My 1600 x 800 x 600 system

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Dprz, 17 Jul 2017.

1. Dprz

Dprz

As per my introduction post, this post is intended to share my progress on my current system I am running

The system is now up and running for 6 months and is running very stable. I encountered a lot of obstacles and challenges on the way, but we managed the issues as they arose, and as said in my introductory post is that the search function on this forum worked extremely well for me

Current system specs:
    DT 1600 x 800 x 600 Peninsula style tank
    Volume on DT is 700 L. Total system volume is 840 L
    Lighting ATI Sunpower 8 x 80W T5 unit. I removed this unit 2 weeks ago in favor of a DIY LED project I did (Bought from Improved Living PE)

I bought some of the equipment second hand from someone that is or was a member here

Stock in tank currently:
    Sailfin tang
    Yellow Tang
    Regal Tang
    Convict Tang
    Clown fish
    Sand sifting Goby
    Cleaner Wrasse
    2 x cleaner shrimp
    1 x blue legged hermit crab
    couple of snails

Corals:
    Hammer head Coral
    Frogspawn Coral
    Different Mushrooms
    Zoa's
    Green starred Polyps
    Small frag of pulsing Zenias

I still have a long way to go to with this system and to get it to look like a well stocked Marine aquarium, but we are getting there slowly but surely

Haffy and Esmond like this.
  2. Guest

3. Ferret

Ferret

Just something from my side. Do you find those leds to be enough light? I ended up adding some t5 tubes to the led bud they recommended for my tank

Ah I see you aren't really running sps. Never mind

Last edited: 17 Jul 2017
  4. Esmond

Esmond

Any pics?

5. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

So first pics:
    I bought most of the equipment from someone that closed down his system, and got all the equipment for a good price
    This was the day we brought it home and started with the big cleaning operation. The moving of this tank was a mission on it's own 20170225_125235.jpg

20170219-WA0002.jpg
    Some cleaning with warm water an vinegar made the equipment look like new again
    20170225_175417.jpg

Esmond likes this.
  6. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

Then came the water leak test. I also ran all the equipment for 24 hours with fresh water (yes, even the skimmer) to check for problems/ trips.
    20170226_185359.jpg

All worked fine so we could start with the next process which was making RO water and adding live rock, sand etc.

chops likes this.
  7. Esmond

Esmond

try and fit that multi plug against the wall buddy

Haffy likes this.
  8. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

So, with all my reading up I learned that along with taking things slowly and good parameters, stability is one of the key things. I noticed alot of fluctuations on the temperature, while cycling the tank, which obviously is a function of the thermostats in the heaters

My first DIY was then to construct a temperature control unit with one of those STC 1000 units
    Temp.JPG
    I installed 2 plugs for heating where I am running 2 x Eheim 300 W heaters off and one plug for cooling. For now I have fans on this plug, but will shortly procure myself a good quality chiller for the coming summer months. My temperature is currently running on a 0.3 Degree margin

9. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

Yes, already done, hehe. That was just with the startup and testing. I quickly relocated electrical things once the salt creep started

10. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

My next DIY I tackled after the first water change was a mixing station. With weekly 100 liter changes it quickly became a schlep lugging around 20 liter cans and mixing

So, I then bought 2 x 100 Liter drums from Westpack and after searching the Internet I constructed myself a system whereby I can make 100 liters of RO water for top up as well as make 100 liters of SW. I can then also make 200 liters of SW in a separate drum if I need to do a bigger water change
    The other drum I pump water in, chuck in the salt and a heater and leave the pump to recirculate
    WC2.JPG
    WC3.JPG
    The system installed in the garage along with RO unit. This is around the corner of the tank so makes it easy to fill the top up compartment in the sump as well as then to do a water change
    WC4.JPG
    WC1.JPG

r0ckf1re likes this.
  11. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

2 months after cycling my tank almost crashed, which was actually caused by my RO unit producing bad quality water. My mistake was that I did not test the water after a couple of sessions. Something went wrong with the membrane and this quickly depleted the Resin

When I picked up that there was a problem I actually did a big water change (with the same bad water) and I was bummed to see that this actually worsened the problem. The water turned a murky brown colour, and I then added Matrix Carbon in one of the baffles to assist, and I also installed a 55 W UV sterilizer/ clarifier. This helped in cleaning up the tank as well as killing any nasty stuff that was in the water

I went back to the supplier where I bought the RO unit from and after some testing they found the membrane to be malfunctioning as well as the depleted resin (TDS was at 80ppm)

