mushroom care - iodide dosing

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by inflames, 20 May 2009.

1. inflames

inflames

Hi Guys,

Been doing allot of research on mushroom propogation and would like to try my hand at it. :razz: Currently have 2 different colonies (green and hairy). Have done some reading and there seems to be some "conflicting" results regarding Iodine. I understand that mushrooms seems to respond very well to adding Iodide as a supliment and yet allot of people think otherwise that Iodide does not need to be replaced in an aquarium (enough iodide is available from the salt mix). I have recently bought Seachems Reef Plus. I have been adding 15ml twice weekly for the last 3 weeks. I have noticed that both colonies of Mushrooms are bigger and look healthier! Do you think that additional Iodide (iodine) supplementation is nessesary to increase growth and inccrease channces of succesfull propogation?:35: Any thoughts and feedback would be great!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Iodine is rapidly removed from our tanks due to skimming, use of carbon and just being used by the organisms present. Daily small doses of iodine are preferred over larger say once a week amounts but yes even here you will get a lot of different opinions with some not dosing at all yet still having good success. Nori or other marine algaes also have a fair amount of iodine present but how much comes out the other end of a fish after eating is afaik unknown.
    Personally i dose a little daily.

4. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Thanks Midas, What brand do you dose with? Do you also tests your levels or just kinda add a little? is is just iodide or is it mixed with a complex of other additives?

5. brentnorm

brentnorm

First thing to do is test your current system for Iodine. Just like calcium there is a recomended saturation of Iodine recomended for tank water.

6. brentnorm

brentnorm

One of Seachems multitest kits has Iodine test in it.

7. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Think i'll get the level tested this weekend. But what would be the most suitable way of adding and maintaining the correct levels. I dont think that monitoring the level of iodine in a system is that important (compared to calcium, nitrate, magnesium, ph, alk and so on) unless you wanna try what I am thinking of trying...propogate mushrooms. My thinking is that once the mushrooms have been spliced and put back in the tank that if they use require or use iodide as food to heal then surely my level of iodide or the use of iodide would go up? and then again is adding iodide that important or not?

8. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Pure Reef Supplements, used to test with Salifert but dont bother anymore, just stick to the instructions on the bottle. It is mainly iodide with a little iodine.

9. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Thanks Midas, why do you dose and have you noticed a difference?

10. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Well i`ve always dosed so i dont have a comparison with dosing and not dosing.
    24hrs is apparently the lenght of time iodine will stay in solution before being exported or used so based on this i just dose a little daily.

Recent Posts