my aquarium setup

Discussion in 'New Members' started by RossMckenzie, 14 Jun 2011.

1. RossMckenzie

RossMckenzie

Display tank
    length 1.35 meters
    width 54cm
    depth 53cm

Sump
    length 1.20 meters
    width 45cm
    depth 47cm

been running for about 6 months but only been putting real effort in for the past 4 months..the first 2 months were fustrating as i wasnt to sure on how to mantain a marine aquarium properly. But with the good influence and help from my brother i have a decent enough tank to make a thread :thumbup:.

LIVESTOCK

2 comets
    2 blue chromis
    1 bangaii cardinal
    2 common clowns
    1 black tail chromis dived locally
    2 blue spotted tamarin wrasse still juveniles dived locally
    1 scopas tang added it yesterday, has abit of white spot.
    1 coral banded shrimp dived locally
    2 hermet crabs in the display as the cleaners

My sump has 2 domino damsels and 1 convict tang and a few star fish and a few hermit crabs.

Corals
    frog spawn
    zoas
    a few small brains recently added still need to open fully
    a nice piece of xena
    a small tree

lighting

im running an odyssea 1.3 meter lighting unit of T5's 2 whites 2 blues and im running 2 T8 globes separately 1 blue and 1 atinic.

I have a jebo skimmer not to sure which model it is though.

1 flow 3000 power head and 1 flow 5000

I made a small filter box for my recently bought phosphate remover which has now been running for 1 day :thumbup:

Just hoping to get rid of the phosphate build up :(
    some green hair algae and the purple slime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Jun 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello Ross,
    Welcome to this hobby. Now that you are on MASA, even better. Lots to read and learn.

Tank is 6 months old. It looks like phosphate levels are building up. Algae and cayno. See the bubbles on the back glass. Should not be there.

The glass box on top of your sump, is that your phosphate reactor?

Your skimmer does look big enough for the set up. What is its rating? just to confirm.

Your DSB section (right part of the sump) is too shallow. Sand needs to be about 150mm deep. And preferably without live rock on the sand. The parts where the rock lies on the sand cannot fully perform the functions you want from the sand. Live rock does provide surface area for beneficial bacteria to live on, but not even close to the surface area provided by sand. And the bottom part of the DSB, is the part you want to complete the nitrogen cycle. I would move the live rock that is on the sand up to the display. Will give the same functionality.

Some reefers prefer NP-reactors and pellets. Have to tell you about it. But I don't like it (yet). I like my DSB, as I got a lot of life in there. So its your decision, NP reactor or DSB.

Judging by the water head height (thickness of the water going over the dividers) it looks like your return pump is OK. And you do not have settlement on top of the sand (well does not look like it, and not excessive). But your DSB section is too small. Suggestion, cut out the middle tall glass piece. And move the liverock on the left also to the display. Make that enlarged section another DSB. Or you can cut out the next piece (that is between the DSB, and make one bigger one. But then the last glass divider must be extended, to be 10mm lower than the first. Gives you more volume over the sand. And also a place to put cheato. Just do not add the new playsand on top of the existing sand, rather take the old sand out, add 130mm new sand, and put the old sand back on top. Give it a couple of months and you should have a better biological filtration in place compared to what you have currently.

4. CW

CW

Hi Riaan.

I also have some bubbles in my DT but not close to that mutch.
    What causes the bubbles?
    Phosphates?

Thanx

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

It is a sign of cayno bacteria.
    Normally water parameters that is not 100%. Usually phosphates and nitrates. That is also why the green green grass grow all over. Also the cayno tends to live in areas of low flow. And low flow can also explain extra detritus settlement in the tank, the ugly bits settles out of suspension instead of going over the overflow. So a lot of factors ties in together.

6. CW

CW

Ok cool.
    But my cyno problem seems to be going away so the buubles should go away soon aswell if im right?

Thanx Riaan

7. RossMckenzie

RossMckenzie Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Riaan, iv moved the rock out of the DSB and just got to let the domino damsels go or find a home for them. I tested my water parameters and my nirtate was at 0 and my ph was at 8.3 but couldnt test for phosphates. Next time i go to the beach il get some sand out of a healthy looking rock pool to add to my DSP. That box i made out of perspex, was ment to be a filter box kind of thing but it leaked so iv got the phosguard by the over flow the cyno growth on my sand has now died off and just waiting for the back screen to clear up, soon i hope. Do you know of any ways to kill off the cyno growth? (the bubbles) I think my skimmer rating is 600 liters

Recent Posts