My 5 foot Marine Tank Begins

Drill a 4mm hole n the blue pvc return pipe the same level as your overflow...then send a pic again....will help alot...:thumbup:
Nice set up...

Cool setup. going to follow this thread - I have the same size tank - work in progress currently. Wife says I can only add water once I complete my dissertation - its a painful wait until November

@pangolie , that sump water level you saw in the photo is when the power is out. So in the clear there. @mrgert I will drill that syphon break hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
A question to those in the know. What sand is best for for a DSB?
I have have about 40kg of sand from a mates DSB which has been not so thoroughly rinsed and has been sitting in a plastic bin for 4 months. Too scared to open it now!!!! but if I was to use it, What process must i use to clean it before I put it in my sump??????

@Breado good luck with that dissertation……work hard at it. What is it for?
My wife is super supportive for now haha. this hobby requires family members full support from what I've read and seen.

Aah ok..then u are on the rim of clear there.drill that hole just incase buddy.
no knowledge on that dsb. Riaanp should definitky be able to clear that topic for u.i use biocubes in my sump.

Im sure normal playsand will do the job after its been thouroghly rinsed. shouldnt cost you a small fortune either. but @RiaanP is the expert on this

Normal playsand is cheap. If you get it from a garden center. Not Reggies.

But you need to wash it properly.

If you want to re-use the old DSB, you need to wash that out as well. Can use the old sand, if you got a new setup and will give the DSB time to cycle. I will not use old DSB that is dead for 4 months in an existing setup. Rather then new sand.

Thanks @RiaanP off to Westpak or garden centre this weekend.

Hi everyone, I have changed my Macro Aqua wave makers to 2 X Jebao WP25. I felt the Macro Aqua wave makers were too big and intrusive in the display tank. The jebao seem to a nicer product and have more variation on waves and flow ext.

I might be introducing livestock this weekend. Will start with a cleaner crew first. My water parameters were the following last night :

SG : 1,027 ( Will bring it down to 1,024 or 1,025 )
Alk: 8,4dkh
Ph : 8,3
No3: 5ppm
No2: 0
Po4: 0,0ppm
Ca: 440
Mg: 1305

Please feel free to give me some advise and comment on these parameters.

Looking great Rebelo

Just a quick question - where can I get the black edging you have on you tank?

Hi @Breado , I am not too sure, the place that built my tank just started doing it on all their builds now. I will ask them where they get it from next time I pop in there. What Might look good too , is a thin black perspex.

Back
Top Bottom