Moving Tank

Reaction score
Ive currently got a 220 litre setup and upgrading to about double the size. I've got all the equipment for the new setup but just no place to run two tanks. I've read on the forum of members upgrading and transferring all livestock(fish and corals). i need some advise on how to do this?

Keyaam, setup the new tank and fill it with water and LR from you old tank (Keeping livestock in drums). Then fill the balance with water (NSW or Synthetic) There after move all livestock over, keeping an eye on water parameters ie. Amonia, nitrite and nitrate as you might just spikes.

Keyaam, can you set up the new tank straight away or does it have to go where the existing one is now?

Can i perhaps add anything to lower the chances of a huge ammonia spike. My substrate has lots life in it and dont wanna lose it

i had to do the same thing and lost some livestock in the process.

Would there be a major huge ammonia spike if he where to take the substrate out gradually and place it in the new tank with a bit of the old tanks water (with a pump to keep the flow) ie there is no more substrate to cause spikes?

Then
try and organize a O2 bottle so that he can place all his livestock into bags and float the livestock in a drum
Drain out the old tank
move the new one into position place the water back into the new tank with alot of new water
then finally acclimate the fish slowly in the new system
as you would when getting a new fish/coral

i just think it is a good idea to put livestock in bags as placing them into the drum and having to re catch them is very stressful.

Mike, Keyaam has to move one tank and place the new one in the same spot, i think thats why he has to rush it.

Ok, heres what i have done previously with good results;-

You will need, plenty of spare containers for old and new water, prepare as much spare new water as you can.
Collect and retain as much tank water as you can - seriously, once you start to move things your tank water will go bad - due to the stress involved and the moving of rock, so collect off 25-30% of your tank water first, the rest i would discard.
Remove the all tank water you can.
Remove all the live rock and coral into containers with more tank water, give the live rock a shake to remove detritus as you take it from the tank.
Once all the rock/coral is removed, catch all your fish and place them amoungst the coral/ live rock - they will be albe to hide so less stress.
Empty tank and remove.
Replace with new tank.
Add live rock and NEW substrate (keep a couple of cupfulls of old substrate to seed new) you will need to prepare new substrate before starting the move.
Add as much tank water as you have collected in step one, then fill with fresh which should be the same temp and salinity as the old.
Add live rock+coral
Add fish by acclimatising them in the usual fashion.
Finally, and very slowly, add your CUC to the new tank.

I have replaced over 40 tanks using this method with great success, i'm not saying it is the only way, but it is the only way I would go. Good luck and be prepared for a very long day.
Add liverock and coral

Back
Top Bottom