Urgent help needed My anemone is turning white

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Googliebear, 19 Feb 2010.

1. Googliebear

Googliebear

Hi,

I noticed today that my nemmie is turning white,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He was attached to the LR and when I fed him 2 days ago he started moving about, he was upside down on LR the night when i switched the lights off...The next morning he was lying "face-down!" all shriveled...and has been roaming ever since and has started to lose color? Only the tips seem to have color now.

Do I need to be worried, can it be the food (using - Reef Snow from Brightwell aquatics) ? Any advice will be appreciated...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

I think you need to be worried, Just a few questions?

What colour was nennie before?
    What lights do you have?
    How long has your tank been running?
    and finally what are your water parameters?

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Googliebear,

if i have not welcomed you yet, welcome!

unfortunately you have a very very unhappy rose bubble tip there.

can you give us some more information about your system, specifically the following
    Lights (type and period)
    Internal flow
    filtration
    age of the tank

How long have you had the nennie and have you changed the way you do things in any way recently ?

5. Manic

Manic Moderator

Also your nennie will need bigger food like, whole pieces of shrimp or fish, reef snow will not help

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Feb 2010
  6. Googliebear

Googliebear Thread Starter

I have a 140L jebo tank running about 2.5months water did the cycle, and has been stable since.
    Water Parameters:
    Nitrite: 0mg/l
    Nitrate: 15mg/l
    Alkalinity: 9ºdKH
    PH - 8.4
    Salinity: 1020
    Ammonia: 0.01mg/l
    Internal flow & filtration is standard what came with the tank.

I have had him about 1 week, this was how he looked before...
    [​IMG]

7. Googliebear

sorry used 2 different cameras to WB isn't identical

8. Manic

Manic Moderator

Your salinity is a bit low. Also your nitrate is a bit high. A tank should be established for at least 6 months before adding a nennie. Hope crispin doesn't see this thread :kangakiller:

9. Googliebear

oh no :dft004: lfs said it'll be fine, also that as long as nitrate is less than 20 its ok. They tested my water and everything?
    I have some prepared water, will add asap.
    Will hake pieces be ok till i can get some shrimp?

10. scubaninja

scubaninja

googliebear, sorry to hear about this, but sometimes some lfs either through just tryin to make a sale or believing that their advice is correct do these things. while it would have been better if you did research first, we are here now so lets just try fix this. i'm browsing on my phone so i can't see everything i should. where do you stay? i think your nennie might need a temporary home if we cannot help you enough to make it happy, if not permanently needs an established tank to live in. can you post details of your tank, i mean everything:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome and believe me an LFS's advice is sometimes far from the truth (well in 99% of cases anyway i know i worked in 3 and was frowned upon for putting the customer first and not the sale)

either way we kave a problem and we are happy you have posted..we will help wherever we can but it is up to you to assess the advice given and action it..

a) the tank is still too new for an anemone and the reason behind this is that it is still developing in terms of stability where water parameters are concerned this is directly affected by you the aquarist as you are still developing your husbandry skills.

b) we need to know more about your lighting as some of the bulbs may need to be changed to assist te anemone to create nore zoanthelle in its tissue to better to be able to use photosynthesies as a form of feeding itself..

c) how often do you feed? and what.. i personally feed a marine mix but frequently collect live glass shrimp and offer than as a substatute to the normal week to week feeding routine i implement..

there are many more items to consider ut in combination with the abbove posts lets start there..

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Looking at this pic and the one you first posted, this nennie is deteriorating fast !..

Its been said before but good on you for coming forward and putting the needs of your nennie first

Spot on Manic, i would go further and say that the flow is also insufficient ... BUT please dont raise the salinity tooo quickly, take at least a week to do this

I have yet to meet a reefer who was not taken for a ride by a LFS when they started out.... dont feel bad, and always remember to cross check info they give you with advice you recieve on MASA, remember they are trying to sell you something, we on the other hand have nothing to gain from dispencing advice other than knowing that we have helped a reefer give a creature a better chance of survival.

agree 100% leslie,

May i be so bold as to suggest you ask for someone to host your nennie until your tank is ready .... unfortunately the nennie is on its way out, with carefull care it can easily recover.... I dont know whether your tank will be able to provide this "recovery environment" for it .... i would offer but have a big green bubble tip nennie and chemical wrefare would almost certainly kill it ..... If you speak to Lanzo nicely, he may be able to host it in one of his tanks......

