Mozambique Her We Come! Looking for suggestions.

Discussion in 'Reef Hunters' started by Quinton, 23 Jan 2010.

1. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

I noticed last week that I have a bunch of frequent flyer miles about to expire, so in a heady frenzy, I booked two tickets to Maputo in March.

I've never been there, and have no idea what I'm gonna do. Any suggestions welcome. I'm keen to do some snorkeling, beer drinking and general lazing around.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Quinton,

Have a look at Getaway Magazines website. They had a coll article about Moz & especially Maputo last month

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

Belated birthday present to one's self;)

5. seank

seank

Once there, hire a 4x4 and get out of there. Drive north. Have some nice seafood at Cosa de Sol

6. reefcraze

reefcraze

Cant agree more Sean, Cosa de sol, the most divine prawns. But Maputo, hell expensive and very dirty.
    Mapotu at its best!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But the 4 X 4ing was awesome!
    [​IMG]

7. seank

seank

Yip, that is how I remember Maputu. Kaik place. Anything up north is way better, but going there for two days- not enough time. Unless you take the Ferry and go to Inhaca Island

Last edited: 24 Jan 2010
  8. crispin

crispin

dont listen to them Quinton, Maputo is a great place these guys are just scared to drink in a local pub with the real mozambicans. i lived in Moz for 5 years and know the place pretty well perfectly from maputo to Quelimane and a little further North:) and i was there in the early 90's when war hadnt quite settled down yet, maputo has always been a great city, youve just got to have an exploring nature :)

2 days in maputo isnt enough time to go north frankly (too much travelling and not enough relaxing....driving in moz is NOT relaxing:)) get on the web or travel agency and try book into Inhaca (sort of what sean said) and spend some time there. Then when you are there dive or snorkel the wreck on the north side of the island or hire a dhow, buy some beers and head to the southern side of the island to a place called Ponte Torres. Its a marine reserve there and some of the most incredible snorkelling you will find anywhere. Note its best to snorkel on the in comming tide as the clearer ocean water comes through hells gates into the bay of maputo.

for my money id head to Inhaca for that trip, but there are some good resorts northwards. I wouldnt look at anything much north of Xai Xai as you will be travelling too much.

oh and the deep sea fishing might be expensive (i dont know) off Inhaca but its great, as is the shore angling from Inhaca, fly in particular :)

9. reefcraze

reefcraze

Oh ya I forgot to mention the mention the bribery and corruption, if you got a GP plates, be sure to carry at least R1000........

10. crispin

crispin

lol reefcraze, i used to take my front plate off so they wouldnt have time to stop me:p Oh and dont bother stopping for a traffic cop in malawi, the bicycles they use wont catch a landy, even when you drive real slow to tease them :)

i did loose three days of my life to sitting at the northern border between Malawi and Moz because i refused to pay the bribe to get my passport back though.

hell I could pass war stories (litterally) on moz for hours:) but all of it aside its a great place for a holiday

11. reefcraze

reefcraze

hehehe, I paid the bribe.....
    Love the diving there, best place in the world.

12. crispin

crispin

when i was living in Mocuba (google it, its in the middle of no where!) i met some SA 4x4 guys in quelimane who were looking for adventure. I invited them to stay at my place for a few days. Its a three hour drive over what was some interesting roads and bridges and i choose a rout that needed a little getting wet, but nothing i didnt do daily......took them 2 days with 23 winchings and one flooded engine (ok it was a little wet) but i managed perfectly.

they stayed with me for two weeks in the end helping to build bridges i needed to get to some of the bee sites I had. As there are so many landmines we couldnt go off road at all, so it was using a chain saw and lashing the trunks together to make bridges, great fun but not when its your daily chore

13. reefcraze

reefcraze

The best/worst we experienced, was 4x4ing from Maputo to Ponta Do Oure, man was it wet.......... but great fun!

14. Quinton

Quinton Thread Starter Smarty-pants Newbie

Thanks guys! Invaluable info. We arrive in Maputo Thu arvie, and fly out again on Monday arvie. Sounds like we should focus on Inhaca Island, with some day trips from there. Due to ferry schedules we might end up having to spend a night in Maputo, where we can sample the nightlife.

Next time we'll plan a longer stay and a 4x4, and head North.

Thanks again for all the helpful info!

Q

15. Quinton

Quinton Thread Starter Smarty-pants Newbie

Hello dudes. Struggling to find appropriate accommodation on Inhaca island. Any help appreciated. The only 3 places I can find info on are:

1. Pestana Inhaca Island Lodge - at around R1200 pppn (a bit rich, and frankly quite boring looking)

2. Ramos Ram Campus - R250 pppn (looks a bit skanky, although online reviews are good)

3. Manico Cabins - R420 pppn (also looks pretty skanky).

Anyone stayed at any of these places? Any recommendations?

Also, from what I've read, the Ferry only operates on Sat and Sun. How does one get to and from Inhaca on the other days of the week? I see there's an air strip on the island, but can't seem to find a way to book a flight online. Anyone that can help?

Q

16. seank

seank

Take a tent dude

17. lIghty

lIghty

Not sure Quinton, I normally sleep on the yacht when we go there, Have you tried "where to stay".co.za, not sure if they cover it?

Recent Posts