My 200l Corner Pentagon...

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Clownfish9906, 11 Mar 2012.

1. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hi guys and gals...

I am contemplating a marine setup - hence the trip to MASA! I have a corner pentagon tank, approx 218l capacity. After the addition of liferock and substrate, that number will drop. I do not have a sump as yet but am trying to design and then build one. Unfortunately space is in short supply and the largest sump I can manage is 60x30 with a height of maybe 50. 4mm glass seems like a possibility but am going to go 6mm for the sake of 'playing it safe'!

I know that I will require a section each for the overflow, skimmer and return pump. I am confused on whether to have a dsb, or simply have additional section with extra LR (but this is costly - would rather have the LR in the DT). If space permits an additional tank built to store RO water that will refill the tank when evaporation takes place.

I intend on having an aragonite bed on the DT with LR. In time, fish and LPS, zoa, etc.

Just a description of the tank...its a corner pentagon, holding 218l. It has been built with 10mm glass all round incl the base. There is an overflow chamber on the one side, which will house the twin durso standpipes. The holes were drilled 22mm and I struggled to get the uniseals, etc.

Below are pictures of the tank...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Here are some Threads with Corner Tanks...hopefully you'll get some ideas for a Sump...sorry...I haven't gone thru all of them, so I hopefully they will still give you the Info you need to steer you in the right direction...:blush:
    Dallas' 310L Corner tank - Pics and Build Thread - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    My cosy corner - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Corner sump and tank design - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    My new tank design - Any advice - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

There is more...but can't seem to find the "usefull" one's...:p @FransSny ...I believe you had one...the Google Master can't find it...:P:P

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906 Thread Starter

Thanks Belinda for those links...have checked them out and will get into contact with the guys...or gals...

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

The holes for your overflow look rather small - what diameter are they?

Last edited: 12 Mar 2012
  6. Clownfish9906

@ 459B

Those holes were 22mm in diameter. Rather small, I know. I have issues with the piping...

Will update tonight with more pics and the solution...

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Id drill the holes bigger. 22mm is rather small even before youv added the bulkheads.

Daneo likes this.
  8. belindamotion

9. Clownfish9906

Thats not a problem provided all the links are relative...

Thanks for the links...I have already had a look through them. I intend on doing the led build, but need to get the tank up and running for now...

10. rakabos

rakabos

belindamotion should have her nick renamed to linkaholic :D

Must say the links are always very useful ;)

11. belindamotion

...why Thank You kind Sir...for the "useful" bit...not the "aholic" bit...:005::005:

rakabos likes this.
  12. rakabos

rakabos

+1 rep for you!

belindamotion likes this.
  13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you are in Midrand.

Take that tank to Idol Marine and have that drain holes re-drilled bigger to 50mm PVC fittings. While there get the bulkheads as well. No more searching. Will not cost that much, and will be worthwhile to upgrade those holes.

blackghostknife and Daneo like this.
  14. Clownfish9906

hey RiaanP...

I have 25mm tank connectors...have made the mods....will upload pics tonigh of the tank stand + cleaned up version of the tank...

15. flamming angel

flamming angel

Welcome to MASA. You will find much info from many of the reefers here who are always willing to give advice and assist. Wrt your sump, just ensure that you have a rough idea of what equipment you going to be having as this will help give you an idea on how you can go about designing your sump. All systems go dude

16. Clownfish9906

ok guys...

I have managed to build my stand. The stand is exactly the size of the tank, so the bottom edges are fully supported. The tube used is 25mm square tubing with a 1.6mm, wall thickness. I will be putting more supports on the top of the stand so it will support the tank in the even of the base wood support failing. The corners will be braced with more square bars attached diagonally.

Here is the welded tank stand...hope it looks passable...:blush:

[​IMG]

Ok, as for the tank cleaning, that went quite well...with some scrubbing done with bicarb and a sponge. After cleaning, I decided to place it on the stand...

[​IMG]

Ok, after measuring the drilled holes in the overflow box with a caliper, I found out it was exactly 22mm... So I didnt worry as I thought it was an ok size. Ok, it was time to do some shopping around. It was then that I found out that the holes were irregular and bulkheads for that size were hard to get...or atleast for me that is. Having check a dozen places and found some in a store that was not open on Saturdays and no way near to me...I tried PHI. They did have the 20mm Upvc pipe (blue) with the correct fittings (grey). Ok, but this didnt solve my problem...what about the bulkheads!!!

Ok, I decided to call Dorry Pets and spoke to Bernard. I was going to pay anything to get this sorted (well not anything, but you get the message). Bernard told me something unlike anything I expected. He simply advised me to pay a visit to SA Plasticor as they supplied Dorry Pets with their plumbing.

Saturday arrives and I'm on my way to SA Plasticor. Spoke to a guy there who assured me they had everything I could need...boy was he correct! Ok, after 5 min of walking around with the attendant, who I might add, was quick and professional, I was done...Prices were very reasonable and service with a smile...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could hardly wait to get home an put on the tank connectors. Get home to find out the threaded nipple was 25mm :eek:. Decided I was going to drill the hole bigger< searched for a price and got a 30mm diamond coring bit for +-R170. Ok, next plan, sandpaper around a pipe will surely enlargen the hole. In the garage I found my pencil grinder...and inside, a diamond bit :biggrin:.

After under 5min per hole and lots of white dust...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude:

Ok guys and gals...the tank connector is 25mm so the bore is a clean 20mm. The pipe used for the plumbing is 20mm, hence I should not have any reduction in flow...:thumbup:

Please tell me what you think...

17. Renegado

Renegado

Think I saw this tank on TASA but glad to see it here.. Cichlids are cool but they just don't cut it when compared to marine :)

18. Clownfish9906

Hey Renegado...yes, I have changed my mind...just getting over the cost factors... need plenty of :peroni: to get thru it...

19. Clownfish9906

hi guys an gals...

Decided to start collection the stuff I require for the build...

I went to Idol Marine and had a good talk to Rob who assisted me well. Instead of looking at base rock which was in the shop, the CarribSea version...I looked at dead rock.

I was going to buy around 10kg to start with...but then something caught my eye...
    [​IMG]

Ok, it was 15kg but at a good price! Havent washed it etc. as yet, but introduced it to its new home...

Take a look...and PLEASE tell me what u think!! I intend on purchasing flat life rock pieces to compliment this piece and supplement the tank...

[​IMG]

20. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Wonder how that change came anout...;) hehe
    Nice thread couzy! Keep the updates coming.

21. CJT

CJT

How much was that peace of dead rock?

Recent Posts