My 1.2 micro reef

Discussion in 'New Members' started by NFactor, 8 May 2009.

1. NFactor

NFactor

Hi All,

This is my first post on MASA and first off, thanks for the great forum, I have learnt alot here reading the posts over the last few months so thanks.

Ok so onto the good stuff of my first tank:

Tank = 1200x450x450
    Sump = 900x350x350
    Sump is a simple 3 chamber setup (1st skimmer, then DSB, then return) with 12cm DSB and Cheato
    Reeftek TS2 Skimmer
    2x Sunsun 5000lph pumps
    DIY Corner overflow with syphon break to sump
    2000lph return pump
    Approx 15kgs Live Rock and approx 10kgs base rock
    DIY auto-top up
    Going to be doing water changes with 2 Oceans NSW
    Lighting - this is where quesiton 1 comes in ;)

So, lighting - I'm looking at keeping soft corals in my system and not looking at SPS or LPS for the moment, I was thinking of getting a lighting unit with 4x 39w T5's in it (2x white and 2x blue atanic) - will this be enough lighting for the softies? I have read on the net that 3-4w per gallon is ideal for softies but this doesnt take into account the height of the tank?

Some annoying news is I noticed earlier that I seem to have a slow phantom leak in my sump - you know the old saying where there is smoke there is fire, this doesnt seem to apply to where there is damp there is the leak :razz: but will find the bugger

All in all the tank is in its 4th week of cycling and hoping to start stocking soon - depening on paramaters of course which are busy stabalising.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    P.S I know you guys love your pics, will try get that sorted soonest :p

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome Nfactor

Your lighting will do well for softies.

Sounds like a nice setup you have, good luck and enjoy the ride :)

4. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

Welcome To Masa Good To Have Post Pics

5. Tony

Tony

Welcome. I'm glad to see you did your homework

6. keyaam

keyaam

Welcome to MASA Nfactor. Sounds like you off to a great. I see you will be using two oceans water. Some members have been complaining about high phosphates in their water so keep an eye on it. Regarding your lights, I would go for 4 54w to start off so that the whole reef gets light and you could place corals on ends of the tank as well.

7. crispin

crispin

Hi Nfactor a warm welcome to masa :)

thats a lovely system youve described. Sounds like you have the most covered and those lights sound fine for softies. Although its often an idea to rate lighting slightly higher than you expect as one always wants new things into the tank :)

pity about the damp, sorry to ask the obvious, but you certain its not spilt water while you have been doing a water change or working in the tank?

as you know we love seeing pics, it would be nice to see how youve set the stand up, what height and if there is a cabinet etc :)

That sump sounds dxelightfully simple and about perfect for now :) Have you checked that the sump can take the full over flow in time of a power failure?

have you thought about back up power?

Good luck with the tank, if its in the cycle what are the water parameters?

8. crispin

crispin

Nice suggestion Keyaam, its far nicer to have the slightly longer tubes that a 54W gives you and it spreads the light better. Good thinking there :)

Nfactor do you have refletors under the lights and are they on a photo period?

9. keyaam

keyaam

I forgot about reflectors crispin. Thanks for covering that. If you need reflectors there is a place in Montague gardens that sells highly reflective aluminium. They will cut to size and costs way less than normal reflectors. PM me if you need there number

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, NFactor! Awesome to have you on-board, man! Great that you have found and joined MASA!

WOW! I am REALLY impressed. You have REALLY done your homework. The reading was really worth it. And whomever advised you - kudo's to him/her!

You are starting out GREAT.

W.r.t the lighting question - your lighting will be MORE than perfect for starting out with soft-corals.

Please post the pics, and good luck with finding that leak!
    Rather now, than when you have life-stock in....

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA NFactor :)

12. crispin

crispin

hmmm i need reflectors too, but do they ship to Norway??:p

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Nfactor, hope you enjoy your stay with us. Looks like you're off to a good start and did some homework - very nice!
    Usually 4 foot T5's is 54 watt, so I agree with Keyaam on that one ;) - see if you can get a 6 x T5 unit, then you can use 4 x 10000k white tubes and 2 x actinics. Just remember some softies also compete with SPS in some reefs for the same sunlight. LPS on the other hand don't like too high flow as their flesh/skin can be torn off the skeleton or get damaged and they need moderate to strong lights.
    Good luck with your project, and remember to stock slowly :)

14. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

Good to see that you're off to a great start and that you seem to be patient! Patience is the name of this game...

15. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome nfactor:) tank sounds awesome man:thumbup: cant wait to see some pics!
    4x54w t5s should be fine.and if you can try get some reflectors it will make a big difference! thats what im going to be running.4x54w t5s 2x 12000k white and 2x actinic in a 4ft.

good luck;)

16. Monti

Monti

Just bear in mind that the Watt per Gallon approach is a little dated. More important is PAR.

4T5s are fine for softies in your tank (and even some LPS probably with some careful placement)

17. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey NFactor. Welcome!!! Ditto on the homework you did!!! On your light question, I have a little different aproach to it. Yes, rathter go for the 54W if possible. None the less, you propably know that the lower Kelvin lights are more bright (white) and the lower K rating, the better the coral growth. These T5's produce around 6700K. The problem with these, are that they make your water look like wee (yellow) and not nice for viewing (although your corals flourish in it...) Higher K like 18000K has a high blue spectrum, thus viewing is good and also a tad of yellow, so it helps with growth. Actnic are VERY high in the blue, and does not really produce much light for the coral to grow from, but actnic brings out the best color for our viewing.

My opinion on 4 tubes are thus this: Get two 6700K tubes, one 18000K tube and on Actnic 22000K or higher. This will then give you a nice bright lit tank yet you will still see some nice color. If possible, have two lights on two switches or timers. This will allow you to first light up the "blue" lights, and at peak day your "whites." When you are at work, viewing isn't important at all, but when you get home tonigh, you want to see those colors!!! That is when you switch off you whites, and keep the blues running until you switch them off...

Enjoy bud!!! sounds good!!!

18. burt

burt

hi there and welcome, some pic please

19. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Nfactor Welcome your tanks sounds awesome

20. RUAN

RUAN

welcom to MASA Nfactor

welcometomasa

21. Thinus

Thinus

Welcome to MASA
    Just a suggestion ... If you can increase the DSB depth to 15cm as this seems
    to be the optimum depth from what i have researched.

Recent Posts