Mushroom Coral

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Jaco Schoeman, 30 Dec 2008.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys (and girls)

My cleaner crew has sorted out my tank on filth. I did not want to spend hundreds of rands on introducing expensive corals, so I bought two loose mushroom corals (ones that was shed from their colonys) I can not get the to ancor though. Been having them for two days now. I personally think that the one will not survive, as I had to handle it far to often. My powerhead just blows it away if the current is to strong. Then I found a nice quite spot, and last night my snail decided to do some interior decorating of his own.

So the pet shop suggested that I place a soft net over them and the rock for about a week. This will make them attach. I did it, but now are all folded up, which tells me they are not happy.

Any advise on this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

It doesn't sound like they are doing too well if they are folded up. To get them to attach I usually just "sew" them onto a rock. Stick the needle and thread right through them and then just tie it onto a bit of rock. Otherwise if you put them into a jar with a bit of rock rubble they should attach to a piece of rubble and that should hold them down. (put the jar in the tank with the lid off)

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Doesn't sewing them on hurt them or kill them? I take it you do it through their bottom parts? Which is most effective?

5. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

No, mushrooms and most softies are very tough. I do it through sort of from the bottom next to the center, over the center and through again the other side of the center (so it's "pulling" the center/base onto the piece of rock.

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

You can also use a toothpick to "spear" them and then stick it in the substrate, after a couple of weeks you can then glue them to rock.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Put a small piece of rock or shell in a small glass jar, no lid, put that in your tank, they should stay in the jar, not blown away. After a couple of days he will attach himself to the small piece. Then just move the small piece to whereever you want to.
    I got 2 types of mushrooms currently in jars. It seems that if they are not happy or are splitting, they just let go and float around. This works for me.

8. Pete

Pete

Tumbler glasses are not only for drinking whiskey:) they are also excelent for putting your corals in that you would like to attach to a piece of rock:thumbup:

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Elastic bands will help.

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

can you not temporarilt reduce or stop the flow over the area where you are reying to place them? i push mine into a crevice in a rock and lower the flow.. the one i seated about a month ago has a baby, probably pinched it when i pushed it into the crevice...

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Just bite the bullet, and stick a toothpick through the mushroom.

What you do is to stick it through the base, so it protrudes horizontally from the base on either side - then just tie the two protruding ends of the toothpick lightly to a piece of rock, thus pressing the base of the 'shroom onto the rock (you can use cotton, fishing line or elastic bands - basically anything which won't go "frot" in 2 weeks time...)

It probably sounds really cruel, but believe me, after you've done this once or twice you will see that it does not damage the 'shroom, and in fact it's less stressful to it than having it tumble around in your tank.

Good luck with your first "fragging" experience...

Hennie

12. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Just listen carefully you will be able to hear them scream. :razz::lol::lol:

13. Reef Maniac

Now Sean, don't be nasty :nono:

The poor guy is obviously scared that he is going to harm the 'shrooms - just as we all were before we "stuck it through them" the first time :whistling:

Hennie

14. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I just could not resist.:biggrin:

15. Reef Maniac

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

16. Jaco Schoeman

Nah guys. Call me a softy but I rather opted for the glass bottle. Used a purity bottle for about a week and Bob's your uncle. It's aliveand growing quite fast must say...

17. Jaco Schoeman

... will propably spear them next time though. As you space gets limmited a bottle might not work so well...

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I put my glass bottle in my sump. On the DSB. That work, and before any smarties comment that I got a dead DSB area, just chech first how big is a Purity bottle:razz:

I tried another mushroom directly on a small LR in the sump. Put small rock on the sand with shroom on it. And the flow was not strong enough to blow it away.
    Got another on a shell in the DSB as well.

Moving them upstairs this weekend.

Recent Posts