My Box Jellyfish

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by Fanie, 30 Apr 2014.

1. Fanie

Fanie

After some great advice from Midnight Reefer, I caught myself two South African Box Jellyfish Carybdea branchi today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm only posting close up pics because they're in an ugly 60 liter rectangle at the moment:p and before everyone tells me they need a cylinder or kreisel tank, this was my experiment. Midnight Reefer told that they could swim extremely well and I saw that first hand today when trying to catch them without getting stung. I read some people were keeping lagoon jellies in rectangular tanks because they could move without currents. I thought this would also work with the boxies, and so far it looks good!

So this is where my questions come in. This is my first marine tank (I know not exactly a great starter, but I can assure you I've researched a lot!)

I'm thinking about putting them in a Boyu tl550. How strong is the current from that spray bar? I want a minimal current, not to tear them. Also do you think the overflow would suck them in? I thought of this tank because the overflow looked the most suitable out of all the plug and play type tanks.

Food wise I am planning on feeding them frozen Mysid I caught in the harbour as well as from the pet shop. I saw the mysid stuck in the tentacles, but I still have no idea of how they get it in their bell. Has anyone seen how box jellies eat?

I hope to discover a lot more about the limited knowledge of this species. I assume I am the first person except for the aquarium to try keep these, so If their is anyone out their with experience of this species, I would love to hear from you.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pantoffel

Pantoffel

Wow awesome they look so cool.

My wife mustn't see this thread she always nagging me for a jellyfish tank but I know nothing.

Good luck and keep us updated.

4. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

Jellyfish poacher!

Nice work @Fanie. But an overflow is a no no with jellyfish unless it's specially covered. But box jellies are indeed strong swimmers. Frozen foods work well as they eat pretty much anything they can sting, I have caught several while they were busy digesting a klipvis.

Those 4 dots on the top of the bell are eyes! they can see.

For feeding, just squirt some frozen mysid near the tentacles, they stick to the tentacles and the jelly sinks to the bottom while pulling the tentacle in, very easy once you get the hang of it

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Fanie

Fanie Thread Starter

I still think the boyu with the overflow might work. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Them eating klipvis sounds really cool! I want to try it if this works out and maybe post a video.

I saw them eat today. They are extremely intelligent for something without a brain! When something gets stuck in one of the tentacles they bring only the one tentacle in and put the food in their bell. The food then collects at the four corners where the eyes are.

I read on the Internet that they also have eyes on the side of their bell (small black dots seen in the image). Some of the eyes are used as light sensors and others as Midnight Reefer said can see colours and shapes which are used for navigation.

I will keep you updated on any new things I learn about them.

Midnight Reefer likes this.
  6. shan

shan

Very very cool

7. Nico123

Nico123

Just keep them away from any powerheads

8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Interesting...

9. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

10. jimmyb

jimmyb

How are you stopping them getting sucked against the out-flow for the filtration? Or are the currently in a talk with no filter? You will have to make sure there is some water flow in the tank because although jellies will survive in lower oxygen levels than fish they will still die if the DO gets too low.

11. Lisa Van Zyl

Lisa Van Zyl

Box Jellies

Hallo Fanie,

My name is Lisa. You bought the Boyu Tank from me a couple of weeks ago. Can you please contact me on 083 ...........

Last edited by a moderator: 30 May 2014
  12. jclaas

jclaas

@Lisa Van Zyl rather send Fanie a private message with your number. You can do that by following a tab on his name. You can also edit your post to remove your number if you wish

Last edited: 29 May 2014
  13. Fanie

Fanie Thread Starter

I've been quite busy with exams and other stuff, so only got time for an update now.

The shape and noob friendly design of the tl550 worked great, but as you guys said the overflow started to suck them in after a while. I stuck some plastic bonsai mesh to cover the overflow which solved that problem.

Then came some other problems. As most tl550 owners know the pc bulbs run hot and the temps started to go into the twenties. Wouter warned me that I will need a chiller, but I thought they would survive.

So after only two weeks the proteins in the jellyfish started denaturing from the heat (or thats what I think happened) and resulted in deformed jellyfish. Later holes started forming in their bell, it was not nice to watch! I think this could also have been due to them bumping into the sides of the tank or high ammonia/nitrate as I didn't have a test kit at the time, but it was most probably the heat.

So what I've learned for anyone that wants to try them:
    They will eat almost anything
    Temperature should be kept down (like 15 degrees)
    Square tanks are alright (not sure about this though)

Since then I've converted my 550 to a reef tank that's been much easier to care for. In the future, when I have the correct equipment (chiller), I might try them again.

Recent Posts