My 1600 x 800 x 600 system

Reaction score
Hey bud, where did you get this from " Pure Sinewave Inverter that runs the Wave Makers and Return pump "

Where do you get your coral from, you get nice colonies, and not frags.

Your systems is looking good, coming along nicely.

I see you kept the foxface, was it only nipping the Zaos ?

Reaction score
Hey bud, where did you get this from " Pure Sinewave Inverter that runs the Wave Makers and Return pump "

Where do you get your coral from, you get nice colonies, and not frags.

Your systems is looking good, coming along nicely.

I see you kept the foxface, was it only nipping the Zaos ?
Hi R0ckf1re

I bought the Inverter from Communica in Midrand

I see their website is down, but here is the link. It is a Luminous Zelio 900 VA Inverter
http://www.communica.co.za/catalog/Browse?cId=d2532c0474b14a469a82413cf003bcc2

Majority of the Coral is from Dorry's. Only the Wall hammer is from another LFS that is not a sponsor on this site

On the Foxface, yes I still have him. I just do not have the heart to remove him. He is a beautiful specimen.
He only ever nipped on the Zoas, but with the increased feeding he is not doing that anymore, touch wood

I have a plan for another tank later on and will move him to that system then

Reaction score
Hi R0ckf1re

I bought the Inverter from Communica in Midrand

I see their website is down, but here is the link. It is a Luminous Zelio 900 VA Inverter
http://www.communica.co.za/catalog/Browse?cId=d2532c0474b14a469a82413cf003bcc2

Majority of the Coral is from Dorry's. Only the Wall hammer is from another LFS that is not a sponsor on this site

On the Foxface, yes I still have him. I just do not have the heart to remove him. He is a beautiful specimen.
He only ever nipped on the Zoas, but with the increased feeding he is not doing that anymore, touch wood

I have a plan for another tank later on and will move him to that system then
Thanks bud.

Can you pm me how how you made the stc box please

Reaction score
Thanks bud.

Can you pm me how how you made the stc box please
It was relatively easy to make
I bought one of these utility boxes:
https://www.arb.co.za/standard-screw-lid-box-ut3.html

I then cut a hole for the STC controller in the front panel

And also bought 1 double wall mount plug and one single wall mount

Below is a rough layout on how I connected it

Orange: Live in. From there I bridged the live to each of the relays
Purple: Neutral in and green straight to the neutral on the plugs

STC Controller.JPG

The STC switches the live to both the heating plugs (Where I have 2 x 300 Watt Eheim heaters plugged in) as well as a plug for cooling.

I have set up the heaters around 1 degree warmer than the controller, which will heat the tank to max 26. 8 more or less.

This is for in case the controller might fail
20180611_163927.jpg

Reaction score
I am also busy with a Raspberry Pi controller which I want to use for controlling the equipment as well as to assign some tasks. This will then make the STC controller redundant

We already bought some of the equipment and my brother will be assisting with the assembly of the Electronics as well as coding.

This controller will mainly be used to switch equipment on and off, and then also to warn me on some parameters going out or something like a power failure, for instance.

The wave makers already have their own DC control, as well as the return pump and the lights have their own control, the ATO as well, etc so I will not use the controller to take over these functions for now. Maybe later on when I get more familiar with the workings of the controller I can look into actually controlling all the DC equipment

I need each task to stop certain equipment for a specified time, and then to automatically restart the equipment after a preset period

Below is what I have in mind and also what I want to see on the Home Screen:
Controller.JPG

The UPS will be wired in to supply some of the plugs I need to keep on in the event of a power failure

What I have in mind with the tasks. Any suggestions welcome
Controller tasks.JPG

Reaction score
That is one exciting project, please share details on your Pi built, very interested.

Reaction score
That is one exciting project, please share details on your Pi built, very interested.
Will do as we progress. Will be a while as my brother stays in Wesselsbron in the Freestate.

Currently we chat via Whatsapp.

As soon as he gets the controller working as needed I will buy the rest of the hardware needed and construct a cabinet for this. He then need to come and visit me over a weekend so we can then get the whole thing operational

Reaction score
Are you going to use perl or python to code the project?
Apparently Python

What I know of Electronics and coding is dangerous. My Brother does electronics as a hobby, and he even constructed his own 3d printer, hence why I told him the idea I have and things started from there

Reaction score
Very cool build. This is extremely similar to the dimension I want my future tank to be.

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I updated this thread
A couple of things changes since then, whereby I moved house and changed out some of the equipment

First off, the move:
We moved to Midstream in December. The house I moved to is such that I am using the Bar area for the tank, which meant that I could no longer use it in the Peninsula style as it was

A new tank was then manufactured in the same dimensions, with a skinny overflow and return arrangement

I had 2 casualties on the day of the move, one being my Magnificent Fox face and one Anthia that did not survive the move

Below are pictures of the new tank and when we set it up. We had to transfer the fish back into the tank as we added water, and could not wait for it to start to filtrate. It was very hot on the day and the temperatures in the containers started to rise, with resultant stress on the fish

Below picture was the next morning

And below was around 10 days later after some re-scaping. I also played around with the with balance on my phone to reduce the blues

I thought this move was going to trigger a cycle, and if it did it was on a small scale, which worked out well at the end

Reaction score
Since the last update in June I also canned the idea of the Reef Pi system and actually bought an Apex system that I installed in March of this year

And so this past weekend I also received the cladding for the stand as well as constructed a control cabinet which I installed

Before the cladding, and with all the electrical stacked on the side

Bottom section installed

Top part installed. I removed the acrylic light supports and they are now laying on top of support in the canopy

Reaction score
I also made some brackets for limit switches that I want to add with a breakout box to the Apex this coming week.

This is mainly because the bottom part of the system is not in plain sight anymore

One switch for an ATO Low alarm
One for sump level low
One for sump level high
One for the skimmer cup

That leaves me with 2 open ports on the breakout box that I can use at a later stage

Last edited:
Reaction score
nicely done. A perspex or glass cover of sorts will complete the look of that electrical box.

That convict surgeon - don't think I have seen one so big in captivity before

Reaction score
nicely done. A perspex or glass cover of sorts will complete the look of that electrical box.

That convict surgeon - don't think I have seen one so big in captivity before
That part is behind a door for now.
I am considering modifying the door with a glass pane to see the controller area

I think a Convict is a very underrated fish. He is now just more than 2 years in the tank and has a brilliant personality

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
I do not like that spider legs holding the lights up. It does look a lot better now.

Just a question, how high above the water is your light units now? Recommended height for Radion lights is between 22 to 27cm. Mostly to prevent splashes damaging the units. Had a naughty Regal Tang that loved to splatter water out the tank.