my 1st saltwater aquarium

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by pangolie, 3 Mar 2014.

1. pangolie

pangolie

Hey guys. I had a FW aquarium couple years back.wife and kids nagged me to start it up again.even back then ive always wanted to go salt.
    So now for new beginnings.
    Its a 130l aquarium. Had it running last week with freshwater. Removed water this morning and added saltwater already mixed.
    new side skimmer fitted.live rock added and shes running.
    still loads to learn so any input would be greatly appreciated.

20140303_130057.jpg

20140303_132627.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brian83

Brian83

Well why don't you ask a few questions so that we know what to help you with?

Perhaps the best advice at this point woulf be to say that patience is more important with saltwater than with freshwater. Freshwater is actually quite forgiving, especially for beginners. But saltwater can punish you if you're not careful. This is not to say that saltwater is infinitely more difficult, but caution is always good practise.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

looks good.. have you thought of fitting a sump. with time as your live stock grows and you decide that you want to add few corals you would rather have a sump where you can put in all the equipment that you will need

5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I like your tank.. what make is it

6. pangolie

pangolie Thread Starter

Thanks guys.i have started a new thread in new members section. Started a 1.2m tank.this one still running while im getting ready for other tank

7. D3m0n369

D3m0n369

The best advice i can give you is to not make the mistake i just made. I also started my first reef tank reciently and made the crucial mistake of adding fish to soon. I lost over a thousand rands worth of fish in three days from purchase. The tank was cycling for over a month. Hermits and dancing shrimps doing well so added a fish and lost them all due to high nitrates. So the moral of the story...BE PATIENT PLEASE!!!

8. pangolie

pangolie Thread Starter

Thanks bud.will he patient with my new build.this small tank has 2hermits.1x clown.1x regal and 1x domino.all going good.water running stable. Cant wait to tranfer all to 1.2m tank.still need rock and then add water.

Recent Posts