They at least replaced the resin and membrane and I also immediately bought myself a TDS meter. I now religiously test all RO water batches before I add this

After the water cleared I was left with a massive diatom outbreak on the sand which took me a while to get out. I actually still get a light dusting on the sand, but at least the sand sifting goby keeps on turning the substrate around and this should also eventually disappear

12. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

My next DIY project was an LED project I did

I sent a mail to Improved Living PE to assist with a specification for my tank
    Their proposal was as follows

5 Channel lights
    Channel 1: Combination of 3 white LED's
    Channel 2: Blue leds with 1 green
    Channel 3: White channel again with different combination of the 3 white led's
    Channel 4: Blue with 2 Magenta LED's
    Channel 5: White again

All LED's were 3 Watt Bridgelux totaling at 270 W

As part of the package I then got 90 LED's, 10 drivers, Power supply and a TC420 controller

I started this on project on a Thursday night and the light was on the tank by Sunday afternoon. My problem is once I start I want to get this done, so working on this for weeks on ad-hoc basis was not an option

The components as received
    L1.JPG

Alu frame work for the lights
    L2.JPG \

Drilling, soldering, assembly etc

L4.JPG

L5.JPG

L6.JPG

Testing one of the channels
    L7.JPG

The completed light in position
    L8.JPG

L4.JPG

Haffy likes this.
  13. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

My sump set up
    I initially ran a JNS Shark Protein skimmer, but a couple of weeks in, the cable decided to let go against the motor block. I then bought and installed a Bubble Magus Curve 7 unit.

I had the cable repaired and will keep the JNS for backup

I also had a Sicce Syncra 4 return pump. This pump I swopped out with a Jebao DCT 4000 Dc return pump
    I am currently running Matrix, Phosguard and Matrix Carbon in bags in the baffles in the sump as well a Caulerpa under a 6500K LED light.

Live rock and coral skeleton completes the filtration in the sump for the beneficial bacteria
    Z1.JPG

Z2.JPG

On the side of the sump is an RO chamber. I already bought some limits and need to build an ATO setup for this
    Z3.JPG

14. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

Onto my current livestock, some pics of my fish and Corals
    ZZ1.JPG

One fat sand sifting Goby. This guy is very active and constantly re arranges the substrate
    ZZ2.JPG

ZZ3.JPG

Z1.JPG

2 Months ago I took a badly bleached Magnificent Anemone from someone. I took a massive chance because I knew my tank is supposed to mature more, but instead of him destroying the animal I decided to see if I can save it.

It is now 2 months down the line and it's tentacles recently started to colour up again. It is eating healthy since I took it and it readily takes Lance fish and Hake. I think it will be another 2 weeks before it will be back to it's former glory. There is a site dedicated to Anemones and I read up all I could find around these animals and sure learned a lot. I also got good advice from the guys at Dorry's

Pic of when I got it. The Clown immediately took to it
    Z3.JPG

See the change in pigmentation. It closed up because I did a water change and siphoning of the substrate
    Z4.JPG

Some other pics

My hammer head pic from above

Z5.JPG

Zoas
    Z6.JPG

Open brain coral
    Z7.JPG

Some mushrooms on a plug
    Z8.JPG

Haffy likes this.
  15. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

Some more
    Z9.JPG
    Z15.JPG

Z16.JPG

Z17.JPG

Z18.JPG

Z19.JPG

Z11.JPG

Z12.JPG

Z13.JPG

Z14.JPG

Baz and Haffy like this.
  16. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

And last one for now
    ZZ1.JPG

Any feedback and suggestions will be welcomed

I must say this was a steep learning curve coming from Freshwater and it is very fulfilling.

My wife took a keen interest as well and she took all feeding on her self, with the exception of the feeding of the Corals.

She is much worse than me if we walk into a lfs, and we are lately like locals at Dorrys

Makes it easier during the day as well as she knows the tank and inhabitant behavior and immediately picks up if something is off

The bad thing is obviously that she sends me all these pics or videos while I am stuck at work

BarryRoux and Haffy like this.
  17. KATHIE

KATHIE

Whats is the thickness of the glass?

18. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

10mm and the bottom 2 x 10mm panes

19. KATHIE

KATHIE

Thanks. I was looking at those dimensions for my next tank. What overflow do you have?

20. OP
    Dprz

Dprz

It is a normal overflow box on the short side of the tank, drilled at the bottom with Durso valve. Rerurn line also comes back in from the bottom.

There is also a blanked off hole I assume that was used for overflow but the current arrangement is more than sufficient to handle the flow

21. KATHIE

KATHIE

Nice.

Recent Posts