Moving Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by nepellew, 24 Mar 2015.

1. nepellew

nepellew

Hi guys i am looking at moving home and of course my beloved tank i would like to know what is the easiest way to go about moving my fish , tank and corals my new place is only like 7km away which is not far but any advice would be greatly appreciated:m106::m106::m106::m106:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef-O

Reef-O

I did it once....WHAT A MISSION...

PUT THE FISH AND CORAL IN THOSE STYROFOAM BOXES THE LFS USUALLY GET THEIR FISH IN AND SEAL IT WITH TAPE..IT DOESN'T LOOSE HEAT EASILY SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO RUSH THE MOVING OF UR TANK..

THEN DRAIN WATER INTO MANY DRUMS AND PUT IT BACK IN AT UR NEW PLACE:m106:.

RUN EVERYTHING AS PER NORMAL AND ONLY ADD UR LIVESTOCK etc..
    WHEN WATER IS UP TO TEMP:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

shaunn likes this.
  4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Least stressful way is to set up a proper holding tank before the move. Transfer all livestock to this, then move tank. There often issues with setting up the tank again, pipes dont fit, you missing an elbow, pipes need to be re-glued etc, so having livestock in a stable temporary setup will give you time to fix all those things without stressing things out by being in a bucket. Once tank is running then you can transfer all the livestock back.

5. shaneparkins

shaneparkins

I paid to have it all moved, didnt have to do anything, and all was moved and re-setup in a matter of hours, didnt loose anything.

6. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hope my nennies dont decide to walk :eek:

7. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Haha well one nennie did pass away have no clue what happened but other is now in my main display soo trying to make sure he survives

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First
    What is the size of your tank?

250L and less... EASY
    above that, a full days work.

Do not move the tank on the same day you do the rest of the house. Do it on another day. So you can focus on one thing and one thing only.

I'm not using cooler boxes anymore either. I found that after a few hours the temperature differences between the cooler boxes and whatever I used to move the rest of the water too big. Rather use the same type of containers for all the water, rocks, corals and fish. That way you do not need to re-acclimatize all the fish and corals at the end of the day.OK, it does depends on how much water you need to move and how many containers you do have.

9. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Ok great thanks for the Good advice well my tank is only 170L soo its not too big lucky and most of evrything on it is plug and play soo its not too long to take down and put back up again soo tank is a easy move the only thing i am worried really about is my Fish i have a Regal Tang , Yellow tang cleaner shrimp , cleaner goby , and a mandrin oh and how could i forget my 2 clowns haha

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Place your rocks in buckets. I use old salt buckets. Put them in stable, so that they cannot fall around. If only one rock per tub, does not matter. Then I split the fish between the buckets, so that they have a rock to hide under or against. It is a lot more natural for them than a sterile clean white environment. They stress a lot less this way.

But be sure you cannot have mini rockfalls inside those tubs. No point in making fish sushi.

Don't put all the fish in one bucket either.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do not fill the bucket all the way to the top. Makes it easier to carry and you will have a lot less of a change of bumping it against your leg than carrying a heavy bucket.

Put the lid on top, do not seal until you are ready to move the buckets. Airpump and airstones will help, else just stirr the water every now and then.

12. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

ok great thanks for everyone who had their imput def helps i guess im mainly worried about my yello tang and regal tang they get ws soo easly

13. Ricky W

Ricky W

Rather use a mug instead of a rock.

Recent Posts