my dilemma

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by wookie, 14 Nov 2014.

1. wookie

wookie

Ok guys pls don't slate me over this but just need a bit of input here. I have been battling flukes for a while now and eventually borrowed a tank for quarantine, caught all the fish did a fresh water dip and then into qt tank which then medicated and did constant water changes and this went on for 2 weeks, the dt remained barren, the fish stressed a lot in the 2nd week and i lost 2 fish, so i decided to return them to the dt. All was ok and after 2 weeks it started all over again, as i didn't want to lose more fish i searched for answers and am treating with medicated food (praziquintal) but i am now thinking that maybe i should remove all corals etc to a spare 4ft that i just repaired , and then carry on with the meds and also do hypo salient in the dt with the fish, buy putting the corals and shrimp in another tank with the water from the dt for a month, i just hoping the hypo salinity of 1009 will end my fluke problem, i don't want to put copper or anything in dt, just med food and hypo. EISH :eek:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. weezle

weezle

Try buying a yellow tailed cleaner wrass he should take care of the
    Flukes , and this method dosent stres your fish.

4. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

I bought a cleaner wrasse 3 weeks ago to help and he was busy all over the fish and eating well and 2 weeks later got home one eve and found him lying on the bottom, yet he was ok that morning so don't really know why he died.

5. King_Triton

King_Triton

Common occurence with cleaner wrasses.. I would love to add some, but the longest I kept one was 2 months. And it ate mysis like a pig, but still died.

wookie likes this.
  6. Robsharkbait

Robsharkbait

Wookie,

Where do you buy medicated fish food from?
    Is it frozen food?

7. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Hi robsharkbait i made my own got the info at home not with me now but williet on this forum helped with the info. And it's done with frozen food and praziquintal and focus

8. Robsharkbait

Robsharkbait

Hi Wookie,

It would be great if you could share the recipe as no one
    supplies medicated frozen food in SA

9. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Will do when i get home tonight bud

10. Robsharkbait

Robsharkbait

Excellent!
    Thank you Wookie

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

even adding normal glass shrimp should help as all shrimp have natural cleaning instincts..

12. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Ok this is what i Did with the help of williet for flukes or worms in marine fish and is reef safe.
    Maxilint from your vet, a bottle of focus from your lfs and garlic guard from your lfs.
    1 tray of brine shrimp or marine mix i used marine mix defrosted and all water drained off, 40mill of maxilint as it contains praziquintal and focus half a bottle and mix with the tray add garlic but not too much you don't want a runny mixture. I then put it back in the tray after i washed the tray and then leave in the fridge overnight and freeze. Feed 3 times a day for 30 to 40 days.
    I found the fish ate ok but after a while spat the food out so i added unmedicated food at the same time as the mededicated food. From what i have learnt is that it kills the flukes in their advanced stage so the cycle has to run till they are ready to drop and this is when they die. Hope this helps, so far i have noticed a difference as my tang not shaking its head and swimming rapidly around, all corals, Snails and shrimp are fine and doing their thing.

Recent Posts