My Copperbanded butterflyfish

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by viper357, 20 Jun 2011.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Just thought I would share my Copperbanded butterflyfish, ever since I have been keeping marine tanks I have wanted one of these fish, I bought one when I was a newbie and had no idea about their reputation as being difficult feeders, needless to say it died, only to learn afterwards about what difficult fish they were, I think it took me almost 3 years before I managed to find one that I was happy to buy...

I was glad I managed to find one that eats frozenfoods, before I bought him I asked the LFS to feed the tank he was in with brine shrimp, he went straight for the food and didn't spit it out so I knew I at least had a chance, he was eating frozen foods already so the battle was half won. Gladly once in my tank he continued and he now eats enriched brine shrimp, frozen mysis and frozen krill, I've had him probably about 2 years now, he survived a small disaster when my tank temp dropped to 11 degrees Celsius, transferred him to another bigger tank with more rock and he seems very happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

a stunner viper

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

i love this fish!!!!!!

5. SIMS

SIMS

I have one in QT

6. crispin

crispin

thats a beautiful specimin viper, congrats on a great fish i hope he does well with ya :)

7. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Thanks guys, this fish has pretty much been the holy grail of fish for me ever since I started the hobby, the one thing that was always in my mind whenever I visited an LFS was to find a CBB that was eating frozen foods. He's my absolute favourite fish in the tank and I talk to him every day.:)

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what's his name? :p

9. viper357

Don't laugh, it's Goldie, because of his golden bands.

10. Yuri

Yuri

CB looks in a good condition

11. KeeganP

KeeganP

very health looking fish that man, very nice.

12. keyaam

keyaam

Im jealous. I had two so far that ate frozens but just dont last long

13. student

student

Love this fish too! How much n often do you have to feed frozen foods to keep him well nourished? They pretty slow eaters aren't they?- so I'd imagine you would have to feed large amounts for Goldie to get his fair share before the other fish take everything..

14. Evo R

Evo R

Very healthy fish!

What size is he?

15. gavster

gavster

Lovely fish Viper. I'm a big fan of theirs too. No problems with your softies?

16. Helga

Helga

Aauw Viper he is so beautiful. I bought my CBB about 4 months ago. Also made sure that he eats in the LFS. He eagerly eats mysis/brine/krill twice a day. They become very tame. He gets so excited when he sees me with the feeding tube. You can see his little round black eyes roll with excitement. I squirt some food into the main stream for the other greedy fish, then set the Vortech pumps to feeding mode. Its as if he knows this is his turn now. He follows the feeding tube to the side of the tank where I squirt his helping over the liverock where he happily picks it off. He is such a sweetiepie:tt2::tt2: I have never ever seen him pick on any Softies or any other corals for that matter. Hope u have many, many moons with your CBB. Theyre very special!

My CBB
    [​IMG]

17. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Does he eat your corals? I'm also interested in getting one. Do you think he will survive in a nano with two clowns and some softies and lps? I love your fish. Looks amazing. Sorry if this is thread hijacking. If it is ill open my own one.

18. Helga

Helga

Mine has never nipped on any corals. But thats not say that they wont nip.
    There needs are very similar to the little Mandarinfish. They are constantly hunting for live food on the liverock. Your tank should have plenty of liverock to sustain this habit. They do learn to take frozen food ie. mysis shrimp/brine shrimp/krill without to big of a problem. And your LFS will eagerly show you that they are feeding.
    You did not mention the filtration system you have on the Nano. Even if the CBB eats fozen food, could the filtration system on the Nano handle the amount of feeds you need to give him to sustain him in such a small system?

viper357 likes this.
  19. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Erm No please do not keep this fish in a nano as its too small and cramped for this fish. I rate this fish in terms of its swimming habits on the same categorize as tangs and big angels

20. viper357

The tank gets fed 6 blocks of frozen food every day, 3 blocks in the morning and 3 blocks in the evening, each serving is normally a block of brine shrimp, a block of mysis and a block of krill. I wouldn't say they are slow, more shy than slow I think, but he has learned that if he doesn't get in there quick then he loses out, my regal tang is a bugger, when it's feeding time he zooms up and down the tank like it's a damn racetrack grabbing what he can and often startles the CBB, but you're right, they are not very bold eaters and you do need to watch your feeding sessions to make sure your CBB is getting enough food.
    Thanks, he's a big boy, at a guess I would have to say roughly 12 or more cm's from nose to tail.
    Thanks, nope, I haven't noticed him touch any of my corals, he spends all his spare time in and out of the rocks looking for pods.
    Thanks Helga, your's looks great too.

:lol: Yeah, they do love feeding time don't they, when I walk into the room with the saucer in my hand he recognises it instantly and gets so excited, nose up against the glass and he's back and forth, left to right so quickly that if he did it any faster he would start vibrating, lol. I must actually take a video of it.

Doesn't touch any of my corals, but as Helga and Ziyaad have stated, really not an ideal fish for a nano tank I'm afraid, I would say a 4ft tank would be a minimum size for these fish.

21. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Nice CBB Dean! Thats quite a long time to have kept him alive...very impressed! I had mine for 4 months and he was doing well, even ate Nori :p Alas lost him to Flukes, been thinking of getting one again just looking for the right size is all.

Recent Posts