Mussels and their place in our tanks...

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by ShaunSwindon, 8 Apr 2013.

1. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

I was wondering if any on this forum have kept the common muscle from our shorelines in their tanks?

I am not planning on a trip to Durban soon but what are the positives if any or negatives of keeping these filter feeders in your tank :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. weezle

weezle

I have a muscle inside my tank he was a hitch hiker on some zoes I got while in the transkei
    Iv had him for about 6 months now. His shell has gone all purple from coraline now. He was only about 1cm long if that, wen I saw him in the tank and now I reacon he almost looks big enough to go in the pot. ;)

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

You guys propably mean "MUSSELS".
    Muscle is what you use to lift waterchange buckets, lol.
    I also have a mussel on LR that's in my tank (hitchhiker).
    He has been in my tank from day 1 when i got my first LR & has trippled in size since then.
    It normally opens up a bit more at night than day, & seems to do quite well.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2013
  5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon Thread Starter

My apologies. I meant Mussels :thumbup:

So I take it that they are not bad for your tank? I suppose though with no predators they could explode and take over liverock which your corals could have used? Or would they end up in the pot before that :whistling:

If I may ask what is the biggest a mussel has grown in someones tank and for how many years do these organisms live for?

My reason for all the questions is I have heard they are really good at taking out excess nutrients. Is this true pray tell?

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

They are excellent filter feeders, but doubt theres enough food in a tank for them to live long term.

7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Thats true, im pretty sure that mine will eventually outgrow my tanks food producing capacity.

8. ShaunSwindon

I have also been reading at places like this Aquarium Invertebrates: Green-Lipped Mussels Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog and I understand why so many of us do not make efforts to go into our oceans to harvest them for our tanks :blush:

Simply put they eventually will not survive I understand. Pretty much everyone is saying that :(

Regardless I had one hitch-hiker from my original liverock. He is still alive and well. Unidentified but alive. He has not multiplied in over 2 years of the tank running. I will take pics soon and request ID if that is ok with you good people :whistling:

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Mussels dont split like corals. Youll need at least two to spawn etc etc for more to pop up.

10. ShaunSwindon

No my hitch-hiker is not a mussel.

To me he looks more like a brown button polyp. I will post pics one of these days :whistling:

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Black Mussels like those on the rocks will nor survive. They like to be exposed at times. Well they are on the open rocks in the first place. I did try 5 or 6 last year. Eventually they all died. The one who survived the longest was small, less than 10mm.

Other bi-valve will survive. Depending on your system. I got a small brown bi-valve that grown to about 3cm on my DSB. I got another 2 white mussels in my remote DSB for a year now.

12. Munky82

Munky82

I had a couple a few years back in my sandbed of my display tank. Was all going well till my foxface got curious and nipped at one. It closed shut and caught it by the mouth. Wasn't home when it happened. My folks opened it with a spoon. Foxface recovered but the mussels fell prey to a pair of carnivorous snails which the local petshop sold to me as turbos. Glad my folks didn't get stung by the foxface's barbs.

Recent Posts