My Blasted Sump Broke !!!!

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by williet, 28 Apr 2011.

1. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi all

I have a two sump system (Wizards old tank Setup) with a 50 mm pipe connecting the two sump. I have the whole setup running (Tank cycled the works!!!) the first sump has da skimmer and sump rock. Second is for a DSB. Well... When I filled up the DSB with 60kgs of reggies playsand (sump is made out of 4mm glass) it was all good. The next afternoon - not so good. I had water everywhere in my lounge and it turned out to be the DSB sump. It has a good ol crack right through the middle of it. Now my question. How do I fix it ? Do I cut off the sillicone holding the base glass and put a new one in and silicone it back or do I have to do the whole tank over ???? I was thinking of replacing the base glass with about 6-8 mm atleast ? The weird thing is I did put in a pine sheet and polestyrene for support and their is a steel support running underneath the area where the crack is.The tank is also supported on the sides aswell by the frame ! Below is a before pick of the sump to give you an idea.

[​IMG]

All help will greatly be appreciated!

Willie:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Willie,

I'd recommend you cut the broken sump into its individual pieces, clean them all up with a razor, then silicon the whole lot back together. That way, far less chance of a future leak.

Also use a 6mm (10mm even better) base piece of glass.
    Have to say, I'm not a fan of 4mm glass, it breaks very very easily.

On the 50mm connection tube (between the sumps) try and use a flexible pvc hose.
    If its rigidly piped, any differential loading (like a heavy DSB on 1 side) could cause relative movement between the sumps and a crack to develop.
    You may want to use short bulkhead fittings in the glass on which to slide the flex piping, so that you get a good seal. Straight flexible PVC to glass will probably not seal. Not sure how much distance between the sumps for this set up to work?

4. durleo

durleo

If you gonna dismantle that sump you may find the other glass panes might stress and crack - I would clean the bottom pane properly with vinegar and then silicon a floating piece over the entire bottom. Do both the sumps so that you dont have any future problems and that both sumps are even.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

simpler method,
    Holes must be offset. one with hole in front, other at the back. Bulkheads and then 90degree elbows with connection PVC. If one hole is higher than the other, then the connector PVC is just not level, no problem. Distance apart, just cut PVC to length required.

Anyway, base must be 6 or 8.

6. williet

williet Thread Starter Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Thanks guys

There is not much space between the two? I have read guys patching the glass? Any thoughts on this?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got one 90L with a patched bottom.

Just wash it out, and then with a blade carefully remove the sand in the crack. When all sand is out it will "snap" back together. Then silicone over it. But I would still add another 6mm base under the 4mm.

8. williet

Hi Riaan thanks just checked the glass thickness it is 5mm ish... (between 5 and 6 mm)

Only problem If I add a 5 mm bottom, it will miss align the union?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes it will, is it a straight union?

if so, then add for safety the same base to the other sump.

10. williet

Ok just found out

My base is a 6mm I have now got a new 6mm base and an additional 6mm glass covering the dsb area for extra support on inside. Does this sound cool ?

11. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

You need to figure out what caused the base to break in the first place.

Recent Posts