My 1000L tank & Algae

Reaction score
Hallo Everyone

Here is the details about my Tank

Tank :
Size 2000 x 600 x 820
+-984L
Sump : 120x39x39 water only 26C high (+-120L)

• Pellet reactor : Reef Octopus MF-300B
  • Skimmer : Aquaria Skimmer model APS - 03 - S2900-CI 1200Lt (Not 100% sure, got it with the tank)
  • Ozone : HLO 800

Lights :
8 x 39w T5

Wave maker : VorTech MP40

Fish :
2 Clown fish
5 damsels
1 Blue Eye Royal Dottyback
2 Cleaner shrimp
1 jumping bean
1 blue surgeon fish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Magnificent Anemone (Not doing so good)

20121102_172805.jpg

20121102_172810.jpg
20121102_172816.jpg

20121102_172820.jpg

20121102_172824.jpghttp:

20121102_172828.jpg

20121102_172845.jpg

20121102_172857.jpg

20121102_172911.jpg

Last edited:
1 Magnificent Anemone (Not doing so good)
Most likely the Lights....You'r T5 would never be enough for the Nennie...you will HAVE to upgrade the Lights....
For example, Heteractis Magnifica loves light, and serious anemone keepers will not even consider keeping this animal in less than 400 watt metal halide lighting!
http://www.reeftime.com/reef-articles/anemone-articles/begginers-guide-keeping-anemones/11.htm

..what are you'r water parameters...? How long has the Tank been running...?

Last edited:
The LR and fish came form my previous tank Hallo MASA - Marine Aquariums South Africa was running (guessing) +-14 Months

But the current tank have been running for +-7 Weeks now.

3 weeks ago I added fine aragonite to a small compartment int he sump for a small dsb
2 weeks ago I added big clunks of "Crushed coral" in my sump for extra LR

Will post pictures and details of the water and sump Tonight or tomorrow morning.

Hay bud, a lot of that LR looks like stones and sandstone. I will come out to your place and check out the LR you have. If it is sandstone and beach stones then it will be releasing silicate and that is your algae problem. But let me have a look first before any assumptions and actuations are made.

http://www.reeftime.com/reef-article...nemones/11.htm
Thank you: a very interesting and informative article, I wish I saw this earlier.

Hay bud, a lot of that LR looks like stones and sandstone. I will come out to your place and check out the LR you have. If it is sandstone and beach stones then it will be releasing silicate and that is your algae problem. But let me have a look first before any assumptions and actuations are made.

Thank you: I will PM you my details and we can take it form there

I know this Rock does not count as LR but the small anemome's prefer the smoother tock according to what I have seen

20121001_180130.jpg

there are a couple of things that stand out with this tank at the momet Biovolt and hopefully if you can make changes things will go better.

The depth of that tank plus t5 lights (especially just 8x 38W) will not be enough for most corals and def not enough for that nennie. Also the age of the system (just on 7 weeks) means that things havent stabilised and i think your nennie is reacting to adverse water quality more than anything else. It will take a while before things stabilise and untill then that nennie shouldnt realy be in that tank in my opinion. Its just going to give you hassels and heartbreak as it is at the moment.

NJ mentioned your LR and the quality of LR is of prime importance, plus the amount of LR you add is important. a simple rule of thumb is to have 1kg of LR for every 10l of water vollume of the system. I think you will need a good deal more in order to create enough criticle mass of bacteria to cycle nutrients efficiently in that tank.

also those 'small nennies' as you call them, normally prefer far cooler tanks than a tropical reef tank and thus cant realy be kepts with tropical nennies, corals or tropical fish which need a tank around 25 degrees.

That yellow and black damsel is also a problem fish. They become VERY aggressive and turn solid brown as they grow. Neoglyphidodon nigroris, Black-and-gold chromis : aquarium

Thank you.

Currently my yellow tang is a bigger problem, it is trying to eat my cleaner shrimp.
Already killed 1 and my shrimp (one of my first 5 "inhabitants of the original tank is still there)

Here is 2 pictures of my sump

20121106_201540.jpg

20121106_202459.jpg

And one of the Nennie
The one in the first pictures was not how it normally looks. This one taken tonight is a better representation
20121105_185237.jpg

Last edited:
Is this tank still running? It has sooo much potential... I have a similar problem with the algae though, hope you got it sorted, and if you did what did you do?

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom