Mullet in reef tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Gemma, 3 Feb 2009.

1. Gemma

Gemma

I am wanting to start up a reef and fish tank which i have already circulating. I have had 2 x 10cm mullet in just to keep the cycle going. Have had the system going for over a year now and want to add small bits of live rock to start adding "life" to the system. Also want to add some little blue hermies. Does anyone know if the mullet will be detrimental to my future planned live rock and soft corals? I think they are vegeterian but they do eat the cichild sinking pellets which are aimed to more carnivorous appetites.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Storm

Storm

Mullets are fine in reefs although they are ugly looking, im surprised there eating as most of the time they die of starvation.

4. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

mullet 10 cm nice bait for cob. mullets will eat every thing but they mainly are algi eaters they will nibble on your corrals but mainly to eat the algi thats growing on your L/rock.they will do no harm in your tank but they will out grow it soon then you must phone me rather get some nice regular tang and damsels

5. Gemma

Gemma Thread Starter

Mullet survive great in my tanks. I normally wait untill they get bigger, release them back into ocean and catch some more, which is alot of fun.

6. Storm

Storm

U might want to consider getting Flagtailes. They are also common schooling fish and have a blue/white tails. Also common algae grazers

[​IMG]

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Not a wise thing, especially if you introduce exotic fish, rock or coral into your tank.

You can introduce unwanted aliens/prasites etc. into our local waters.

8. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Very important point, please be careful with taking local fish/inverts and mixing them with "foreign" species, if you release them as Warr said - you could devastate the local fish/invert populations.

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Just to add, there is talk of banning and ending the ornamental fish trade in South Africa (personally I highly doubt it), due to some cases of guppies getting into local eco-systems, and them being egg-eaters, destroying local populations.

Who would have thought a guppy could be so devastating.

So let's not push the local authorities into something like this.

Imagine Caulerpa getting into our local marine ecosystems :(:(:(

10. goodisor

goodisor

That is a good point.I have had hermits crabs that I caught before and when they got to big I tossed them back.I never gave it a second thought.....WONT do that again.!!!!

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I dont think its such a bad thing to put locally caught fish back into the sea. Should they rather be killed?
    The chances of introducing a parasite or foreign organism into the sea are minuscule when compared to ships emptying there ballists. How do you think the european mussel travelled all over the world, and the invasive crab, that has wiped out most local crab species, arrived in cape town harbours?

12. Warr7207

Warr7207

So what are you saying, lets make it worse.

It's pet owners attitude that is going eventually ban ornamental fish importing all together.

Look at how Trout and Bass are destroying the FW systems.

13. 459b

im saying you need to look at the bigger picture and see if putting fish back (under certain conditions) really is going to make such a huge difference whe ncompared to other factors.
    its not pet owners attitudes that will lead to the banning of fish imports...its the destruction caused by collecting the fish that will get it banned. Some work was done at the end of 2007 and it showed that around 2% of fish caught for the marine pet trade made it into tanks. Think about that next time you brag about your rare and expensive fish.

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

Yeah, I know what you are saying.

But conservation locally are talking about banning importing of all fish species, FW and marine, due to ecological reasons rather than the fish stock levels on the other side of the world.

15. 459b

they need to stop being so narrow minded about imports, and rater have better control over it than banning it outright.
    look at the fw fish for example. they have grouped all exotic fish into the same catagory, implying that trout are as harmful as bass. Ask any fisherman and they can tell you that trout in rivers do not survive all that well, whereas bass destroy everything. ANd thery never mentioned the effect carp have on systems...just because they not carnivorous, doesnt mean they dont screw up entire systems. Closing down the trout industry will mean the country looses millions of rand each year.
    now would be the perfect time to start breeding local fish for the pet trade - that way one can avoid the ban on imports and also stop the plundering of the oceans.

16. Storm

Storm

I just wanted to say the same thing about local breeding. Rather then import breed marines locally. Im sure a Breeders Association of some kind can be formed and maintained by the elites on here and outside of MASA and then propagated/sold to the public. And those that say certain marines cant breed in captivity are wrong. Provide the right conditions and anything is possible.

17. 459b

i like your optomism! thing about breeding fish in captivity, is you first have to understand their life cycle and breeidng patterns. This will include things like what time of year they spawn, where there breed, what the young eat, do they migrate to spawn etc. This can take many years of expensive and time consuming research. In theory breeding of all aquarium size fish should be possible in captivity, the main problem is finding the required funding and space to get things started. And as long as its still cheaper to harvest the fish form the ocean, then not much effort will be placed on captive breeding.

18. 459b

so how about those mullet in reef tanks then....

19. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

watch my thread :) i am going to try

20. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Miniscule or not, our hobby is responsible for the caulerpa that is growing totally out of control over many parts of the world, covering and killing vast areas of local corals and plants, thisi si simple fact, this is also why your govt is considering banning imports, because we, the hobbyist cannot be trusted.

Recent Posts