Mushrooms question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Tim S, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Tim S

Tim S

Hi, I hade a few diffirent colour mushrooms on various rocks and all were growing and looking good. I fragged them and place the diffirent colours in fairly close proximity to each other on the same rock (a few cm's apart). They took well and now look small and lost their nice colours. Could this be because they don't like being close to diffirent species or some other reason?

Can someone assist please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

how long ago did you frag them? maybe they still need some time;)

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Tim - how long ago did you frag them?

Once you have "disturbed" mushrooms, they do take a while to re-adjust themselves to the environment again.... Mushrooms lives together 100%, even in very close proximity.

Did you change the location perhaps to where you had them before?

Mushrooms does not like a lot of water flow - do you perhaps have them in a high flow area? Or does the location where you have them in, have a huge amount of light?

5. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

I fragged them about a month ago, before I went on holiday.I had a net over them to hold in position for about a week and then they stuck. I went away for 3 weeks and came back to find them looking sad. The salinity was a bit high as the person looking after our pets got the drums mixed up. This and other params normal. Position - they are centrally positioned between the mh's and right on the bottom of the tank. Flow seems to pass arround them as there is a mound of rock to either side of them. The flow does not move them much, an occasional ripple on the mushroom egde is the only visible indication of flow I can get. I have two vortecks running about 60% and two 150w mh's. They looked better just before the holidays and I'm wondering if the drop in water quality could have caused this.

6. jacquesb

Yes - the drop on water quality/salinity (increase) could definitely have had this effect on them....... "fix" the water quality issues, and then give them a few days to adjust again.
    They should get better again....

7. inflames

inflames

Agreed with Jacquesb and also maybe dose (not overdose) iodine! When I fragged my mushrooms...dosing iodine helped all of them in the tank!

8. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

OOOOOOOOOOO! The "dose or not to dose" question. HMMM... I have read about iodine dosing on the forum which seemed to come with a warning. I look deeper into it to see how much how often etc, etc..

9. inflames

inflames

Hi Tim,

Yes, allot of guys will say dont dose what you cant test for! Iodine tests are very expensive and the accuracy probably questionable. All I have to go by is MY PERSONAL experience with iodine dosing. I mix 25ml iodine with 250ml RO. I then dose 1ml per 100litres of water (I have a total volume of about 300 litres), so 3ml every 3rd day or so. I can say that my mushrooms have most definately welcomed the dosing!

10. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Well I've been dosing about 2 weeks now. I also started dosing Vodka at the same time as I found the PO4 very high but NO3 undetectable. I think it's possibly due to overfeeding. I have a few hermits and shrimps and the fish gobble up everything and leave nothing to fall to the bottom. My concern is the ground dwellers not getting any food. Anyway, the mushrooms are looking much better since starting the iodine. My skimmer has also started working differently afer a week of vodka dosing. The foam and skimate look diffirent. The foam is not so dry and sticky any more. PO4 levels also dropping (withoutwater change)

All good for now untill the next disaster.....:)

11. jacquesb

12. FransSny

FransSny

With today's salt mixes and keeping up a regular WC regime, I seriously doubt the need to dose iodine, except when propagating as this will make the softies heal and grow faster

Also be careful as studies have shown that regular iodine dosing will shorten the lifespan of "shedding invertebrates" ie. shrimps, hermits etc as it hastens their life cycle

Anyway my 2C

13. maj

maj

wheres the fun if ther aint little disasters:p

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Understand what you say Frans
    But, if you have a lot of hermits or other invets, yes then dosing Iodine extra is ok or actually needed.
    Iodine got a very short livespan, That is why you must dose it everyday. I doubt if the levels of iodine in the salt mix will last a full week to be of benefit to the inverts.

15. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Hi Frans,

Not be a pest but have you managed to find out about the Vortech parts supposedly sent by Scott. He said he sent it a month ago already. The second magnet is also got small rust marks and I'm worried the rust will get into the water. The 1st unit is so bad I had to remove it from the tank. Flow in the tank is drastically down as a result.

16. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Hi Riaan,
    I notice you refer to daily iodine dosing. All the threads I've read state dilte 1 to 10 with RO, 1ml per 100L every 3 days. Whats your take on this?

17. Anemone

Anemone

Tim, how high did your salinity get?

18. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

It got to 1.024

19. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Tim, apologies for the mix up....I am still trying to sort this out with AD. What model do you have again ? The reason for me asking is I have pumps that has never touched water...was part of my 3 mtr tank planning but due to budget (and move to CT) they are still packed ! I can take out the magnets, cover etc and help you get that one pump running so long ?

Once your parts arrive I can just swop back...what do you think ?

20. Anemone

Anemone

1.024 is not too high. What do you normally keep it at?

Recent Posts