my beginner nano buyo tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by nadia, 4 May 2009.

1. nadia

nadia

Hi There. Im New To Site. Not Very Pc Literate. Not Very Young. Trying M Best. Would Like To Begin By Posting Pic Of My Small Tank. Approx 1 Yr Old. Will Have Lots Of ? For You Guys Out There. One To Begin With. I Have Recently Noticed An Increase In Numbers Of My Tiny Brittle Stars. Good Or Bad? How Often Would U Suggest Feeding My Soft Corals? And Phyto And Zoo Powders Ok? Also Have "coral Burst" And Dried Orange Coloured Stuff That Looks Like Little Animals.... Doesn't Sink To Bottm, Sort Of Drifts Around On Top. The Tiny Starfish Seem To Like It.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

Welcome to MASA. Fire away with the questions and post lots of pics.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Nadia. Great that you have found the forum, and joined us! AWESOME to have you on-board!

And don't worry about the questions - we are ALL here to ask questions, and learn from each other! Please remember: There's NO SUCH THING as a "stupid question" - only the unasked question!

Your tank is looking quite good.
    BUT, it would be great if you can post slightly bigger pictures, for us to really have a decent squiz at your tank! ;)

Also - the tiny micro brittle stars are AWESOME AWESOME to have. Some of the best "clean up crew" members that you CAN have!

I really hope you enjoy your stay here with us. Please don't be a stranger now, you hear!

Good luck with the rest of your journey into marines - keeping saltwater is a LIFESTYLE, and it get's into your blood! ;)

5. Apollo

Apollo

Hello Nadia and Welcome to MASA.

To answer some of your questions:

1. I wouldn't worry about the brittle stars. All good there.
    2. Insofar feeding your corals is concerned : Can you perhaps elaborate as to what corals you currently have in your tank. It is not too clear from the picture to see what you have . I can make out what looks to be some mushrooms and a leather , but it would be good if you could inform us of the exact corals you have.

Bear in mind that a large number of the softer corals derive their nutrition from the symbiotic algae living in the coral tissue. The algea are photosynthetic and deliver "sugars" to the corals as nutrition.Feeding these corals is not normally required , but as always there are some exceptions.

:)

6. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

7. seank

seank

Welcome Nadia

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Nadia :)

9. Tony

Tony

Welcome Nadia. The brittlestars are very beneficial

10. Falcon

Falcon

welcome to masa nadia,nice to have a fellow reefer from vereeniging around here,could you post more details of your set-up please and some pics of equipment etc.

:)

11. Al

Al

Welcome to the Forum!:)

12. crispin

crispin

hello Nadia, very nice to ahve you join MASA :)

seems like that tanks doing well, nice and clean as far as I can see:)

that orange stuff should come with a name on the tub...but try mixing it with a little bit of tank water first so that it absorbs the water and starts to sink before putting it in. Id also turn off internal pumps so that it spends more time in the tank and feeds the corrals a little better :)

welcome to the best marine forum you will find :)

13. IMarine

IMarine

Welcome

14. nadia

nadia Thread Starter

I Was Soooo Excited To Actually Have Replies To My Posting. Thanx All Of U !!! Can Now Understand Why My Teenage Daughter Is So Into Facebook. Falcon, From Vereeniging Nogal ?!! Awesome ! Do U Have Any Other Places U Buy From Other Than Our Local Visdam?

15. nadia

nadia Thread Starter

Have Any Of U Read Any Of Anthony Calfo's Books? I Tried Building A Tank With A "calfo Overflow". Was Quite Proud Of My Effort. This Is Now My 'holding' Tank For Any New Arrivals In The Future (when Tank Is Ready). Few Problems: My Evaporation Is Severe. Have To Add About 2 Litres Of Ro H2o Every Day. Probly Cause The Filter Is Open? It Works Well Though.

U Guys Talking Bout Water Readings... Do U All Have Those Very Expensive Things To Take Nitrate, Calcium, Etc Readings With? Isnt There A Less Expensve Thing I Can Buy . And Where ?

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Nadia - 2 litres of fresh water evaporation is not "that severe" as you MIGHT think. On my 2 metre tank, I have to replace at LEAST between 7 and 10 litres of fresh water in a day - this depends on how hot the weather is on that day.....

Could you possibly please post some bigger pictures of your nano tank for us?

17. Falcon

Falcon

hehe glad to see your enthusiasm,theres a few others from the vaal here as well,which area in vereeniging are you from?

i buy most equipment and others stuff including livestock from die visdam,however the aqua avaries in walkerville has some nice fish at good prices but he doesnt do other stock/equipment yet only fish.other than that i some times get from exotic aquaruims in boksburg but they are quite expensive comparatively! i find die visdam helpful(especially ernst himself).

Last edited: 5 May 2009
  18. seank

seank

Nadia, evaporation is a good thing, and as Jacques said, yours is not severe. Open filter tank- leave it open for above reason. Test kits for water parameters- there are quite a few on the market, but not all of them is accurate though. Please search the water flow/parameters forum for the better, less expensive test kits. Unfortunately I am surfing on my phone, making it difficult to direct you to the right thread.

19. Falcon

Falcon

Evaporation in this case is actually saving you the expense of buying a chiller,as without that evaporation your water temperature would rise and you would need to buy a chiller.two liters isnt too bad,what boyu tank do you have?how big is it?liters?

yes it is needed to test your water,you dont have to test so often as other people.

heres a few that i test for:
    nitrate-once a month
    nitrite-i only test if something looks amiss in the tank.(i do amonia also but it isnt needed really
    po4-once a month
    calcuim-well now once a month as i worked out my calcuim requirements but initially every two weeks
    alkalinity-same as calcuim.

during the initial cycle all the tests need to be done,but once your tank is mature you can test once in a while,you dont have to purchase these kits however as die visdam does do your monthly test for you for a small fee.i used to do this at first before i bought test kits.

20. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi there, Nadia,

and WELCOME to MASA

I see that you live in Vereeniging, and that you have lots of questions. Although I live in Bloemfontein, I am currently working in your area (near Sasolburg) :wave2: and have sent you a PM with my cell number - if you are interested I could assist you over the phone, or possibly pop round one evening during the week to look at the tank - please let me know by PM, or just phone me... :)

Hennie

21. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Nadia welcome

Recent Posts