murky bucket/transfer method water

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Barlan, 24 Mar 2014.

1. Barlan

Barlan

Hi all

i have 2 questions,
    1: why is the water in my bucket murky.
    2. why is my little clown acting strange.

history:
    we have a little tank we're using for the bucket transfer method, its about 12L, we're only filling up about 10L tho.

the water is literally 30 hours old, as we got 2 little (2cm long) snowflake clowns yesterday.

Salt is red sea salt, at 1.025.
    we have extra salt water on hand for daily water changes of probably 20%.

we've added a small heater, water pump, mercury thermom, airstone and pvc pipe. we added 1ml of stability and 4 drops of prime into the water. it was already turning a little murky, so we thought the products would help clear the water and control nitrates, ammonia etc.

water params are: PH 8.2, yesterday, havent tested alk, nitrates, nitrites or ammonia as there really shouldn't be any yet.

so, question 1: what could make the water murky?

now onto the question about my little clowns.
    one of my clowns has been acting funny since we got it, it tends to lie to one side and both seem "heavy". like the one that swims funny would try swim up about 2cm from the bottom of the tank and then sink like a stone would. they have both been at the bottom most of the time.

needless to say, i'm worried.

question 2: is this normal? or are they not going to make it? they were fine at the pet store :(

thank you all for listening.

hope to hear your comments soon.

B

20140324_211921.jpg

Last edited: 24 Mar 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

put the pump on the bottom so that it points upward, it is rather big and will create a lot of movement. If it is too strong and becomes a fountain, you need something to either restrict the outlet, split it into 2 outlets or a smaller pump.
    Clowns are not strong swimmers and will end up on the bottom resting.

4. SteveZi

SteveZi

I would take out the airstone as well as the heater...
    I also would not add anything to the water.
    What and how much are you feeding? and into what are you moving the fish with the 1st transfer?

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Please explain how you mixed your salt.

6. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

hi guys, thanks for replies

The next container is either a 30L tank or 30L bucket. Im feeding twice a day, small amount of cyclop eeze, some flakes, mysis and garlic guard. I feed it with a little pipette and I pre mix it nightly, before i go to bed i try stir up any food that hasnt been eaten with a small net.

They are both eating well just the one that was acting weird, does seem better tonight though .

7. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

Salt for the buckets is mixed in a 30L bucket, RODI water is put in then the salt and is mixed for 2 - 3 hours. Check salinity and out into bucket / little tank. Using red sea max salt.

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

And do you know what the SG of the lfs water was?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

feed less. And no frozen foods, unless you drain it properly.

Water quality with bucket transfer method is a problem, as you got no filtration. That is why I do a 50% water change every second day. Biggest challenge with the water change is to do it very slowly as PH, and all other parameters will be out.

10. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

I dont know the SG of the LFS water or ph :( stupid of me not to check. I did drip acclimate for 45 min

11. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Riaan, will stop the mysis.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and feed them minimum 30 minutes before you transfer them next time. So that the food waste stays behind.

With my schedule of every second day, I feed a bit more just before the transfer. The second day, I feed a lot less, so that there is no wastage.

with such a small volume water, you can easily do a transfer every day. But do not use nets and do not lift the fish out of the water. Clear plastic tubs or bags to move them will result in a lot less stress. Just do not scoop the bottom of the tank.

13. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

hi all

So tomorrow is the end of the clowns transfer method cycle. Its been 12 days with them changing container on the morning of the 3rd days.

i wanted to use my old RSM 130d as the QT tank, but my skimmer seems to be on the brink. If i run it in the bath tub it makes no / very little bubbles.

its been in the cupboard for the last 3 months, so maybe something inside is just a bit "dry" is there anything i can do to try get it to work properly again?

it was in a vinegar bath - but not running - for a week.

i've checked the magnet, its clean, the only parts i havent checked are the ones inside the motor. (i'm no engineer, so i havent opened it)

any ideas?

14. Riaanvw

Riaanvw

Hi Skimmer might be ok if the symptoms you describe is in fresh water . The real nice white foam that you are used to only happens when it runs in salt water with the correct SG.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2014
  15. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

@Riaanvw, thanks, yeah it was freshwater. Going to put it into salt water and see how it goes

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts