreak of cyano on the sand, but directed my flow and its seems its subsiding a bit. I wonder.... could it be the last weeks heatwave???
Don't worry, me too
And with this week's heat, still under 26 comfortably.
How could the cayno know its a heatwave if they inside a environment that is stable beats me. Or how do they know its summertime? I got is also on the sand.

WOW Helga..:thumbup:..Just shows you what can happen if a "Newbie" masters the art of PATIENCE..you definately took that route and now you are reaping the rewards...!!! STUNNING...you are the prime example for the Newbies who wishes to do reefing the correct way...DEFINATELY a TOTM..:thumbup:

Don't worry, me too
And with this week's heat, still under 26 comfortably.
How could the cayno know its a heatwave if they inside a environment that is stable beats me. Or how do they know its summertime? I got is also on the sand.

Now see RiaanP thats what bugs me as well. No parameters changed on my tank. So I'm wondering is it indeed the heat/season for cyano. Something is cooking:whistling:. What really baffles me is that its just the left side of the tank that has cyano on the sand. The right side is abosulutely cyano free. The 4 Vortech is at exactly the same hight on both sides. Maybe the rockscaping is cutting of a bit more flow on the left. (question then.... why only now.... in the summer). Added 2 more loose pumps. 1 stirring the surface of the water and the other directed at the sand to agitate the cyano. I've upped my waterchanges now to once every week. Not adding any thing else. If I can, for as long as I can I'm trying to resist adding all sorts of chemicals to the tank to rectify the matter. Like to believe the tank must sort itself. From my side I will do regular and even more regular water changes, but thats it!!!
Hope I'm not going to regret my statement;)
We'll see!

Wow, love the look of your tank, specially the rock scaping and space. Your tank is now the blue print for my son and mine "one day" tank.

Also had cyano two weeks ago, my tank runs on a chiller/heater combo and always cycle between two values. Have had the same pumps and wave program since the start.

Played a little bit with the pump flows and slight cutback on food seam to have get rid of it, weird creatures cyano.

Cayno, not sure.
I got two display tanks. All connected to common sump and common remote DSB. 350L and 220L.
The 220L, fish got whitespot, so the first thing I did was to isolate it. Then I removed the fish and bucket quarantined them. Currently in another system.

Anyway, mu point is that the 220L, although there is no fish in it, the snails hermits and shrimps are all still there. And i do feed them everyday same time as the 350L.

Both on same temperature. Just above 25.

The 350L have cayno
the 220L got nothing. Nice clean sand. Best is, the overflow is not running. No skimmer. No water change. Just manual top up. And the sinularia in it is outgrowing the other one in the 350L by far.

Ja-nee wragtig Riaan! It also baffles me! I have testes and re-tested the tanks parameters. Nothing has changed. Except I have added 2 extra pumps for more flow (since the outbreak). Decided to last night bring the tanks temp down slightly. Did that through the night. Changed it from a constant 26 degrees to 25.7 which the profilux and chiller is handling perfectly. Might bring it down to 25.5. See if it helps. What I've noticed now is that the cyano is now covering 2 small patches of briopsis on the rocks. It looks as if it is smothering the briopsis (I wish). No cyano on the rest of the rockwork. I know anyone looking at the cyano would consider it to be "minor", the thing is, something had to change/react to make this happen. So how do I correct this.
Puzzling stuff!

my question is how much did this cost 100K- 200 K?

Hehe.... "Ask not thy question, and one would not get thy silly answer" :nono:

Shaunnorth, you should know better than to ask a lady such things on the Net, all in plain view of my husband to read. You are welcome to contact Adriaan from Idol Marine though, he can give you the full particulars of the cost of the tank. Then I can blame him!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

What sort of nitrate level do you have?
Some say that nitrates and cyno go hand in hand.

I'm also struggling with it, I suspect its my nitrates in the 15ppm range that are the problem.
The side of my tank worst affected, is that which gets afternoon sun/natural light reflection.
but its also the side I battle to vacumn - which defintely works

re-read this thread and your previous setups
WOW is all i can say... you are becoming a master reefer!

i am interested to see more pics of the overflow and how it was designed around the vortechs as my tank is the same design only smaller and 2 vortechs :)
and a nice guided picture tour of the engine room :) Adriaan is a master of his craft

i am interested to see more pics of the overflow and how it was designed around the vortechs as my tank is the same design only smaller and 2 vortechs :)
and a nice guided picture tour of the engine room :) Adriaan is a master of his craft

Ditto that & looking forward to seeing the pictures ;)

Back
Top Bottom