Mr

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Don Howell, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Don Howell

Don Howell

Hi all,

My tank has yet to be completed. I have built the stand and glass structure myself having had experience in building one before. I am amazed at new technology and obviously have a lot to learn. My tank is 2000 x 600 x 600mm with a sump tank. The one question I have is whether to use LED lighting and if so what type and capacity?

Regards

Don

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1:I'm not very bright when it comes to LED's...:blush:..so hopefully you'll get the answers you need...LED's have their advantages...mostly it's for the "electricity saving" aspect of it and also the "lack" of heat...so little heat...saves on having to get a Chiller...down side to it is the fact that a Unit that size will cost a fortune..for me anyway...:p..but there are some AMAZING DIY LED BUILDS on MASA...
    Anything DIY Related - Marine Aquariums of South Africa should find a few Threads here...but the guys busy with LED builds at the moment will Link you their Threads...

Lighting - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 28 Jan 2012
  4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome

LED lightning is the future (so they claim)
    Your tank is 600 deep, so you need the top end units. And depending on unit, will need 4 or 5 units, maybe even 6. That depends on lens angles. And before you do the calculation, first sit down. They not cheap.

6. Submariner

Submariner

Hi Don

LED's do not have to cost a harm and a leg.

The main upsides to LEDS

1 they are very efficient
    2 they transfer almost no heat to the display
    3 they are dimmable
    4 they are low voltage
    5 they last longer than any other lighting technology .

You could easily go all LED on your new tank for the price of a quality T5 lighting equivalent.

7. Don Howell

Don Howell Thread Starter

Don

Thanks for the response. I have decided to look into LED's and research has shown that possibly the Cree Premium XP-E Cool White with XP-E Royal Blue lights could provide the solution. Reds can be added but are not required. The question is how many and in what configuration? Using LED's what lighting is then required for the sump tank which is 1500x500x500mm.

I also wish to ask how important it is to have a quarantine tank and a RO system? If I have a quarantine tank what should this entail?

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Don welcome to MASA, i see we from the same town, great to have you on board.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

On your size tank, investing in your own RO unit is a must. Unless you are going the natural sea water route and take a walk down to the beach every week with 2 white drums. Good exercise. :)

Quarantine, in my opinion, is a must. I lost a lot of fish in QT. None in my display due to sickness. So yes, it is needed. But due to space limitations etc, a lot of guys do not do it.

Recent Posts