Moving-time to add other substrate?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Mtroboer, 28 Jan 2009.

1. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi all, I will probably be moving over the weekend. Cybervic was so kind as to lend me a tank to use while I set up my own tank. There's a few things bothering me about my current setup like the crushed coral I have as a substrate that I want to rectify, but is scared of putting my tank through a cycle. I will be going to Uvongo in a week and a halve's time and would like to some bring lifesand with me. Do you guys think the LS will survive the 9hr drive and what would the impact on my tank be if I use only the seasand as substrate? I will plumb a container of sorts containg my current substrate to the tank to help in the beginnig with seeding, will this help?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

When I upgraded my tank I removed my crushed coral for aragonite without any ill effects even with SPS's. I do have a lot of LR though. I just added the new substrate to the new tank and transfered the rocks, fish and corals

4. crispin

crispin

hey mt:)

moving is always a great time to redo the small things we never get to do at other times and changing from crushed corral should be a great improvment. Personally (and its IMHO) i dont like seasand as a substrate in tanks as it looks unnatural, aragonite maybe expensive but it has great advanatges with astherics and micro life in it. If cost is a major concern perhaps have a look at using playsand well washed instead. Atleast its white and makes for a good display.

as to a 9 hour drive without oxygen and then add 2 hours to stop and hook up to electricity the other end, i would have thought that will seriously stress and harm LS. Personally i would sell and restart, certainly fish, but you mayfind die off and spikes happening to the lr too, so be careful

5. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Hey Crispin, thanks for the advice, I will try to minimize die-off by transporting everyting in tank water and will immediately put everything into a tank I have set up as a holding system. Will also set my skimmer wet as well as add a powerfilter with filterfloss to mechanically remove all the cr@p that will be stirred up. Will then add the crushed coral with some old water, then the LR, the corals and lastly my fish, will wait for all the detritus to settle first though! Any suggestions?

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

That sounds good MtroBoer! Just as long as you keep the water the fish and corals are in, at the same temperature as your tank's water is/was.....

7. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Ja, thanx Jacques will be moving everything to the holding tank immediately, as well as adding the heaters on current settings, the scrubber, DSB and skimmer etc!

8. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

The only thing I'm really worried about is a new cycle due to all the muck that will be stirred up during the move!

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Do 100% WC, that will get rid of the "muck"

10. Tony

Tony

Like I said I had not problem moving a whole tank full of SPS's and changing the substrate.

11. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Use a small container of the old substrate and as muc of the old water as you can manage, also try to make up as much spare new water as you can, also try to get as many ice blocks as you can to keep the temp cool while transporting your fish.

12. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

OK, no casualties this far, everything is in the temporary tank and is looking good. I kept my fish in a container with "clean water" and put the rest in a container and ran a filter with floss, a filter with carbon and my skimmer untill the water was clear and then added the water, rocks and substrate to the tank. Will add my lights tonight, the rest is all up and running, I also bought 20 kg's of playsand to use as a substrate when I set my tank up. Just as well I organized a holding tank as I discovered quite a few places on my cabinet that needs attention!

Last edited: 2 Feb 2009
  13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Glad to hear all went well. Change what you can now while fish are in holding tank and doing fine - might not get a chance later :p

14. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Thanx Tobes, will surely do so!:thumbup:

Recent Posts