My 60cm "Kubus" build(plans)

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by pom, 13 Mar 2014.

1. pom

pom

Hi, I currently have a 35x30x55 little custom tank I built to see if I could manage keeping an marine aquarium, and so far so good for about a year and a half now.

But to the end of last year I bought a small little piece of rock with a few zoas on it at a lfs, and to my surprise I got a few few extras added to this piece of rock, and no not anything nice unfortunately.....:( in the form of bubble algae and bryposis. Well trying to get rid of this has been impossible, and has all but taken over my tank even with me removing it from time to time but this battle was lost the day I bought that little piece of liverock from the shop. So I have decided to shut down this tank and start fresh with only my livestock kept from the current one.

So here are my plans:

I am not going to big on my second attempt but a bit bigger, 60x60x60 to be exact. So I am here to ask a bit of advice in building the tank.

I have the stand sorted with some help from my dad, built out of 32mm, 2mm square tubing 80cm high.

For the tank I am thinking 8mm sides, 10mm bottom, then top and bottom euro bracing, but I want the overflow inside the tank right in the center at the back with one inlet and one outlet drilled into the base of the tank, mainly to hide all pipes that will go to the sump.

So advice would be appreciated please, firstly, is 8mm glass strong enough with the bracing and then secondly how will I brace the bottom at the back, where the holes will be drilled, or will the top bracing be enough?

This is an example of what I want to do with the overflow at the back. Any ideas or thoughts would be great, thanks.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that is a nice example of a cube. I like the overflow, looks big enough. Maybe increase the middle section by another 100mm to give you a bigger overflow.

4. pom

pom Thread Starter

RiaanP, do you think 8mm glass will be strong enough with just top bracing or would I need top and bottom bracing?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

60 high and 8mm is a bit pushing your luck on rimless.

Why not 10mm?

See you are in Centurion. Why not ask Dorry Pets for a quote to build that tank?

6. pom

pom Thread Starter

Ok so just an update on what I am doing. Thanks RiaanP, I did visit Dorry Pets but it working out alot cheaper by rather just doing everything myself, they probably know the right way to do something but diy'ing it is just more fun and much less money....

So I went with 8mm glass, did a water test last night and everything looks solid so far.
    I could not get hold of thick black perspex so I decided to build the overflow out of glass and then just cover it with some black perspex, here are a couple of pics of where I am now currently.

2014-04-01_18-32-11_171.jpg

2014-04-01_18-32-52_192.jpg

7. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

I have looked at a 60x60x60 before I bought a new TL-550. Are you done with the tank? I am no tank expert but I would say you need some bracing. The LFS that would have build my 60x60x60 showed me one in his shop and it was 10mm all round. There was also more bracing than your tank. Like I say it is only my 2c I am no expert.

8. pom

pom Thread Starter

Hi Hansie, yes I am not planning on using any bracing, but you are making me think twice about it.....lol I checked a few calculators and sheets and 8mm would give a safety rating of about 3.1 - 3.8 so I thought that would be ok, so if any of the experts who do build their own tanks give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys...

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Bracing will help more on this tank to prevent carpet surfing and snails climbing out. But will limit access.

Decisions decisions

10. pom

pom Thread Starter

I am going with a hood so carpet surfing and snails escaping wont be a problem, and yes bracing would also limit my access seeing that the tank isn't that big. I also did a floating base so my thinking was with this base bottom bracing was not necessary so was just wondering about the top bracing.

11. pom

pom Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the overflow cover I made.

cover.jpg

12. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

Looks lekke so far, Keep us posted.

13. pom

pom Thread Starter

Ok just a quick update, tank has finished cycling a few weeks ago and everything is going well so far... I got everything moved over from my old tank and all seems happy.

Here is a fts of what it currently looks like, still busy deciding how I will cover the stand because my plan of using rare earth magnets has failed a bit lol, they are strong enough but my plywood aint so straight so the magnets does not touch the frame on all the places.

O yes and I also upgraded my diy led build a bit, added 2 10w royal blue and 2 10 10000k cool white chips, still looking at adding 1 10w uv chip soon.

2014-06-13.jpg

14. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

Nice.

15. Nabzo

Nabzo

Nice

16. Johanbester3

Johanbester3

Looking good

17. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

Like the bean!

18. pom

pom Thread Starter

Thanks guys, he is just a bit agro lol but luckily not that much.... I put the anthias in first and they were all happy with their sleeping spots in the cave, but mister bean messed that all up hehe... chased every one out and now they sleep in the funniest places on the outskirts of the cave lol

Last edited: 13 Jun 2014
Recent Posts