Mr butcheran

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Leon1975, 27 May 2012.

1. Leon1975

Leon1975

I see you the mainman if it comes to led ligtnig i have a 3000mm long and 800mm deep and 750 wide tnk can you pls help or give advise on what leds i can use on my tank i have on know 4 250w metal hailigts on 20000 calvins and its eating my elec.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Seabass

Seabass

Respect mr b. tagging along. Not going DIY but certainly looking at led as an option.

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I am out at the moment, but perhaps a few questions
    How much space is above your tank? What corals are you keeping? Do you want dimmable and controllable?

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Firstly leon tanks for the big compliment, but i defiantly do not know everything when it comes to LED's

Leon this is my take on LED's with regard to a tank your size. Not only is the depth a challenge, but the shear area that needs to be covered with light will require lots of LED's. These facts alone will mean the cost of such an exercises will be expensive even if you DIY everything.

I would estimate you need something like 6 or 7 units similar to what i built (but defiantly using some what larger heatsink's to obtain a larger spread of light) with a mix of 60 and 90 degree optics totaling maybe about 170 x 3watt LED's. This would reflect a power rating of 510watts vs your current 1000W. So i would look at a setup cost vs consumption to see if it is feasible to switch.

Please note this is merely a guess based on what I have experienced. I am sure there are others that have different opinions. I Recommend defiantly researching more in depth be for you undertake and commit to such an under taking. Remember there are many ways to sink a cat. and there are many different approaches to LED's

Recent Posts