mushroom advice

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Chris Makings, 7 Aug 2013.

1. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

Hey all

So I got these mushrooms from my lfs yesterday for a really good deal,

He did however say that I don't need to feed them( which I don't really believe) he did how however say that I can use a thing called fuel to help them grow,

I just really don't want my first coral to die on me, I would really like to know what is the best way to care for them.

[​IMG]

thanks in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Damen

Damen

hey dude

fuel is awesome stuff and does well. but saying that they the only coral as you said in the tank at the mo. so the fuel would go to waste. do you have any fish in the tank yet? if so they will grab some of their food. hence the LFS saying they dont need to be fed. if no fish. cyclopeez is great stuff to use.

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

They are very hardly...I don't feed mine anything extra...as it gets the odd "food" when I feed my Fishy's...but here is some info for you...:)
    [​IMG]
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+598+653&pcatid=653

Last edited: 7 Aug 2013
  5. Chris Makings

Chris Makings Thread Starter

Thanks all, I do understand that they very hardy, I do have 3 fish in the tank and I only feed pellets, would that be fine? Or should I get flakes as well? With regards to lighting and flow for them, I have a Juwel 200Lt with standard lights that came with them, the lfs has order the marine lights for me, so waiting on those which will only come in a couple weeks, so I have placed them half way in the tank, would that be fine? The lights are just two natural lights that came with the tank, what type of flow do they like?

6. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

Hi Chris , Shrooms are a "weed" they will grow anywhere, low light low flow heavy flow lots of light they will do well and will tend to move where they are happy. Dont stress to much about them they will be fine.

7. Chris Makings

@JamesHunter, thanks, so they will basically come off the piece of rock they on and move to a new spot if they not happy?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. mornewil

mornewil Morne

You will have to move them around and see where they are happy. I would say place them in a low light, low flow area. They do best in these conditions

Ashh likes this.
  9. Chris Makings

Hey all, so the mushrooms seem to be doing fine, just. A couple questions,
    How do. I know if they happy where they are?
    Also. They seem to be a bit diffrent in colour, not the bright green or blue when I got them? Could it. Be because of the lighting I got in the tank?

10. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

the colour they are depends on your lights

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

When they're a bit shrivelled and small then the colour is more intense. When they're happier and expanded after a few days in the tank then the colour is less vivid. Think of how blowing up a balloon makes the colour lighter? Same thing.

Ashh likes this.
  12. Chris Makings

@Lord_Blackadder thanks for the advice, I do. Under stand that when they blow up the. Colour is more vivid, they have fully opened and they not the bright blue and green as they where in the lfs, more of a purple and brown, I do maybe think it might be due to the lights I have as I only have the standard juwel lights that came with the tank, have order the marine t5 from the lfs and they say they should get it shortly, do you think it could be the lights?

13. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Lights will make a difference. Bluer light (14-20k) will give more fluorescence and make blues/greens/purples look better.

14. NO3

NO3

How many light fittings do you have?

15. Chris Makings

I only have two that was standard on the tank, I have order one. White and one blue t5 marine lights for juwel a juwel tank. Waiting for them to come.

16. Chris Makings

Hey all, I go these mushrooms on Saturday, it was on the coral in the Sam pic, I did a bit of maintance yesterday on my tank, like I do every Sunday and. All of a sudden they have turned out the way they are now, Saturday afternoon. They where fully open and after I cleaned the tankand topped up with water they went really small, any idea what it could be, water salinity is at 1.024, amonia 0.1, nitate 0, nitrite 0,

I do does once a week with the red sea coral colour program, only on a Sunday.

Are they just sulking? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry about the pic quality

17. Chris Makings

They where a light brown, with almost bubble tips in them, now they like a grey colour and all closed up.

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Could be, they are like anemones and can close and open whenever they want to. How are they looking now?

19. Chris Makings

They are fully open now, both of them, and back to there brown colour, so I guess they where just sulking, not sure what typ of mushrooms they are, but glad they seem fine, now its just the other polypops on the same rock in the picture that has all of a sudden closed and not come out, but I did. Do a bit of a rescape yesterday to try catch the two damsels I had which I got. Any suggestions if I should just leave them? Or move them as well.

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Leave them, they'll be fine, almost all corals close up when they get disturbed, it's perfectly normal, they will re-open after a few hours.

21. Chris Makings

Thanks @viper357, it has been about a day that they have been closed but I will check them tonight when I get home, I did put reef snow in yesterday, so it might be that, don't know, will see how they are later today.

Recent Posts