Mushroom only tank???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Wesd, 9 Nov 2013.

1. Wesd

Wesd

Hello all,

So I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever done a mushroom only tank (or atleast 90% of the corals being shrooms). I've seen a few 'zoa garden' tanks and thought why not do a mushroom garden in my 30L???

Basically im just looking for some possible examples so i can get an idea of how they look and whether or not it will be a root worth taking.

Any ideas :biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you can get enough different colours it should looks pretty good. Include rics and maybe a big elephant ear as a centre piece.

4. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

thanks Marius :) i finally found a few things on the web to give me an idea of the direction i want the tank to go in.

5. pkc

pkc

Yeh, this one that follows.
    It’s got a little sps and plates and other life as you can see, but I based it on mainly morphs and red capensis.
    The morphs are really happy under the led replacement fluoro tubes of just ten watts each tube and only three of them.
    Getting it all right to have these life forms do really well is so easy, you do the right thing for them and you will be culling morphs in no time.
    One thing with morphs sometimes is that the flow they like sometimes encourages cyano here and there, not much, just a little!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Nov 2013
  6. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

nice setup, i dont know if ive read this correctly but are you saying you replaced Leds with normal flourescent tubes? If that is the case what is the kelvin rating on the tubes, if you dont mind me asking

7. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ

How about this shroom tank

8. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

I dont know if its just my computer, but theres no pic showing on my side :mellow:

9. pkc

pkc

No the tubes are to replace standard fluro tubes, they have leds in them and look just like fluro tubes!
    These tubes fit the standard fitting but you have to disconnect the ballast and fuse, its house hold AC and just positive in one end negative out the other end, that's all they need.
    I have some with just 10 one watt diodes in each 2 foot tube of 50/50 cool white and standard blue diodes of 120 degree optics and then these others I use that grow the same life forms have forty quarter watt diodes in them with optics of 60 degrees and the same colours.
    For sps you have to keep them up the top and for everything else,especialy sun corals, morphs etc,etc, they work really good.
    I got mine from the manufacturer in china a couple of years back.

10. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

ok i understand now, thanks for the explaination. What would you say is the minimum lighting i could get away with is for just corallimorphs (most likely discosomas being the bulk), tank is 30cm deep, power compact? At the moment im running my spare T5 unit over the tank (39w tubes, 1 actinic, 1 white) but its not exactly economical seeing as about a third of the unit over hangs the edge and serves no purpose in illuminating the tank (and leds might not be an option so any other ideas). :thumbup:

11. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ

sorry image didn upload
    [​IMG]

12. pkc

pkc

The main issue with resistance lighting is it fades and you get caught out usually.
    It is still on but the colours fade.
    All tubes have multiple phosphorus coatings in side the tube and these make the colours, with the heat that is part of resistance lighting, this ruins the coatings capacity to emit colours and colour frequencies are what make photosynthesis possible!

UVR has nothing to do with photosynthesis! it actually harms all plant life, including algae clades with in the corals cells.
    Even metal halides colours die at the same rate as tubes, they are still on but the imbedded colours are going and we use to get caught out.

I hated being stuck with resistance lighting and when leds, that were accidentally invented in the 1920s finally got going good enough for reef life in the early 2000s and so it was good by resistance lighting, finaly!!!!

Mate I hate resistance lighting and all those years of being stuck with that rubbish, so I am not the one to ask which is best, none are any good in my opinion.

Leds come in any shaped option, even ones that work under water.

13. pkc

pkc

That looks great, I have blues, purples and reds in my top tank.

14. seank

seank

@MarcVanJ, absolutely stunning. Something different...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. MarcVanJ

MarcVanJ

i really love this tank! such a beautiful tank with vibrant colours

16. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

My thoughts were to do something along these lines, although i'll be pretty happy if mine looks half that good :D haha

how long have you been running this superb tank?

17. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

Ok so for future reference you're an LED only man :lol: thanks for the info on the tubes though, knew they lost intensity over time but i didnt realise it was that drastic.

18. pkc

pkc

My T5s, when I went to T5s in the 90s started losing their capacity to inspire photosynthetic responses from just under 4 months.
    With a good elec ballast it was a couple of weeks longer.

This is about tubes internal powder coatings.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1936-fluorescent-t5-t8-and-other-tube-coral-growing-colour-functions#7777

19. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

Recent Posts