13. crispin

crispin

hi googliebear,
    very sorry to hear about the nennie, it certainly does look like its bleaching (do a search on what the term means you will learn lots:)) and its going to need a lot of TLC if it has any chance of recxovering.

personally i think it would be better off in the hands on an experienced reefer and a stable mature system, but thats your call.

the age of the tank is way too young for a nennie i am afraid, like leslie says, thats both refdlective on stable water and a steady head of the reefer, but here i think its more about the water not being right.

I am also concerned about teh quality of light the nennie gets, and how much of it? Can you tell us the depth of the tank and how many watts you have above him. One thing yopu can do nice anmd easily is take a little water (RO if you have it) and make sure the covering over the lights and the lights reflectors are very clean. Salt real;ly blocks the light getting down and thats very bad news to the nennie.

The pics are a little misleading i think, as you say the WB is probably different and u might have used flash on one and not the other. You can see the nennie and you knw what it was like before, can you give us an estimate in % of its color loss. Say 30% gone or 80% gone?

14. crispin

crispin

sorry googliebear, one thing i missed the first time was the speed at which this has gone down hill.you say yove only had the nennie a week? in that case the deteriation looks (note what i said about pics being misleading) to be very rapid and i would look at housing that nennie with another reefer for now

15. Googliebear

i understand all you say about my water not being ready, but i got allot of my water from the lfs, who has many outstanding looking tanks... so my water isn't all new?
    Whats strange though... is the nennie is below the LR, sort of hiding from the lights however, if the lights are the cause, then I don't know how to remedy it, because the Jebo tank I have only has housing for 2 lights, I have 1 white (40w) and 1 marine blue (20w)

Dimensions:
    74cm x 38cm x 39cm

If I should estimate, I think he's lost about 80%+ of color.
    Have spoken to the lfs, they're willing to house him, without any issues.
    I feed every 2 days 20mm of reef snow, every other day I add supplements.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and willingness to help, really appreciate it!

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud please listen to the advice previously given. The Jebo, Lighting and "water isn't all new" are not suited for a nennie. The reefers on this forum giving you advice are experienced and know what they are doing. Most LFS are sales orientated and will tell you anything just to get a sale. If the LFS is giving you this advice it is wrong and they are leading you on a money extortion journey.

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

One other thing, your nennie will not survive on reef snow and additives. It needs to be fed small pieces of fish and shrimp.

Who is giving you this advice?? PM me the LFS so that i might politely enlighten them.

18. davidfr7

davidfr7

Hello read this Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Once you have mastered this and kept it stable for 2 months or so then you are ready to try some of the more demanding creatures of this hobby. An anemone would still not be one of them.

RBTA = rose bubble tip anemone needs meaty foods silver side = a small fish also known as line fish and cocktail prawns cut it 1 cm cubes placed on the BTAS tips and it will take it to it mouth. If the current is to strong switch off the power heads. If it is not hungry it will let it go. If you can't get it to eat it is on its way out. Never force feed as you can hurt it.

Try and find someone that can look after it, until you and your tank are ready for it.

The best advise you can get is to read. Read every thing you can about it and talk to people that have got one. Once you have armed your self with the knowledge then give it a go.

Good luck with your RBTA it is a fantastic creature.

19. Triven

Triven

hi all, i have a bubble tip n i feed him coraliquid by sera 3 times a week n he is doing just fine

20. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

If you are wanting to get rid of him, I would be glad to take him off you.

Just let me know

21. Verndog

Verndog

How long have you had it? What makes you think he is doing fine?

Recent Posts