My brain

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by deadmeat2016, 5 Jun 2010.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Hi, just posting to ask if this is worth the R220 I paid for it, and what is its species?

[​IMG]

I took the photo during feeding

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL

hmmm, what you should do is get soem contact details and MMS someone before buying if you have any doubdt. I have an open brain similar and have never been too concerned with getting it's actualy name - I just call it "Brain" ;).

My concern is it's current condition, have a look at the pics of mine to give you an idea of what it should look like (tried to get different angles, sorry for the quality but I ad to snap with my phone, other camera broken - it took a shower in a rain storm:(). Keep in mind that I have just had to switch the light on to get this pic so the tenticles are extended slightly, normally the tenticles of mine are about twice this volume. My total Open Brain Coral size is roughly 12cm x 7cm, tried to get an approx size and din't want to put my hand in the tank now so measured from outside.

It has eaten a 2x2x2cm cube of Krill about 1,5hrs ago and when I feed it, I find it's tenticles arent as enlarged as non-feeding nights.

Bottom line is I think you have a lot of recovery work to do with yours, if it will recover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PeterL

PeterL

What I forgot to mention is during full light, the tenticles are not as pronounced, the outer rim tends to be more visable...I am really concerned for that brain of yours, you might also consider lifting it higher to the lights and feed it even as much as twice daily to try get it to recover. I would strongly suggest you get yourself some brine shrimp (frozen) from your LFS if you don't already have and specifically target feed this guy on it's own.

Take a 2L coke bottle and slice the bottom off - giving you a funnel looking unit. See pic below, I use this container for all sorts of things so it is dirty, but it shows you what I mean.
    [​IMG]

This allows you to cover the coral with the top half containing just the neck and cap, obviously leve a bit of the bottle tube which will slide over the coral. If that is too small, you get those 5L Valpre bottle which also works in the same fassion for targeting larger corals. Once you have covered the coral, you spray the shrimp (defrosted in a glass bowl with a scoop of water from the tank - allow to thaw on it's own,no additional heat to speed up defrosting) all over the coral using a syringe.

The point of the bottle is to limit the current around the coral so that the food stays there for it to eat, water flow simply blows the food away before it can eat. Also by using the side of the bottle with the cap, you can close the top of the bottle when you have fed and leave it undisturbed for about 20-30min so that it can feed. It will keep the fish from eating the food which is meant for the coral, after 20-30min, you open the cap first, then lift the bottle. The point of taking the cap off first is to prevent a vacuum which will happen and it just makes a mess. Slowly lift the bottle up and what ever food has not been eaten will blow around the tank and the fish will have a feast and clean up for you.

It all sounds like a lot of work but it may be one of the only options you have to save the coral. You don't have to use brine shrimp, ther are other foods available which are also smallish and fine. That open brain of yours is not in a condition I don't think to try consume large foods yet.

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

Dude

Dude, seriously grate, that is such a neat idea, thanks:thumbup: Once i fed him he inflated ALOT, i also have a meat coral which one polyp bleached untirely but i got it goin again bit alot of feeding:), the feeding caused algae problems but with this technique i think tht will be cleared up, thanks again buddy:yeahdude:

6. PeterL

PeterL

Sweet man!! Keep us posted with updates to see how it is doing...
    You won't believe that my Candy Cane coral just went south over night and was twice as harsh as your coral, it was a week back and you would never say today that it was ill at all.

You will find that once the brain is doing well, you can just hand it a whole frozen block and it takes if from you without you having to cover it up. I have found that if I feed about 30min before lights out, the fish are already preparing for sleep time so they aren't as active and tend to leave the brains food alone because it takes mine about 5min to get the food in.

7. deadmeat2016

Cheers dude, looking at him this morning, he's blown up like a balloon, about twice the size as on the pic, will take some photos later today:thumbup:

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It is not recommmended to thaw out frozen food directly in tank water and add to the system - unless you want nutient problems and nuisance algae later on.
    Very large stable systems with lots of filter feeders can handle that, so be careful.
    Thaw the frozen brine shrimp in RO water, pour it through a tea strainer to get rid of the pack juice, flush with a little bit of tank water. Now you can feed by putting it in a glass/cup with tank water.
    Also, never feed LPS corals larger pieces than 6mm (adult artemia size). The reason being that big food particles hardly or never reach the bottom of the ocean on a fish active reef, so most LPS corals, which naturaly live a bit deeper, get all the small scraps. Don't feed the whole block of frozen food as the centre is still frozen and very cold.
    When a LPS coral takes a biggish piece of food, it is not to say it will eat it.
    It will "vomit" out that big piece later on when you cannot see and then a few weeks/months down the line you cannot understand why the coral faded away and died. Feed small pieces.
    LPS also require medium light and medium flow - too strong flow will tare the flesh from the skeleton.

9. deadmeat2016

Thanks man, i havnt been flushing the food with RO water which could be the source of my algae problems, i fed some krill like peter suggested but they are a lil bit bigger than 6mm, say a cm maybe:whistling:. I always thaw before i feed :p and using the coke bottle idea I fed him and he ate like a pig:p, its mouth is bigger than the krill so i thought it was ok, this is him after munching the krillies

[​IMG]

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

From the pic he looks OK, let's hope I'm right :)
    If he doesn't have broken skin or the skin is not torn off from the skeleton, the chances of getting an infection is minimum and he should make it. Just feed him 2-3 times a week ;)

11. deadmeat2016

Thanks guys, i hope he lives a long green metallic life :)

12. PeterL

PeterL

The info provided has contradicted everything I do to maintain a growing open brain. The time it takes my iopen brain coral to eat the "frozen block" is the time it takes for it to defrost so it is eating a pile of food. Of all the blocks I have fed mine, I have only once seen it spit out one of the bits of Krill. It tends to eat up the whole block of food and the following day, take a dump which looks like a small spider web like snotty sack with a little bit of junk in it...ends up being a long string hanging from the mouth with this sack attached to the end and that heads out the o/f.

I don't have that many cleaners yet also don't have much in the lines of algae growth. My system appears healthy and growing...Based on the info you have provided, I feel like I am doing things very wrong - yet things are going strong??? Can you help me understand better maybe.

13. deadmeat2016

i second that! :p, i do reckn u should thaw first though, a technique to move a nennie from glass is to apply the ice block to the glass and the nennie moves, so would the coldness of the food not potetially shock the coral?:w00t:

14. PeterL

PeterL

For sure, if you see the cold is problematic then it clearly is.
    The reason I said that I feed a whole frozen block is by the time I get the food to the open brain is the edges have thawed a bit, I don't bomb it at the coral. I hold it in the water for a bit, then as it begins thawing I take it the whole block. The time it takes for the coral to consume the block, it has thawed and 99% of the time I see like a "pile" of thawed food being held by the "tenticles" and it draws in what it wants to eat.

When it comes to feeding a nennie, I can't help, I do however know that feeding a nennie frozed (cold) food is not good in that they are to my understanding rather sensitive creatures. I have chosen to to keep nennies because of their nature and required attention to exacting standards within a tank otherwise they become unhappy.

I am still learning each day in volumes so I have chosen for now to go with a system which has more forgiving corals and fish should I make a mistake along the line. Until such time as you are completely informed and know for sure what is happeneing and how, I would not recommend venturing into difficult life forms within a marine tank.

It is challenging enough in learning the finer details, the last ting you need is to be "fighting" against your system simply to keep it alive - that takes the pleasure from reefing.

15. deadmeat2016

I understand your point, im a more curious than cautious kinda person and i jumped in with both feet getting a nennie when i was still a noob, not had a problem with him for the past 5 months and hes bigger than a dinner plate nw, i think im obsessed with brain corrals and nennies :p

16. PeterL

PeterL

Wel that is what we are all here for, kinda help one another out when things get out of hand or just for that extra bit of help. Great to hear things are improving

17. Amoré

Amoré

My open brain is not eating....

Recent Posts