My Bubble tip anemone? ....and clowns

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by archiecrain, 14 Jun 2011.

1. archiecrain

archiecrain

Here are some pics of my Bubble tip. I dont know what type it is can someone advise me? Entacmaea quadricolor? of some sort?

Been in my tank for about a month now, Touch wood its found a spot its happy with, although Im not happy were its moved too.....

As much as I love having it, Im surprised at.....

1)the tips are seldom the bubble tips Ive seen in the past (as illustrated by pics) I feed it every 2-3 days as I found it doesnt move if its well fed, am I right in saying that?

Before feeding see how extended the tips are

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whilst its eating see how tentacles start changing shape

[​IMG]

1 hour after eating totaly different shape

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) One of my clowns hosts in it at night, but gets stung by it during the day?

You can see the sting marks on her lower fins and she gets a fright when she touches one of the tentacles? Clown getting stung?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. hermie

hermie

I'm tagging along on this one...

4. archiecrain

archiecrain Thread Starter

here is a pic when I first got the anemone, cauld the 150watt halide @ 10k have a major affect on the anemone colour and tips?

[​IMG]

5. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

I want to follow along as well .... :) i see the same as you with mine !

6. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

BUMP:whistling:

7. archiecrain

@ZeroCool You have the exact same type of anemone? How much are you feeding it and what lighting do you have it under?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Anemone

Anemone

The black spots that you are seeing is caused from a sting, but not necessarily from the anemone. The condition is called Hyper Meleninization. More information can be found here: Black Small Smudges on your Anemonefish?

9. Anemone

Anemone

Archiecrain,

You anemone is an E. quadricolor. It does look like it “may” have lost some color. It’s hard to tell with its new position being closer to the lighting and the stretching of the tentacles. It doesn’t look like it is in poor health so I wouldn’t be concerned. Anemones can change shapes, especial while eating, and expelling waste. As long as you are not feeding to big of portions, and you’ve met all the other requirements of keeping this species, I would keep doing what you are doing.

10. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

hi there, i have the following light unit:

250W MH (20000K BLV Globe)

I feed it once a week line fish.

I read that some bubble tips loose their bubbles, and that is a natural thing.

11. archiecrain

Thanks @Anemone

Here are some pics of the anemone a day after feeding looking massive

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the silly clown goes and hosts in a Zoa Colony....I wonder if this is not why it gets stung.....she comes home to the anemone smelling like Zoas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Ari

Ari

Hehe:) I've seen some funny hosting of clowns. That is one beautiful anemone archie! I'm definately getting one in the near future. So, the anemone just decides to move there right? What happens if it chooses a comfortable spot like the front panel and it blocks your view. Is it possible to move it without damaging it?

13. Annoying

Annoying

Great looking nennie! Is the clown tank bred? I've read that they can "loose" their hosting abilities with the lack of a nennie in their breeding tank. This is just with a few specimens but slowly the clown should start to acclimatise to the nennie. Just give it more time. Nennies do loose their tips under certain conditions, it hasn't been determined what the cause is but factors like salinity,temp, and clown hosting have all had an outcome on the bubbles. If the nennie is on the front pane of the glass you can either let it move by rubbing an ice block on the other side of pane and then it will loosen. Or you can starts tickling thetip of the foot of the nennie, it will start to loosen and when you can get your finger under the foot you can slowly peel it off. Be very careful not to damage the foot and work very slowly.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2011
  14. archiecrain

Well if its not happy it will move .....But I Really didnt like were it had settled on the glass, so I moved it.

Its easier to move it off the glass than off rocks. All I did was a flat blunt object to slowly lift the foot (very slowly) and then it released its grip once I was half way. it has an iron grip so you have to be so careful not to damage it.

Then I turned the pumps off and left it over night behind my rockscape and it settled into a position it was happy with and luckily its where I wanted it to settle away from my corals....

[​IMG]

I must take new pictures this weekend

15. archiecrain

I believe it is tank bred.....slowly its getting better at hosting in the anemone....I see less sting marks and he is often hiding it during the day...he only used to host at night....

The tips change almost daily....somtimes they long and I know it needs a feeding....then they go fat...but I also find that half of them may be bubbles and the other half may be thin....I think it depends on how much lighting they get.

16. rakabos

rakabos

Interesting looking substrate you got there, what is it ?

17. archiecrain

Argonite... caribsee arg alive or something like that....

18. archiecrain

strange nennie

This is how it looked yesterday after feeding it.... its different shape and size almost every day.....

[​IMG]

19. Anemone

Anemone

It's not yet undertood why this happens. I do believe it does have something to do with light and feedings.

Your anemone is looking awesome! :thumbup: Keep doing what you are doing!

20. Hermanus

Hermanus

Nennie looking good :)

21. archiecrain

Damn thing split

I have been having a bit of Drama with My Bubble Tip, about 4 weeks ago it split, so now I have two rather stressed anemonies in my tank....they are hiding beneath the rock work in the tank and just peep out every so often. They have subsequently bleached slightly, although they have healed, they are not eating properly.

The problem I believe is due to it not liking my clowns, anemone shrimp or porclain crab hosting in it.....they will often close completly when something tries hosting in them....

So my dilema is do I try find a new home for the clowns, anemone shrimp and porclain crab and allow the anemonies a chance to recover....? I dont think I should risk trying to move the anemonies.....

Recent Posts