My cozy home reef

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Trev, 17 Jun 2010.

1. Trev

Trev

This is my cozy 1.2m reef at home. This is my oldest system running at the moment its just over 2 years old and the one basicaly runns itself for weeks everything is simple and straight forward. Please forgive the quality of pics the only camera I have to use is my video cam and its like 2megpix so some pics are red some orange and some green its luck of the draw.

Here da pitchas
    No pics of our Naso Unicornus as he is now with flappy in a much bigger tank

Trev

A fish race
    [​IMG]

Cheatodontoplus Mesoluecus, new to the display been inn since Monday

[​IMG]

Our rare blenny is rarely seen out in the open, an awsome creature

[​IMG]

The blennies normal pose and the CBB grazing off the rocks
    [​IMG]

The Undulated and Niger Triggers the baaast.......tards of the reef soon going to a new tank
    [​IMG]

FTS
    [​IMG]

FTS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Some more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saddle Toby Puffer fully grown been withme for many years
    [​IMG]

African clown and humbug clown and pair of humbugs going to the new tank
    [​IMG]

Black bar Picasso Trigger been with me for many years
    [​IMG]

Pair of Green Spotted Puffer one large and one medium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Large Damsel from mistaorange introduced this evening will bemoving to the new tank aswell
    [​IMG]

The Blennie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spotted Grouper and humbug
    [​IMG]

Fully grown Maroon Clown call Os, a big bully will also be moved to the new tank also been with me a long time
    [​IMG]

4. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

More

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Undulated Trigger
    [​IMG]

Fox Face
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. maj

maj

looking nice ther Trev1
    how many tanks do uhave?

6. Annoying

Annoying

Wow awesome tank you have there:thumbup:, very interesting lifestock to. Just a quick question... How are your corals going on with all those puffers and triggers in there? Are they nipping them or have they been trained to leave the corals alone? Another thing I saw was that your CBB is looking very thin, please correct me if I'm wrong. Is he eating any prepared foods? If not I would really recomend you get some of the reefers live rock close buy filled with aiptasia and place it in your tank. The CBB will get food and your fellow reefers will have aiptasia free rocks :thumbup:. Also try to get chaeto and more crevices in your sump for the breeding of pos, as pods is almost the main diet of the CBB, mine has lived of my tanks pods for a few months before the accident:whistling:.

7. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

currently have 2 we also kept a nano but its been stopped due to lack of time

8. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Non of the triggers or puffers have a liking for corals, actualy the CBB is no longer in this tank due to him not putting on weight and the reason was that the other fish were chasing out from under the overhangs where most of the sponge, dusters and other grazing grows so when I noticed this I moved him to the other tank where I have some other butterflies, damsels, tangs and a Moorish Idol. Now my plan is to moved the Undulated,Niger,Maroon clown,African clown,Humgug pair, Big Damsel over to the new tank that I am building then from the big tank I will bring the CBB back to the reef along with a Moorish Idol and put them in the reef at home. The settup is ideal for these guys in the reef only issue is the aggresion from these fish I will be moving out. BTW the Idol is also not coral hungry and I have my eye on the new angel as he has onl been there for less than a week so Im not sure yet.

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Looking good there, mate! Nice to see some pics of your (one) tank!

10. danimal

danimal

very cool mate!

11. Dane

Dane

looking good trev :)

12. crispin

crispin

Some lovely looking LS there trev, but i cant help feeling that the tank is very heavily stocked and with potencially aggresive species towards each other. You say its been going well for two years and I'll take you word for it, but to have two different triggers, three different puffer fish family, grouper and damels makes for an aggresive mix, plus CBB and angels. its just a very strange mix of LS IMHO.

i see you have an engineer goby which is one of the most undertrated and enjoyable fish ive ever kept, i bet he moves mounds of substrate around under that reef :) wonderful fish to have and they can be paired, so well done in getting him:)

the photos arent that clear, but where did you get your LR from. it seems fairly dense and compact, but you will know better than me. Just make sure that it can give you the filtration that you need from it.

Youve also got some lovely looking corals and i hope they grow out and cover your reef soon for you (and that some of those 50 50 reef safe fish you have done start eating them.)

sorry if i am raising some questions with regards your stocking and filtration of your tank, i just believe strongly in trying to pair appropriate tank mates together.

13. teez

teez

hey Trev,

awesome tank man ...

quick Q,

is that a blennie ? looks a lot like a eel

14. crispin

crispin

thats an engineer goby/ blennie

15. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

You have seen the reason for me starting a new tank build http://***********************/forum/showthread.php?t=21019

Actually there are three triggers a Picasso, Niger and undulated triggers and all the puffers are extreemly timid ( moffies actualy ) but yes this has become an issue due to my love for triggers and puffers. And although it has not let to any serious agresion I can see that the more timid fish would be far happier if these bigger and more agro fish wernt arround so we are building a nice cube tank for the big boys. and will leave the timid fish in the more mature reef plus bring the fish I would like to keep from my big tank home and then shut down the big tank as its on someone else's premises and it becoming an issue. Infact the day before I introduced the new angel I removed the Niger and Undulated triggers as the angel would never have been able to beging grazing with the two of them arround and would have perished, the two triggers are currently in my two quaranteen tanks but Im going to have a problem soon as I will be receiving another Moorish Idol in a weeks time and will need one quaranteen tank to be available.

As far as the rock goes 95% of the quality LR is in the sump return chamber and then in the display there is some fiji ( huge centre piece ) and some kenyan and locall rock but its all underneath the more solid rock ( bacteria and other orgs thrive better on rock which is not exposed to the general reef inhabitants aka predators so I dont understand why people put quality LR ontop of base rock it should be the other way arround ) the more solid rock is locak stuff that is just udes to create overhangs and I have also ended up with alot of corals which have been placed on local rock.

As for the fish I am more of a fish guy and the corals have only been in here for the last few months and I am still finding my feet as far as corals are concerned and the only coral issue I have had is stn on my purple encrusting acro which was cuase buy a sudden nutrient reduction when I started running the external skimmer.

Trev

16. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Yes also knowen as a convict blennie, a very rare specimen in SA not sure about Europe, USA and Asia and this is such a cool fish, yes he has a very intricut network of tunnels and can be an issue with poorly placed rock but an easy way arround this is to first place the rockwork then the substrate and let him go mad. I would like to get another one but they making quite a big impact on boi load so it may not be possible at the moment

17. crispin

crispin

sorry no i havent read that thread (or recall it at any rate, i'll have a look thru now).

One of the reasons that I am concerned with your fish choice (not the only reason) is that three triggers and three puffers could be a risk to all of them with the triggers having a potencial to get aggresive to a puffer, which does not defend itslef with aggresion but with the release of chemicals through its skin. this may well have a chain reaction to the other two and in a small tank like aquariums that has the potencial to wipe all life in that tank in an amazingly short time. So matching appropriate LS together is of prime importance in my view.

a nother point is the possibility of displaced aggression between the three triggers, in that they maynot take it out on each other for territory but on the more docile fish in the system.

just a heads up, i am sure you ahve plans for the tanks anyway and I will have a look through the other thread now :)

18. crispin

crispin

im afraid that link doesnt work for me to check that thread.

19. seank

seank

Is this called a Blenny???? And it does not eat fish/coral????

20. Garethmur

Garethmur

Common... thats an eel? isnt it?? or am I such a newb that i cant tell the diffs???

21. FransSny

FransSny

Snakeblennie

Recent Posts