Mozzi's and Moths

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by neo, 11 Feb 2010.

1. neo

neo

I have a lot of mozzi's and moths dropping into my sump during the night when the sump light is on (sump area is open), is this bad for the tank/water ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Not something we want in our tank. Why dont you cover your sump with a meshing of some sort...

4. maj

maj

In the ocean its a kinda ok for things to fall in and die as ther are millions of water to dissolve in,but in a concentrated enviromnts its best to try to avoid moths etc to die in our "cleansing chamber"(the sump)

cover it up with an easy to remove mesh

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

im lazy i just do more waterchanges :razz:

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My logic says that on a reef, or above a reef, at the open sea, there is not any insects flying around. And you will not get them falling into the water above the reef. Maybe a few, but the water volume is greater than your sump.

The exo skeletons of insects should closely resemble that of copepods, excluding the silky stuff on the wings. But insects like beetles must surely be a lot different than any marine counterpart. On the outside, but their insides should be ok.

So half of me says that it should be ok, just remove the dead bodies the next day. Certain fish like triggers will eat them anyway. And bristleworms are not fuzzy.

But other problem is that you do not know where that beetle was the night before. Did it run around the roses your neighbour sprayed with insect killer? That must surely be of more concern.

7. davidfr7

davidfr7

rose beetles,moths,wasps,bees,mozis scoop and toss works for me. I like my hands in the water so covering it up is not an option. Maybe one day when I'm big. I also know that the rose beetle in water tanks are no good it gives the water a bad taste. You got to drain the tank scrub and flush to get rid of the taste and smell.

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have a Bird Wrasse that eats any insect that is unfortunate enough to swim into the tank

Recent Posts