MY 1.5m DIY LED Unit Build

RiaanP

Reaction score

should get a table to work at.
My knees would be painful sitting like that after soldering 100 leds. Nevermind my back.

Reaction score

should get a table to work at.
My knees would be painful sitting like that after soldering 100 leds. Nevermind my back.
First pics you would see we worked outside on the patio, but it was just way to cold to work outside this weekend

Reaction score
Are you mounting the LEDS directly onto the trunking.
I'd be worried about that. Look I run 10w LEDS at 60% and they can get very warm if not hot.
Not sure about the 3w but I'm sure of 2 things that could happen, the LEDS will warp the plastic from the warmth of the light or worst case physically melt the plastic trunking.
It's a great design idea.
But I would of suggested getting some aluminum U channel from a big hardware outlet.
Just my 5c
Other than that great looking project.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you mounting the LEDS directly onto the trunking.
I'd be worried about that. Look I run 10w LEDS at 60% and they can get very warm if not hot.
Not sure about the 3w but I'm sure of 2 things that could happen, the LEDS will warp the plastic from the warmth of the light or worst case physically melt the plastic trunking.
It's a great design idea.
But I would of suggested getting some aluminum U channel from a big hardware outlet.
Just my 5c
Other than that great looking project.
I was going the aluminium route but Improved living said the plastic would be good, they know what they doing so trust them, push comes to shove if i do see it warping over time will change to aluminium

Reaction score
I would of gone with your gut feel from the start.do it once do it right.plus the aluminum will dissipate the heat and give your LEDS a longer life span.

Reaction score
Hi there. Nice build so far. Ive built 2 led units with parts from improved living. One is a 1m unit for my 1,2m tank, and other is a high power hybrid chip unit for my wifes cube. As said, the leds get extremely hot, and will warp and melt the plastic. Best is build up the chip with the led on the heatsink and then fasten onto aluminium. Good lyck, your corals will love the leds

Reaction score
Like i said earlier i dont see a heatsink. Those star type heatsinks is not an actual heatsink but a PCB. That needs to be mounted against a aluminium heatsink. Whatever improved living said is incorrect. Those leds will all burn in a short while. Ive build close to 8 different diy led units, thats excluding my first runs that turned out very badly. Aluminum u trunking will work fine but you will have to mount fans on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi There
Just my 5 cents, I recently ordered and built the Improved LED lighting kit, 5 channels 10 drivers and 7 LEDs per driver so 70 LEDs in total. This is for my 1.2m tank, I myself used the exact same plastic trunking as you have used and It has Been running for just roughly over a week, the LED temperature is not an issue at all, But the drivers do get extremely hot, but also not hot enough to melt the plastic I had to move the drivers out of the plastic trunking as the LEDs were pulsing quite a lot due to the excessive heat as the drivers were enclosed so i removed the plastic trucking drilled vent holes around where the drivers were located and so far its been running like a dream with no hiccups hope this helps and saves a headache or two.

Reaction score
Hi There
Just my 5 cents, I recently ordered and built the Improved LED lighting kit, 5 channels 10 drivers and 7 LEDs per driver so 70 LEDs in total. This is for my 1.2m tank, I myself used the exact same plastic trunking as you have used and It has Been running for just roughly over a week, the LED temperature is not an issue at all, But the drivers do get extremely hot, but also not hot enough to melt the plastic I had to move the drivers out of the plastic trunking as the LEDs were pulsing quite a lot due to the excessive heat as the drivers were enclosed so i removed the plastic trucking drilled vent holes around where the drivers were located and so far its been running like a dream with no hiccups hope this helps and saves a headache or two.
Good to hear, I was luckily not to far into my previous build hahahah wait my bonsai's have a 800 bucks perspex box now, I did a redesign with I now feel more comfortable with and its slightly more sleek

Reaction score
So decided I want a redesign and this is a longterm builld, I got 3 sheets of alluminium cut to site, bottom sheet largest to be drilled for lights, a sheet that lays on the lights acting as a heatsink plate and then a slightly larger sheet to finish the top, also salvaged some perspex and did a nice border, nice sleek design, only about 30mm thick, also used some perspex for 4 arms to fit nice and snug in my canopy until I go topless

had it running for about 24hours and runs nice and cool

Also easy access for maintenance with a 6 screw releases system

Some Random pics of the redesign, some drilling and glueing

Drilled.jpg
Drilling.jpg
Glue (1).jpg
Glue (2).jpg

Reaction score
Some assembly Pics in no particular order, might add 2 small 12v fans inside the top sheet

Assembly (1).jpg
Assembly (2).jpg
Assembly (3).jpg
Assembly (4).jpg
Assembly (5).jpg
Assembly (6).jpg
Assembly (7).jpg

Reaction score
Camera doesnt pic up the colour that it really displays but in a nutshell it feels like i have upgraded my tank from normal HD to ultra HD, colours popping more

Top Bottom