Urgent help needed My brain coral dying ?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by neo, 11 May 2010.

1. neo

neo

Pls help.:banghead:
    seems my brain coral is dying.
    I reduced my lights for the last week trying to fight a bad cyno outbreak, and adjusted my pumps for more flow over substrate for same reason, also did a 20% water change on 1 May.
    Then I went on an overseas trip and my wife looked after the tank, but the pumps where blowing sand onto the brain and it got angry and produced some web-like threads, my wife gently rinsed the sand of inside the tank (basicly waving the brain in the water) and re-located the brain (she was strugling to adjust the pumps), but then the brain realy got mad and now it looks very bad and i think it's dying.
    What can i do ???
    I did another 20% water change on the 9th when i got back and upped the lights to 75% the normal strenth.
    Pls. help.
    Bad cellphone pics but it should give an indication of the brain's state.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL

Dying, dang, it looks dead already.
    Anything I have had cyano issues with I have put in direct flow from a powerhead, I haven't had any issues with my open brain, other than it looking like it is shedding another layer of snot, so I fifted it to the direct flow and it didn't seem bothered by that excessive flow across it.

You could try that and see how it goes, the other option is to get a syringe and "blow" puffs of water at they cyano to help clear it to allow the brain to "breathe", it is being smothered quite a lot. One of my Candy Cane coral heads looked like that and it is now perfect, cleared up the cyano by blowing it off to allow the coral to move, at the moment, even if it wanted to, there is so much cyano holding it down that it can't expand. The light is important, maybe just reduce your time cycle that the lights are on.

4. neo

neo Thread Starter

There is and never was any cyno on the brain, just the substrate. The DT is for now clean of cyno so my light and water change and substrate vacuum is helping.
    But the brain......

5. PeterL

PeterL

Sorry man, I didn't look properly at the pics, it looked like te thing was covered in Cyano - my bad...

Is it not a lack of light which has done that?? I have mine half way up the tank and it seems very happy there, it also has medium flow of water across it. When last did you drop it a taste of phytoplankton or zooplankton? They do require a healthy dose (by that I mean good food, lot meaning too much) of food which it wouldn't get i a reef aquarium like it does in the ocean

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

With so much skeleton exposed it's normally at a point of no return, however, given the correct conditions there is a slight possibility that it may heal itself and grow again. Do you have any shrimps or hermit crabs that show signs of trying to eat it?

7. neo

neo Thread Starter

thx guys, no the hermits leaves it alone, yes maybe it starved or not enought light, i dont know, go figure, I killed the coral that's suppose to be easy to keep.....
    but my tree, hammer head, green polyps, hermits, teddybear (i discovered i have two of them) and life rock is doing fine, just a pitty cause i like the brain corals and feeling bad that this happened.

8. JD167

JD167

I'd say sump it. Place it somewhere where it wont' be disturbed like on top of your DSB. Make sure nothing touches it, that it has slow waterflow and enough light. Give it a couple of days and see if it recovers.

9. Furbz

Furbz

is this the green brain??

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed - I don't have much hope of it recovering.

I would suggest that you remove it from your tank, as it is busy polluting the water. At this stage it is, of course, also a good source of food for your bristle worms, hermits, and 'pods, but I would rather deprive them of a bit of food than have it pollute your water.

Hennie

11. JD167

JD167

Bump. Any update on the coral?

Recent Posts