Moz's Tank

moz

Reaction score
Watch this space!
OK, so my tank is not set up as of yet, due to procrastination, work, studying and cycling accidents. But on Sunday my live rock arrives:slayer:,
I go get some (about 400l) NSW and the cycling of the tank begins.
Pictures will be posted.

Sounds good, but in the meantime you can post pics of the empty tank, sump and stand :D

best you post pics or i am loading the camera in the car and coming down there with lots of peronis

oh shout if you need help ian

Ok. heres an image of the empty tank, still have to complete the top doors of the stand. I'll try post pics of the sump tomorrow.
SSA40433.jpg

Looking good Moz.

Is that klight rack adjustable, looks a bit high at the moment.
Are those 150's ?

I like the woodwork.

Am I seeing right, there's no overflow on the tank? Does that blue pipe go down to a sump?

The lights might be a bit high, but I rather have them high then lower them later.
Yes the blue pipe goes down to the sump.

The lights might be a bit high, but I rather have them high then lower them later.
Yes the blue pipe goes down to the sump.

You might want to consider building a overflow box around the pipe, much better surface skimming, and you could still fit a durso in, otherwise its going sound like a flushing toilet

Didn't Tom do a modification to a pipe very similar to this setup? I think he drilled holes or cut slots into the pipe to stop the noise.

Didn't Tom do a modification to a pipe very similar to this setup? I think he drilled holes or cut slots into the pipe to stop the noise.

no he did something weird cant remember exactly what though

overflowMoz.jpg

Something like this should give you better surface skimming.

Also see if you cant upgrade to a thicker pipe as well as a backup one, you dont want something stuck in a 20mm pipe blocking it and the you have wet feet

Pipes looks like a 25mm, this is the Top. Thanks for the suggestions, but if I remember correctly with regards to the size of the pipe, increasing the size will increase the velocity of the water flowing through it, but the volume of water will remain relatively constant (Q=VA), its been 12years since I did hydralics, and vertical pipes aren't calculated with the normal formulas due to the undeffined grade, so anybody is welcome to correct me.:023:
Pipe.jpg

Pipes looks like a 25mm, this is the Top. Thanks for the suggestions, but if I remember correctly with regards to the size of the pipe, increasing the size will increase the velocity of the water flowing through it, but the volume of water will remain relatively constant (Q=VA), its been 12years since I did hydralics, and vertical pipes aren't calculated with the normal formulas due to the undeffined grade, so anybody is welcome to correct me.:023:
Pipe.jpg

Yes that (whatever it means in english) However a bigger pipe will be less prone to blockages as any algea, crabs, sand, pieces of rock etc will go through.

And trust me on this, you do want the better surface skimming than a few little slots.

Herman you are right, I guess my big problem is that I don't know how to do the changes, (The current pipe is very much fixed in place, and the hole through the base will not accomadate a larger pipe) and what do I do with 8,5kgs of live rock arriving on Sunday? Do you suggest that I remove the current top of the pipe, and set something up like shown on your sketch. That I could manage, but putting in a larger pipe will be very difficult. How far below the surface/top of tank should the overflow box be.

Ian, mine is 3 cm below the top, then about 1cm water flowing over i.e the waterlevel is 2cm below the top of the tank.
Getting the glass cut for the overflow should not be a prob, builders will do it, or Chris also will (provided we catch him before he goes for a beer.

Cutting a bigger hole into the glass is not too much of a mission however one needs to find a diamond cutting bit.

The other option is just making the pipe bigger ie 50mm, then putting a few bioballs in the pipe, this way if something gets in there water will flow around it.

Hope that makes sense (like i said let me know if you need any help)

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Have a look at this site as well

Dursos.jpg

You can do something like this

Also if need be you can keep the rock in my sump if push comes to shove

Back
Top Bottom