My convict surgeon loves his shell!(mystery solved)

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by CharlieB, 2 Oct 2013.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB

For a while I have had a mystery in my tank. I have a few Large shells in my tank and I keep turning the one upside down so the fish can swim in and out of it yet by the next day the shell is flipped over again. Ive never understood it cause I dont have extremely strong current nor do I have very large fish ( my nano tank is only 120l ).

Well today I added 2 new corals and while I was busy I flipped the shell upside down again and went away to wash my hands, when I came back I finally saw my convict surgeon swimming against the shell in a flurry in an attempt to knock it over again! Mystery solved. So cool to watch (like a dog pushing a ball with its nose) although its a pain as well cause he flings substrate all over the place.

It all makes sense now because every once in a while he loves to rub against the shell.

Random post I know but thought I would share anyways. Has anyone else ever seen this behavior?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SteveZi

SteveZi

maybe the fish is trying to rid itself of the "ich" of being in such a small tank...:whistling:

4. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Gosh, that's all someone can say. Waste of time posting really. He has lots of swimming space, is super healthy. As are all my fish. I also live about 300m from the beach so as soon as he gets a bit bigger he will be going back to his big home...... Damn where is the appropriate smiley when you need one.

5. SteveZi

SteveZi

hehe, yes darn those smileys - well convicts are one of those resilient species and the reason for being super healthy is that it knows that scratching(flashing) against something will rid it of some ectoparasites.

6. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Oh so that's what flashing means. Wow ok at least now I know.......... :cool:

7. KeeganP

KeeganP

:whistling: Please tell me you're kidding about this part....

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Why? What's the prob with putting him back in the sea?

9. KeeganP

KeeganP

Do you have any purchased coral in your tank?

10. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Yes I do.

11. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Can it introduce disease?

12. seank

seank

Charlie, basically what it boils down to, is if your fish lives in captivity, and you place him back in the ocean, it could be that he have some parasites of some sort, and he will infect the "wild fish" in the ocean, spreading the disease and basically wipe out the entire fish population in about a 50 km radius, spreading even further, and eventually wipiping out the fish of our entire coast line..... But...... It does not stop there........ Noooo...... Maybe a migrating predatory fish eats one of the infected fish, spreading the disease worldwide, and wiping out our entire ocean....
    Sooooo, your one fish would be the result of the extiction of the worlds fish population.....

13. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

A little extreme wouldn't you say. But point taken thanks Sean. I was under the impression that with the ocean being such a large mass of water parasite were not spread easily at all among fish. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2013
  14. KeeganP

KeeganP

15. Dave F

Dave F

A prezzie for you:p

16. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Last edited: 3 Oct 2013
  17. seank

seank

Yeah Charlie, I know it is a bit extreme.
    If you think about it. Millions of liters of contaminated water (either farmers using poison, people washing their clothes etc next to rivers) flows into the ocean on a daily basis. Raw sewage gets pumped into the ocean on a daily basis. Surfers ( @Leslie_Hempel) pee in the water, boats and ships and ocean liners etc do their fair share of destruction too... Not even talking about mines, chemical factories etc...
    But, we as the minority have to keep our side clean.... So there would not be finger pointing at the end of the day (world).

As for me, I am not a tree hugger, not saying I do not care about nature (love it to bits), i fish, i hunt, i dive, i pee in the water, i put fish back in the water, i feed freshwater wish with bread (in dams, rivers) etc etc.

It all boils down to this.... We as reefers can try and justify as much as we want wrt our safe practices etc, but we still put wild LIFE inside glass tanks. Less than 1% (my opinion) of all reefers keep their tanks longer than couple of years anyway before they give up, sell their livestock to WHOEVER wants to buy it (yet they burst a blood veign when a LFS sells any stock to a newbie) Never have the tank long enough to see fish outgrow to their maximum size. Soo, they basically "move" their "responsibility" onto another.
    So yes, I can justify my statements, I can justify a lot of things to make me look like the innoscent victim, but it still boils down to the fact that humans F. Up. wherever they intervene.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. seank

seank

Nooo, this is good. Btw, post some pics of your fish. Would love to see it. :)

19. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Haha I'd never argue that Sean, hence the fact that I ended up with a convict surgeon in my tank! I'm new to marines, thought I was doing the right thing by buying all my licences and catching local fish and then I was wrong. I then learnt the mistake! So what can I do?

20. CheriS

CheriS

It is quite normal behavior. Mine is also very healthy, my eye stripe surgeon did it too. It's lovely to see, as if they play. I have noticed mine swims with one of the wrasses too, which lifted every rock it possibly could sadly, looking for worms. Surgeon maybe learnt it from him, or tried see if he could also find food! (and o to whoever thinks he might be hungry, he is a glutton)

21. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

But I thought MASA was about learning and sharing. So I was amazed when I saw what I thought was amazing and intelligent behaviour from this fish and was excited to share it with everyone. Instead all I get is some smart ass comment. I now read up a lot and am well aware about flashing, and the fact that this fish should be in a bigger tank and so on (wasn't aware of the introducing fish back to the sea hazard as I explained tho so thanks again). Live and learn I guess.

Recent Posts