Mushroom and Polyps growth

Kevin

Shrimp
Reaction score
Given adequate lighting and excellent water parameters how long do mushrooms and button polyps take to multiply.

My green mushrooms have almost doubled in size in 7 weeks and the polyps have opened up nicely. When can I expect some sort of muliplication as my one polyp and mushroom are now touching and the mushroom seems to a bit aggresive towards the polyp. They are on the same rock so one of them will have to give way.

Thanks

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Maybe frag your shrooms if they getting too big and intruding on the polyps? The shrooms would take some time to grow back and give the polyps time to multiply, a short term solution? Just an idea.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
As the chemical warfare kicks in you will see a slow down in natural cloning as most energy is used for the war at hand.

If you separate the two types of coral you will see incredible multiplication.

But this is not always good, as mushrooms can overrun a tank IMO.

Fragging mushrooms, makes them multiple even quicker.

Coral growth and reproduction is all about the limited real estate they have available.

Can be very intereting what certain corals do to get rid of competition.

I have mushrooms that totally covered Zoas, to basically starve them of light and eventually killed them.

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
As the chemical warfare kicks in you will see a slow down in natural cloning as most energy is used for the war at hand.

If you separate the two types of coral you will see incredible multiplication.

But this is not always good, as mushrooms can overrun a tank IMO.

Fragging mushrooms, makes them multiple even quicker.

Coral growth and reproduction is all about the limited real estate they have available.

Can be very intereting what certain corals do to get rid of competition.

I have mushrooms that totally covered Zoas, to basically starve them of light and eventually killed them.
Seperating was what first sprung to mind, but being on the same rock i thought maybe seperation was not an option. :whistling:

I had the same problem in my old tank with mushrooms, they eventually landed up killing the Kenya Tree frag that was situated on the same rock as them. :(

Kevin

Shrimp
Reaction score
The one polyp which is almost touching the mushroom is often curled up and closed.

Maybe I should move the polyp

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Mushrooms are one of the easiest corals to move. Spoon them off the rocks, works great.

Then use some sort of fine mesh substance (I use old onion bags) and attach to frag rock with elastic band and leave for a week and Bob's your aunty.

Really easy.

Kevin

Shrimp
Reaction score
In begining Dec last year, when I started the tank, I had 5 green mushrooms, I now have 9. At his rate they wll cover the rock in a mater of months.

I will try and move some next month.

dallasg

Reaction score
if you want to get rid of some, i will take :)

dallasg

Reaction score
haha, i dont mind paying especially when stock from reefers as some lfs dont have the best systems :)

*plus it might be my jewish upbringing* :)

Kevin

Shrimp
Reaction score
I will keep you in mind Dallas. I will need to make some rock first so I have something to stick them to.

dallasg

Reaction score