My BoyuTL550

Discussion in 'New Members' started by StrayTang, 1 Nov 2014.

1. StrayTang

StrayTang

Hello Ladies and Gents

so i am new to the Marine scene (LOVE IT SO FAR)

i was one of those "aaahhh noo ways its just to much work" pffft... my planted fresh water tank gave me nothing but trouble hahaha...

so i went small for my first Marine system, i got my self a highly recommended BOYU tl 550 the new spec LED one.

then that tank stood empty for about 3 months, while i scoured the internet and spoke to any person i could find regarding how to, what to, when to etc...

Eventually, the day came when i took the plunge.

firstly i tried my best with the space to BULLET proof the filter chambers.

Inlet 1. Black standard Sponge and FLUVAL Pre-Filter Rings
    2. Standard Skimmer and Heater
    3. Fluval BioMax, Bioballs, ½ kg Live rock, Fluval ClearMax, Ceramic Rings
    Outlet 4. Boyu UV Filter, Standard Pump leading into the Spray Bar into the tank

it has been running now for 7 months,
    started with just substrate and 6kg of Blue Fiji live rock,

that ran for about 5 weeks,
    then i added another 6kg of live rock, and once the water had cleared up,
    i put in some CUC,

1 blue leg hermit,
    1 brown leg hermit,
    3 Turbo snails,
    2 cleaner shrimp,
    and a Spiny Lobster(Blue)

after a few days, i put in my 2 prize posetions, a gorgeous mated pair of Ocellaris Clowns,(Bonnie & Clyde)

i was so scared to add anything else to the tank but after a month or so, constantly checking water parameters,

i decided to put in a few corals, i went with,
    a green mushroom, frogspawn, star polyps, and a Kenyan tree,

after about another month,
    i added:
    a Royal Dottyback(very small one)
    a small yellow tang
    and 2 lyre tail Anthias

and after another month or so
    added the last of my corals:
    Elegance, Torch, Clam, 2 brains and a Hammer

this is how the tank looks today,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

can you guys give me any advice, on the live stock i have and if it is ok,

i do intend very much to move on to a bigger aquarium

Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Your tank looks great, nice work. :thumbup: Just your yellow tang will need to move on to a bigger tank as it gets bigger. :)

Also you may need to move your elegance coral away from your hammer coral, they might end up stinging each other. Elegance corals do well placed directly on the sand. :)

4. StrayTang

StrayTang Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the reply Viper, love this forum, some of the tanks on here really blow my mind!!
    Redpeppers for example, YOH one day...

to get back to my tank,

the elegance is quite high up and the hammer is right on the bottom next to the clam,
    the green coral below the elegance is my ever increasing in size FrogSpawn!
    that thing is growing like wild fire!

i did all the aquascaping my self, and with the size of the boyu its not easy to find a rock placement that i like, i have re-scaped that tank like 3 times, and i am never happy..
    coral placement is also something that i am not very great with, i would like to have a experienced reefer come in and scape my tank.

thanks Viper!

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Indeed, Redpepper's tank is definitely something to aspire to.
    :facepalm: My mistake, I blame the lack of coffee. :p I did mean the frogspawn, sorry. :blush: If you look at your tank at night you may see what they call "sweeper tentacles", these are what the coral uses to sting other corals in close vicinity. Just something to bear in mind and keep an eye on if you one day see one of your corals sulking and unhappy. :)

6. GordonNJ

GordonNJ

Also new to the game and with a Boyu TL550. Where did you get all your livestock, especially the CUC? And the led upgrade? DIY? Where purchased?

7. Reaper

Reaper

Very welcome to the forum.

I started with the same setup only 2 days ago, and my current aqua scaping looks very similar to yours. Your tank looks really healthy. True about the stingers, they maybe are a bit close to each other. And the tang might need more space.

Keep me poster about the clam, I'm just a bit worried the Boyu doesn't give enough light for them.

8. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Nice! But the yellow tang might need a bigger tank soon.

9. StrayTang

StrayTang Thread Starter

thanks so much for the comments guys,
    @GordonNJ, no i did not DIY to the tank the LED,s are the standard ones, they are VERY bright i must admit,
    @Reaper, i to was very skeptical at first about the clam, but he has been in there for ages now, the first 2 days he gaped abit, but now he seems fine! the leds in the lid of the boyu are very powerful,
    i actually had the problem of to much light had to reduce the amount of light time.

