my aquarium setup

Discussion in 'New Members' started by luke mac, 26 Jun 2011.

1. luke mac

luke mac

Hi all, ive been running my tank for some time now and thought its time to make a thread.

Display tank: L103cm/W65cm/H68cm
    Sump: L100cm/W65cm/H45cm
    Filtration method: canister filter, running posphate remover, carbon and nitrate remover
    Mecanical filtration: aqua medic nitrate reducer, aqua medic turbo floater skimmer.
    Lighting: 6x54w T5 bulbs
    Live stock: sail fin tank, royal grammer, 4 goldies, purple fire fish, dusky chelub, turn coat hog fish, cleaner wrasse, tamirine wrasse, peacock wrasse, bipotitis wrasse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sump
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Sweet looking tank man! How do the T5's fit in the hood as the 54w ones are 1.2m long.. unless you have 39w t5s? :)

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Looks good.

Is your skimmer working properly? Could just be the photo but it looks like there's hardly any bubbles in the reaction chamber.

5. Suhayl

Suhayl

Nice setup you have going there. Your sump water level looks pritty high to me. You should change that heater as they can cause you a disaster.

6. crispin

crispin

hey luke, nice looking tank, some interesting fish one doesnt often see:) especialy that turn coat hog fish :)

i see the tank is showimng signs of some GHA and some cyano bacteria which isnt a problem as it seems like the corals ae all happy and open, but id sugest trying to get ontop of these two pests now or they can leave you with an uphill battle later on.

Viper pointed out that the skimmer doesnt seem to have that much foam, and id think that it looks slightly underated for your system. Perhaps look at the pump on the skimmer and see if you can get it going, or even upgrade the skimmer I think you will find that having a bigger than reccomended skimmer for your tank vollume will stand you in good stead as you have a highish bioload already in the tank. It should help with removal of excess waste and food before it starts going through the N cycle. Id alos suggest regualr changes of your phosphate remover if you dont already, and the carbon as these will need regular changing to keep up the battle against phosphate (algae food).

one last thought.....i see youve sumped two naughty fish (both are often quite aggresive) but i wouldnt suggest keeping a tomatoe cklown and a domino damsel in the sump on a long term basis as they will have issues with each other one of these days.

PS nice pic of your significant other on the tank :)

7. crispin

crispin

just to expand on what suhayl is saying here.....the heater is best placed lower in the sump and horizontal so that there is less chance of it going dry and burning out.

the water level of the sump can be a concern if there is a power outage and the overflow drains down into the sump. if you dont have enough clearance to handle this additional water it could flood, causing upset spouses amoungst other disasters. Do you have a siphon break on the retun line too?

8. luke mac

luke mac Thread Starter

thanks everyone for comments :) i do wish to upgrade my skimmer maby to a reefteck ts2???? the maroon clown was a (naughty fish) so i removed him from the DT now need to find a good home for him, the sump level is high but i have fitted a one way velve to the return pipe so no water can come back to the sump during a power cut. i will move the heater thanks for all the advice everyone

9. Annoying

Annoying

Great tank, love the scaping:thumbup:

10. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

Niiice.

11. luke mac

luke mac Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. luke mac

luke mac Thread Starter

since my last post i have encountered a HUGE problem with cyano bacteria. i have gone out and bought a phosphate reactor and media for it, and also gone as far as to gone to buy a 7kg red sea salt mix to eleminate the chances of any more build up on the cyano.

Can anyone help me sort this out?? thanks

Recent Posts