My DIY Recirculating Skimmer

awewsome diy. was looking at buying a new skimmer for my tank on the net this morning but now after reading this thread, Im motivated to build my own. thanks

Hi bru - I dont mean to diss this skimmer design but after factoring all the costs and calculations and time to build a skimmer - you will probably be better off with a TS2 or TS1 secondhand. The skimmer pumps with needlewheels are pretty expensive and the body of a skimmer should be smooth acrylic.

If you want to do a DIY cos you got the extra parts then by all means go for it.
Check the forum for great deals - I mean neo was selling a Reef octopus orca 100 for R700 buck which sells for R2400 new.
Complete System for sale 1mx0.65x0.6 for sale: Centurion - Page 2 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Regards
Duran

No problem Durleo, you are right (and wrong...;))

This Skimmer would cost me around R500, but it has a much much higher output than a TS1. Also, it is recirculating, which the TS1 is not. One can do the mod yes, but penny for pound this is not that bad...

I do however must admit that if you had to do this with clear perspex it would have cost an arm and a leg. But that is one thing I could never understand about skimmers, why do you want to see what is going on it in... lol...

But no, this can be as expensive as you want it to be. I got the parts quite cheap, and it is waaaaay overkill on my tank, but with larger aquariums I would still recommend with a commercially built skimmer or a very well designed DIY one.

What mine lacks in design and complexity, it makes up by the sheer volume it handles.

No problem Durleo, you are right (and wrong...;))

This Skimmer would cost me around R500, but it has a much much higher output than a TS1. Also, it is recirculating, which the TS1 is not. One can do the mod yes, but penny for pound this is not that bad...

I do however must admit that if you had to do this with clear perspex it would have cost an arm and a leg. But that is one thing I could never understand about skimmers, why do you want to see what is going on it in... lol...

But no, this can be as expensive as you want it to be. I got the parts quite cheap, and it is waaaaay overkill on my tank, but with larger aquariums I would still recommend with a commercially built skimmer or a very well designed DIY one.

What mine lacks in design and complexity, it makes up by the sheer volume it handles.

Aare you sure you do not decendant from any Russians? They always come up with simple answers, and when they cant find a simple answer, They just strap a bigger engine of rocket on it ;)

:lol:

Dont forget the pleasure you get out of a DIY skimmer. You just built the heart of your tank;)

I dont dispute this cos I have done many DIY stuff on my tank. The problem is where I have spent money and time and then I come to a conclusion that it would of been cheaper to buy it.

I dont dispute this cos I have done many DIY stuff on my tank. The problem is where I have spent money and time and then I come to a conclusion that it would of been cheaper to buy it.

Yeah, I freakin built a CLS on my previous tank that cost me just over R4000. I could have bought at Vortech or Tunze system and controller for that price... EPIC FAIL!!!

Back
Top Bottom