I know my yellow tang(bubbles) is going to have to go soon, i am not very happy with that, but i am sure someone on this amazing forum will have something to swap with me, one day, he is a very small tang, and for now actually seems pretty happy,
    i think he beleives he is a third in my happy clown pair, he acts like a clown, swims with them all the time, trust me to get a "special" yellow tang, hahahaha

my clowns are simply the most amazing thing in my tank, they know who i am, and will eat out of my hand, i fall off my chair every night laughing at them "sleeping"

i have a few places that i buy my inhabitants from, for fish usually Elite Aquatics - Fish Hoek as they are MAC
    for CUC and Corals, i use 2 places, Vision Aquatics in Brakenfell and Emperor Aquatics in Montague Gardens
    the great thing with Emperor, if you go there or phone them, Billy will order you anything you ask for, and will get it in pretty good time.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Brendan6

Brendan6

11. StrayTang

StrayTang Thread Starter

Brendan, your boyu looked awsome!
    I have a sneaking suspicion that ill not be keeping my boyu for much longer,
    And move to a bigger system,

However i heard today that my company might want to move me to another country, so ill probably have to sell it!

Worst comes to worse, ill sell it as is,
    Would anyone me interested?

12. Brendan6

Brendan6

Probably, maybe sell of the livestock individually but be prepared to lose quite a bit on the tank. There value goes down big time after being used. You MIGHT find a buyer wanting the full setup but its rare for somebody to love everything in someone elses tank, different strokes for different folks.

I still have my tank and refuse to sell it as its more valuable to me than what I could sell it for (future jellyfish tank)

And thank you :)

Last edited: 1 Nov 2014
  13. GordonNJ

GordonNJ

Shot Brendan! Set-up looks really cool. I was thinking of trying to keep everything in the Boyu sump. Was looking at the Tunze 9004 skimmer. Seems like great quality and that it should fit?

14. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

I've got the tunze 9004.
    Nice skimmer, should be perfect for your tank:thumbup:
    Speak to @George or @Anita they're sponsors on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. Brendan6

Brendan6

I have heard that the 9004 fits like a glove so go for it. Also If you contact George or Anita, look into tunze nanostream 6015. Awesome pumps! Cheap as well.

16. brads

brads

Great tank!

17. GordonNJ

GordonNJ

Lekker, thanks guys! Yep, I was thinking what powerhead upgrade for the LT550 would work best. Thanks Brendan! Those two should help getting the tank in to shape. Been neglected a bit. What stuff would clean the rocks and substrate really well? Inverts, diamond goby? Need to nail small aiptasia as well. Peppermint shrimp?

18. Brendan6

Brendan6

Inverts...sexy shrimp are amazing. Cleaner shrimp are also great to have. Peppermint shrimp might whack the aiptasia.

Say no to the sand sifting gobies unless you are willing to sell it when it outgrows the tank. I will only have 1 in my 1.3m tank.

19. GordonNJ

GordonNJ

So what's good for the substrate nano wise?

20. Brendan6

Brendan6

The kind that looks nice...

You can even cheap out and use kids play sand. But if you like some flow, don't get sugar fine aragonite as its light and can get blown around.

21. StrayTang

StrayTang Thread Starter

Well look who decided to show himself today..

[​IMG]

i love this guy,
    and the noise it makes is something else!

i am going to be moving some corals around today, on the recommendation of you guys, i don't want my frogspawn and Elegance to fight...

tank is doing great!
    i an down to having to water change every 2 weeks or so, just the occasional top up with RO,
    water parameters have really leveled out, so happy, that this little tank is pretty much self sufficient,

once again, to summarize

Live Stock:
    1 x Yellow Tang (bubbles)
    Maited Pair Ocellaris ClownFish (Bonnie & Clyde)
    2 x Female Lyretail Anthias (Anthia & Anthea)
    1 x Royal Dotty Back (Dot)
    1 x Green Mandarin (Drago) got him recently(probably wont keep him) (any takers)

CUC:
    2 x Cleaner Shrimp
    Blue Leg Hermit Crab (jerry)
    Brown Leg Hermit Crab (Kamikaze) for some reason this fool likes to jump off rocks
    Spiny Lobster (blue)
    2 x Turbo Snails
    2 x Tongan Nassarius Snails

Corals:
    2 x Brain Corals (red/green and Lumo Yellow)
    Crocea Clam (purple)
    Kenyan Tree
    Green FrogSpawn
    Green stem purple tip Torch
    Green/purple Elegance
    Green Star Polyp
    Blue/purple Hammer
    Green Mushroom

Guys so i stopped in at a much recommended fish shop, and i saw this little guy, R100, but MAAAN he is SOO thin!!
    i could not bear to leave him in that tiny tank WITH NOTHING ELSE, no rock, no sand, nothing!
    i know i have some copepods for him to eat, and he is picking all the time, like he missions around and is for sure picking at the glass and rock!

isnt he the most beautiful thing you have ever seen!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i am in Burgundy Estate, if anyone, has an abundance of copepods, either to sell me, or to allow my Dragon in to feast, please he is so so so thin, i could not bear him dying!

Recent Posts