My cube to be

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dean, 9 Aug 2010.

1. dean

dean

Hey all. Ive been in the hobby for about 2 years now and im loving it!! Ive been on the forum for a while but i dont post often.[​IMG] I just read everything on the forum and would like to thank everyone on here for making it so usefull and interesting.

Ive decided that im going to go for a sps dominated cube. As im a student i dont have alot of $$$ to go for a automated system with a calcium reactor and the works, ill be manually dosing calcium and keep my alk in check.. I know that this takes more of a reefers time to manually dose a system but like i said im a student and have loads of time to do just that.[​IMG]

My system will be 800 by 800 by 650 which will bring the water level to 600. This gives me a total volume of 384 litres. Im going to make my stand a little bit higher than a normal stand as im a tallish chap and dont like bending to see my little critters doing their thing. Ill have black silicon and a rimless design.
    As for lighting im contemplating going for a 250 watt 20 000k MH suspended over the tank. I dont want to supplement it with T5s as I think this will be good enough???
    As for the filtration, im going to use my current TS2 and im going to transfer my ATS over to the new tank. Ive got loads of live rock and about 15 SPS frags waiting for the new tank.
    Im going to order the tank in a couple of days and the MH unit as well. (Frans will come to you during the week)

What i want to know from you knowledgeable folks here on the forum is do you think the light will be adequate enough for SPS corals and if you have any other suggestions???

Thanks so much.
    Dean
    Ps ill post pictures as soon as the new tank and goodies arrive as i know you are pic mad[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Hi dean...glad to see you finally stopped lurking around ;) The plan sounds cool 9as we discussed, but that lighting may kill you on running costs , maybe look 150 W with 2 x T 5 ?

I will give you a shout tomorrow to arrange to come over

BTW: this forum wont let you post pics from the other forum

4. dean

dean Thread Starter

Thanks Frans. I was just wondering if a 150 will be enough thats why i thought a 250. Would like the suspended look if you know what i mean. Jip saw the pics dont copy over.My bad... Just give me a shout and ill come over because i have a few ideas i want to discuss, like the overflow.

5. FransSny

FransSny

Hi bud , you got my e mail ?

6. dean

dean Thread Starter

Hey Frans...Nope did not get it. Maybe gave a wrong letter or something. would you mind emailing it again but to the email accounts i pm u. thanks...

7. FransSny

FransSny

Seeing that dean is on holiday again (hell must be tough being a student ;)), just a update;

Stand Issues was resolved , it can now go through the door without major re moddeling :)

Cube is gonna be awesome, unfortunately had to have the back pane re done due to the holes being drilled too small. This is gonna be one wicked cube :thumbup:

[​IMG]

8. dean

dean Thread Starter

Cool frans. That looks briliant. Cant wait to get it......

9. dean

dean Thread Starter

just a quick update. Seeing that im leaving the country for two months at the end of October i had to think about this new baby. Selling my old tank as it will be to much maintenance for my brother and going to set up this one for now till i get back as a coral only tank. Dont know if it will work thou. my brother said that he will come in every week to do a water change for me and feed the corals seeing that their wont be any fish in there while im away. hopefully this will get him hooked on the hobby as well!!

What do you guys think. could it work???

10. Afsal

Afsal

dunno dude , is your bru knowledgable when it comes to marines ???
    what glass is used on the cube , it very clear ....

Recent Posts