My Anemone nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Tony, 13 May 2009.

1. Tony

Tony

I want to build a nano for my wife as she is mad about anemones. Here's a pic I made with google scetchup. The dimensions are illustrated.

I want to go DIY with the lighting and have 1 X 150 1000K halide with two actinic T5's for sunrise sunset effect.

I have a 45000LPH return pump which I want to use as a CLS to avoid powerheads in the tank and why I have two overflow outlets to cope wiht the flow. The overflow is a C to C with two 32/50mm pipes. I still haven't decided yet.

A TS1 skimmer should be plenty for the bioload as it will only house an anemone, three or four clowns, a hermit and cleaner shrimp. It will only have a few rocks in the tank of the anemone to hook onto. The main bio filter will be in the sump with a DSB and LR. The substrate and DSB will be of aragonite so no additives will need to be added for calcium, buffer and other goodies as well as maintain the p.H.

Any comments will be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

[​IMG]

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

Have you decided on what type nemmie ?

If you BTA, I would suggest 2/3 of the same species. It is really beautiful seeing these creatures interact with the clowns.

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Tony ..... sounds great !

Is there any way to link this into your main tank ?

6. Neil H

Tony, My opinion is that 700 may be a bit too deep...... unless you plan on having lots of rock and deep substrate...... if you are going minimalist then i would go shallower !

Warr great option having more that one BTA.... jut WAAAY better if they come from a single parent nennie, then there will be No chem warefare !

7. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

I want to go with an RBTA anemone as they are hardy, well behaved and colourful. I just want to get the right type of clown to host with.

Neil. I don't know where I'm going to put the tank yet. It would be nice to hook it up to my main display as it will save me cycling the tank and give a stable environment for the anemone

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi, thats very similar to my nano setup, i am thinking of making a few refinements but your design looks great.

my overflow is 2 20mm and one 32mm in the center of my c2c, and the return is via a SCWD which gives nice random flow from the front corners. i am thinking of drilling and letting them blow thru the rear glass as i dont like the way they sit on top.

u can get a SCWD, squiddie, from Astore

with regards to lighting, make space for some fan cooling on top of the MH, mine adds a bit of extra heat, its 10cm about the water, came like that, but with 2 fans i added my temp is 25-26.

but i think this design would be great.

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

10. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Neil the water level will be at 600. I just like giving fish space to do their thing. The tank will have about 230 watts of light and the 10000K will penetrate nicely. I have also found RBTA anemones don't like tons of light. Putting the DSB in the display is also a nice idea. A 10cm thick substrate should be nice

11. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Thanks Warren. I know that a certain species of clown causes the anemone to form it's bubbles and not have the typical long tentacles

12. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Answers in red

13. dallasg

sure i will pm the details to you

14. dallasg

pm sent

i found a nice little gadget at builders that removes water from the air, kind of like those silica bags in medicine bottles, will get the name. i am trying one above my nano to see its affect on evapouration and temp control

15. Neil H

This is shaping up to be a really great project !!!

16. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

We use bigger ones in the walk in fridges to eliminate moisture and make food last longer. We use silica gel to keep food from absorbing moisture. Brillkiant idea

Neil. I'm very excited. I'm just waiting for month end to get the tank built, fill her up and get it cycling. I'll work on the lighting while the tank is cycling. Maybe I'll just be lazy and buy one but I want to try the DIY thing if you guys can bounce some ideas in my direction.

17. dallasg

i have some second hand DIY mh 150 fittings and ballasts if u go DIY, just need some polishing to look new :)

also got 20mm and 50mm glass drill bits

i would get a diy t5 dual ballast, some water proof caps and go diy, get some nice maranti wood, varnish it up, lace the inside with some alanod and wham a great DIT light unit for 10th of the cost with 2 t5's and a 150mh, can then build in a light switch at the back with a timer etc

18. Neil H

Agree with Dallas, go DIY .... fun project !

19. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Sounds nice Tony!!! Can't wait. I'm also planning to go for a RBTA, so if you hurry up, and have some babies, you can gooi some my way...;) With some xenia of course...

I cant really see what the width would be, but just bare in mind that 24W T5's are 55cm long - without the end caps on. This you must just take that into cons. when you plan the canopy. There are obviously many ways to kill a cat, but I just wanted to bring that to your attention...

Good luck!!! :thumbup:

20. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Here's a pic of the hood. The tqo blue rods are the actinics, the large square in the middle is the halides and the two smaller squares with circles in the middle are fans taking the air out the top of the canopy. The flow will come in from behind and take it out the top in front. The canopy is upside down with the inside view showing

[​IMG]

21. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Thanks Dallas. I'll probably buy some off those halide fittings off you.

Thanks Jaco. The tank is 600mm wide so the bulbs should fit. To think I had an RBTA a while ago and sold two babies to Andreas.

Recent Posts