My 450l cube of ocean

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by gemini9241, 3 Oct 2008.

1. gemini9241

gemini9241

hi guys need some help i have a 450l tank plus sump but my problem is heating the tank s sitting between 30 and31'c the heater has been off for 2 days and the temp still wont go down i swicth off the light cuz they fairly hot with the heater an nothing still on 30.5 the thank is not is the sun and the room it is in is fairly cool i do have sealing lids on the thank and sump to keep evaporation to a min

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

The more evaporation you have the better, it helps to cool down the tank. You are reaching critical temperatures there. Remove the lid from the sump and place a fan there to blow over the sump, this will increase evaporation and cool down the water. Can you install 2 small computer fans into the hood of the tank to blow air into the hood onto the water surface?

4. gemini9241

gemini9241 Thread Starter

yeah i have to pc fans in the hood but they off cuz the lights are off the sump lids are like sliding door and can not be removed as pic below so i left them open
    [​IMG] i have removed the sliding lids on the tank and left the lid opened the hood to let the air in any more that i can do

5. gemini9241

[​IMG]

6. Christo

Christo

Hmmmm!

Of the topic Q! Where's the water level!
    Would go with viper! Get a normal fan blowing
    air in there A.s.a.p!

7. gemini9241

that pick is when t was empty to show the doors the this is the tank now 3 days old [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Gemini - firstly: That's a VERY nice setup you have there - how much is the total water volume you have?
    Secondly - as Viper has already said - EVAPORATION is the biggest key to colling your tank's water. BUT - at this stage, seeing that you don't have any corals or fish in the tank yet - I am glad that you are worrying about this now, because you WILL most likely loose lifestock once you actually have corals and fish in the tank, and the water temp's goes up THAT high.

A normal fan over the sump will definitely assist - but it seems that the sump is enclosed at the rear as well???? So, the heat is actually "brooding" inside the tank stank, heating up the water of the sump, more rather than cooling it down.

The water will indeed cool down, but with the sump being so enclosed, it will take MUCH longer......

Perhaps you should device more PC fans in the hood of the tank, that actually blows air directly ONTO the surface of the water..... Also - perhaps remove the hood (if you can) for about 3 or 4 hours, and during this time, the tank's temperature will automatically drop.....
    While you have the hood removed, cut some slots into the rear of the canopy, or drill some big holes into the canopy, that fresh colder ambient air can get into the tank faster..... this all will assist in cooling the water down, and keeping the water cooler...

9. Surfer Girl

Surfer Girl

It might be an idea to look at getting a chiller.

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nice looking tank. I think you may have a problem on your hands, we haven't even started our summer yet and you are having heat issues, I think you are going to have to invest in a chiller.

11. Andreas

Andreas

Nice setup there! Wont it also help with gas exchange if you have good clean air coming in as suppose to completely sealing it off?

12. gemini9241

i dont have all the fans up and running yet i want to try a few thing first before getinga chiller i never had a problem wit other tanks in the same room before i would want to try this also Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY! - General Discussions maybe it will work and here is my hood set up with a good 6cm slot 180cm long[​IMG][​IMG]
    but i had lids on the openings of the tank to stop evaoration but removed them so maybe this will fix the problem

13. gemini9241

ok water temp is coming do it is now 28.5 target 25-26

Recent Posts