My brains not looking good.

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Ocean, 4 Dec 2008.

1. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

My open brain is not looking good at all it is starting to lose tissue in places and i am not happy with it at all, I have never been able to feed it as it will not take food like the other corals do. Could someone please tell me how to feed this coral or get its help up, i do add phytomax and chromomax every second day.

Here is a picture of the coral:

[​IMG]

sorry pic is taken with a cell phone.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Ocean, where abouts is it in the tank, what flow is over it, what lights are over it and how long have you had it?

Looks like a Trachy to me too ;)

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

My open brains have started FLOURISHING once my nitrate levels have been elevated (explicit over-feeding)..... before, they did exactly the same thing.... never really bloated decently....

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Firstly, the positioning of your coral needs to be looked at. These corals generally live with their skeleton in the substrate, with their fleshy part exposed to the source of light. The angle at which yours is positioned is stressfull in itself and the mantle cannot expand naturally. Also, these corals are generally found in deeper water, and under bright lights it does tend to get stressed, reducing its appetite. Yes it helps to make coloration more visible to you, but at what cost. Keep it upright with a bit of the skeleton buried in the sand, and you should see it expand its mantle, exposing more zooxanthellae to the light source. Once it is positioned correctly and given time to adjust to its positioning, start inducing a feeding response at night by switching off flow in proximity to the coral and gently releasing some fine seafood "pulp" above the oral disk. Do not touch the coral when doing this, or squirt food onto it with a syringe, as this will stress it and prevent a feeding response. once the coral starts to extend its feeding tentacles, slightly larger pieces can be fed, but not larger than a few millimeters.

This coral will not thrive in an environment because of increased nutrients such as PO4 and NO3. Elevated nutrients are merely an indication of overfeeding or insufficient waste processing. To a coral which is far from autotrophic, overfeeding or availability of excess food will cause it to thrive, but with excessive nutrients, algae will also thrive. Rather keep your nutrients as low as possible and feed the coral enough, then rely on good filtration to remove what it does not eat. irie

6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

An update?

7. Ocean

Ocean Thread Starter Lazy Sea Slug

I found the problem my tank was running at 33C and cooking my LS, it died before I found this out. Sorry for not updating, I have learned a lesson have TWO thermometers for temp as one could be reading wrong.

Thanks for the help Ivan

Recent Posts