RSS Multichannel Multichip LED are coming from MarineReefLED and LED Group Buy

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 21 Jun 2013.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

Multichip LEDs have been available for reef aquarium lighting for some time now but the narrow spectrum and lack of controllability has prevented them from gaining widespread use. If colors and control is what has been holding them back, a new crop of multichannel multichip LEDs with a variety of colors is about to change all of that.

[​IMG]

LED Group Buy is the first one out of the gate with an impressive 100 watt array of LEDs in a multichip package with five channels of control. The Lumia 5.1 includes 50 LEDs garnished in neutral white, royal blue, hyper violet, deep red and true violet/cool blue colors to stimulate coral reef animals in growth, color and photosynthesis. LED Group Buy touts the Lumia 5.1 multichannel multicolor multichip (M3) LED as being equipped with exotic colors for LEDs with the bare $98 package being fully compatible with the MakersLED, the leader in DIY LED heatsinks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

On the smaller end of the spectrum, MarineReefLED just tipped us off to their own little darling multichannel multichip package. The 10w LED package is destined for QuadSpec range of LED lighting products with four colors being spread across 9 individual diodes and three channels of control. The MarineReefLED package is also of the “M3″ variety (multichip multichannel multicolor) and although you can’t get the bare component, we hope to soon see it arriving to reef tanks in various small fixture and spotlighting forms.
    <h4 class='related_post_title'>Readers also viewed:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click here to read the article...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

SOON
    the Led units will use more power than Metal Halides...

but still - WOW

4. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

I were looking on adding two of that Lumia 5.1 chips to my tank.It's 200 watt then in total.Price not bad and it will cover a 1,2m x 60 cm x 60 cm for $97 each??

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

depends on the lens

At worst if a narrow lens it will be great for deep tanks. But then more leds closer together.
    Wide angle, 120 degrees or more, and then it will work for shallow tank and less units next to each other.

6. Nur

Nur Starz

It covers 60cm x 60cm x 60cm.

I would need 4 for my tank, but including driver, heatsink, controllers power supply, fans etc etc.. Becomes very expensive.
    In a year or 2 this will be a great option.. But by then there will be even newer technology and will cost about the same as these now..
    Remember when LED's were launched even just the basic white and blue was expensive. Now it a dollar each. Available everywhere..

If you looking for value for money and features i'd go for the Reef Aquatics IntelliSun and it 85w and complete comes in cheaper than building a unit with this chips..

Just my 2c.. Bear in mind i waited almost 2 years before investing in LED's with the same justification..

Last edited: 21 Jun 2013
  7. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

These leds are great, however its not only the LED. Its the heatsink, Drivers for each channel, if you want to control the spectrum and colors and a diy controller to control all these 5 Channels. Then you need a heatsink a fan and the diy skills.

Then its shipping, customs, and vat.

Putting it together and making this all work fully controllable another job. I've been hearing of lots of DIY's lately needing drivers because their drivers blew. Then having to import them again from the US.

There are units that come with a year warranty at less than this cost.

But this is great for the DYI'er that loves the challenge, but IMO its definitely not the cheaper option.

There was a previous RSS Feed for these chips:http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=44063

8. Nur

Nur Starz

Hahaha, i just had a dof moment.. I knew i thought i saw this before, convinced myself it was Deja vu..
    Andre what is the warrenty with your units?

9. lIghty

lIghty

This would be a nice addition to the project I'm going to be starting soon....:biggrin:

10. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I still need to contact you on a project I'm starting soon :thumbup:
    Will be open source, but will be beyond insane!

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Search dream multichip on eBay

The driver is $30 for 100w

DIY only cheaper if you can do and have access to the right tools

12. lIghty

lIghty

By all means, I'll try help where ever possible! perhaps email me if you need.

Recent Posts