My blue throat trigger thinks he is a ninja

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 17 May 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

So, my beautiful full of personality and fav fish - Blue Throat Trigger (Male) goes ballistic at night.

I have sat up at night to watch him with all sorts of colored torches .... and he behaves. I put the light down and with in 30mins the mad man is trying to jump out the tank.

Its always only:
    1. At night
    2. When the lunar cycle on the lights has all the lights off (including moon lights) - some reason the moon lights seem to calm the fish down at night

I have resorted to having a thick rim made of egg crate around the tank during the day and at night I have to cover the entire top of the tank.

What could be causing this bugger to want to jump at night....

During the day he is the most passive and well behaved fish in the tank. Never fights only when one of the tangs are on drugs and tries does he give them a PK.

Would be interesting to hear what you guys have to say.....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

how much external light does the tank get. Lights on in the room, or from another room? It sounds like he might be reacting to an inetrnal reflection of himself when the tank lights are off.

obviously leave the moon lights on untill you figure out whats stressing the fish, you def dont want to have it jump or injure itself trying too and if the moon lights help to calm him then use them.

mytank likes this.
  4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

@crispin - thanks for the info - the room goes TOTALLY dark. I suspect the Tangs are giving him stick for sleeping places. I would expect the Trigger to react though....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Hails

Hails

Maybe theres a nocturnal predator hiding in the tank that scares the fish at night only.

mytank likes this.
  6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

But then all the fish should be reacting and haven't had the smaller fish disappearing. I have small Chromis and Anthies all healthy.

The trigger isn't a push around he is a big boy I am sure he would destroy a crab etc

But that was my first thought :) thanks Hails

7. crispin

crispin

you would see if it was other fish pushing him out the reef when they sleep, and a trigger is not a fish that normally gets pushed out by tangs, if in doubt they raise the 'trigger' and wedge in so as not to be moved.

how big is the tank again, and how much live rock?

a rescape could help, but then Id suggest redoing one side compløetley and leave the other side, see if that helps with territory from the tangs

8. crispin

crispin

i think that unlikely as blue throats are big fish and i am sue smaøller fish would be taken first, also its unlikely to be a nightly reaction by the fish.

Whats the PH at night?

9. Hails

Hails

insomnia and boredom are the next guesses lol

10. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

With all the tank lights off, he can see what's outside the tank very clearly.
    You in your pajamas are scaring the bejeebees out of him.

mytank likes this.
  11. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

I have had triggers that freak out in totally dark rooms - it is presumably never pitch dark on the reef - dark on moonless nights, but presumably never as dark as indoors. A night light always helped.

I am presently using a blue night light for my clown trigger - a moon light from Marc Weiss Companies (before the company was taken over - don't think they still manufacture these lights though, but any night light should do).

mytank likes this.
  12. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Wow to @passer, @Hails, @AfricaOffroad and @crispin thank you guys I appreciate the quick response!

So to answer some questions: @crispin - in total 840l, trigger is about 10 to 12cm and FAT :)
    I am planning on a massive rescape when I get back - going to Germany tomorrow for 10 days. Already bought 40kg of live rock to add to my 30kgs, the sump has 18kg of fresh Texas Bone base rock which is EXTREMELY porous (mostly for filtering). It's 6 year matured rock so tons of bacteria on it and it's in holding tanks for me now. Plan on doing two massive Islands with plenty of hiding spots.
    @crispin - PH is around 8.02 at night from 8.2 during the day. I just bought a massive Calcium reactor the one in the for sale section to keep all those params stable.
    @AfricaOffroad and @passer, you might have nailed it on the head the entire tank is much more "stable at night" - I have the vertex Lumnia and it does lunar and normal moon lights. I am going just leave the normal moons on!
    @Hails - you guys should see this guy he has the most personality I have ever seen, he even lets me tickle him whilst I feed....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. maj

maj

i had the same issue with my Bluethroat but the female,used egg crate to keep her in and it helped for a wile till now recently where she found a gap and didn make it,sad sad sad i tell u

they hate night time for some reason and she was paired up

14. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Got two big pieces covering the top if he finds a gap he is a true chuck noRris ninja!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
Recent Posts