my best catch yet

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by crispin, 31 Mar 2010.

1. crispin

crispin

i have two sets of anthias in my tank, with two developed males. They have been together as seperate shaols for a while (around 2 months) in 800l system and while one shoal was more retiring that the lyretails there was lots of interaction. Ive watched them closely.

today i missed the smaller male at early morning feed, which isnt that unusual as they are often in the reef and feed on flakes going past. when he missed the afternoon feed i looked carefully but didnt spot him.

ive just seen it lying at the back with battered fins and i assume its been due to inter-male fighting. How to catch a single fish (i am just worried about getting him out as he would not last the night in there I dont think, the other male would finish the job, i fear) in 800l system with 150kg reef and lots of hiding spaces.

i turned off all pumps, lowered a seio 1500 gently behind him, placed a net 5cm infront and tuned the pump on. with some fast net work after he was blown forward by the pump and he went straight in and is now dripping aclimatisating into my small tank untill i can house the whole shoal.

it does mean i have 4 females to catch and i think thats far harder with the reef going to be taken out, but i have time to plan that now i am just pleased to have the male out and into recovery. he does look beaten hard though :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

also while pumps are off (ive left them off while i dealt with him) i see the tangs have slipped in and cleaned the algae growth off the front, good maintanence guys :)

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Shame Crispin - it seems that the other male nearly killed your smaller anthias male!

5. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

yes agreed. and i need to get the females out fairly fast as he needs to shoal, holding thumbs he makes the night. but i think he will.

6. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

strange actually that it should happen today, when i was acused of either never making a mistake or not admitting to them, karma is funny like that.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL Crispin! That THAT is a "out of character" comment from you! ;) LOL! mate!

So - how's things going?

8. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

he survived the night and is in the nano but still on his own. ive been cohersed into helping clean up the spare room and only after that am I allowed to 'play fish nerd' as the non reefer calls it.

then i will try get the female out

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes fish nerd...

good luck with the ladies in the house....:)

10. colbar

colbar

Hope the little guy makes it. If you leave the females in for a while, would one not turn into a male.

11. Afsal

Afsal

that male will be fine by himself , i have a male in my tank for 6 months now without any females and he is fine. the other females should start shoaling with the other group ....

12. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

yes he would survive on his own, but not be happy.

colbar i think the lyretail anthiaa male has taken over the whole shoal (both sets of female) and he would stop the other females from reverting to male, but i still want to take them out and keep it as a shoal.

i managed to catch one of the females at feeding time and I think i'll just try that before i take all the rock work out....else I will take that part of the reef down at night as I know the area they sleep in :)

the male seems to have survived ok, im glad to have got him when i did :)

13. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I hope the little guy come right & good luck catching the ladies. yes it's easier to catch them @ night. have you tried using a fish trap?

14. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

to be honest i havent mista. the urgency was to get the male and i got lucky with him, now i can take the females out slowly as i have time as there arent too many issues. i really dont want to take the reef apart, although its easy to do as i havent got corals in there yet (nitrate issues so i am holding off on them). its a nice weekend job i guess, i havent been fishing ina while :)

i think i'll just go with a net and go slowly to keep stress levels in the tank low

15. lIghty

lIghty

Good to hear he survived Crispin!

16. Tim S

Tim S

Hi chaps,

On the goldie storey, I have 8 females in my DT. I have heard that the dominant one will turn into a male. I'm pretty sure this is is correct. The question is how long before this takes place?

17. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I don't know much about the goldies but with clowns majority are male & the most dominant 1 becomes the female which will become larger than the males. I'll look it up & get back to you k Tim

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Recent Posts