mussels

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by mupwi, 19 Aug 2010.

1. mupwi

mupwi

hi there are any of you keeping muscles in youre tanks if so what do you feed them and what special requierments do theye have eg light aration ect

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

mussels are filter feeders and considering the fact that they live in the surf zone would more than likely need a lot of flow. possibly tidal flow, but I cant see that being too important. Lighting is the question on my mind too.....looking at the shell and the fact that the mussel itself never protrudes from its shell leads me to think that it doesn't require lighting such as crocea clams but I am sure that some light would be ok..........
    the above is obviously me hazarding a quess and please dont shoot me if some of its wrong.
    Its all seems logical to me although logic does not always apply when it comes to marine

4. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

howzit mupwi, I don't keep them but have noticed 2 tiny guys on a piece of rock that i bought maybe about 6months ago so they seem to be growing on that rock.....

5. llewellyn

llewellyn

Hi Mupwi
    I have a mussel in my tank. It came along on a piece of LR. It stays away from the light and is always wedged under a rock. The strange thing is that it moves when the lights are out and wedges itself under another rock (not very often).I would love to see how it moves though. I have also noticed that it leaves a tiny stem like thing behind each time it moves.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2010
  6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

mussels do not require any light as they are filter feeders and not photosynthetic. They do like a bit of flow.
    I kept them successfully for some time, but lost them all due to a temperature spike in my tank.

7. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

thanks this is starting to get intresting. llewellyn I have never before seen salt water musckes around here head for the dark they are normaly on the top sunny sides of rocks where I dive could you coment on what spicies you have. as for the stem I read that they sercreet a glue that sticks them to the rocks that they can then release to move around.

459b did you feed them on anythins spicific or just let them filter whatever was already in the tank hw high was the temp spike and what was the temp you normaly kept it at?

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

i had about 15 living in my sump. I never fed them anything. I normally run my tank at 24 degrees and the day they died the temp went well above 30 degrees. I collected the mussels on the west coast and had them for ages before they died. I checked last night and found i do have one lone mussel still thriving.

9. llewellyn

llewellyn

The one I have is a local one. It came on a rock I picked up at Ansteys beach in the Bluff. I have no idea what species it is but the shell is dark brown to black in colour. I'll try to get a pic of it this evening. Your comment on the glue that it secreets is exactly what it does.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2010
  10. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

ok if it is from ansteys it is the same as the ones I colect normaly behind the pool at brighton.

we put 3 in my friends tank last weekend and he has been feeding them on algy eater food as they are the only thing in the tank at the moment but I read that they can apear to be eating
    but still starve to death. speeking to hil last night he says they apear to be healthy and happy our (triplets). we are going colecting specimens at vetchies tomorow so then there will be a bit more diversity in the tank.

11. llewellyn

llewellyn

Cool stuff. What is this algae eater food and how do you feed it to the mussel?

12. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I think it is the flake typ fish food for algy eating fish he has just been desolving it in water and seringing it in there general direction

13. llewellyn

llewellyn

Cool. I'm definately gonna try this. Thanks Mupwi

14. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

ive just been concirned as I read an artical that said muscles can apear to be eating as long as the partical sizes are right but end up starving because they arnt the right stuff if I remember the experiment was done with zooplancton sized pices of plastic with no nutritional value the muscles were hapily eating away till they died of malnutrition

15. llewellyn

llewellyn

Plastic??? Damn! What else would be good to feed them besides flakes. Should the food be liquified or just broken down into tiny particles?

16. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

17. llewellyn

llewellyn

Here's some pics of my mussel. Sorry for the bad quality, taken by cell phone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Posts